Corsair Community

Issues with Ram on a x570 with 3700x

echo_three

So after running a 3570k for 7 years or so I finally upgraded to an AMD 3700x, Gigabyte x570 Ultra, replaced my 7 year old H100 with an H150i and replaced my Corsair LP DDr3 Ram with some nice and RGBy Vengence Pro 3600Mhz (4x 8GB). Replaced the drives too.

Ram serial is CMW16GX4M2C3600C18W. 2X 8gb sticks and bought 2 lots.

I carried on using my trusty AX850 and a few fans from my old system.

Built everything up just over a month ago and had no initial issue (although had only just built it so time was spent downloading updated and stuff).

Two days later I updated the Bios as I was keen to get the new fan profiles for the mobo fan and generally newer Bios. After running the Gigabyte Bios updater (within windows) the pc was meant to restart, finishing the Bios update and then launch you into Bios with default settings. However, this is where the issues started. It didn't restart, it just turned off and I had a constant Dram LED on the mobo and wouldn't boot.

I started off just reting to restart it a few times and got nothing, tried dropping 2 ram sticks, tried using just one, tried each stick in each ram slot.

Nothing would get it past the Dram LED. I ended up stealing 2x 4gb DDr4 sticks out of my daughters Ryzen build. Booted first time, got the Bios finishing update screen, then posted straight into Bios. Left everything at default and posted to windows.

After this i put my original Ram back into the machine and it booted into Bios, then on into Windows. After installing the newer x570 chipset everything seemed to be ok. This is apart from the machine restarting. No BSoD, no crash report, windows event viewer states that machine shutdown

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Now this might happen after 7 hours or after three, a couple of nights it hasn't happened at all. Most night it happens 2-3 times.

This morning I decided to update to the newest Bios released a few days ago. Same thing where it wouldn't post straight after. Dram LED constant.

Pulled Ram, tried each stick, in each slot, nothing. Stole my daughters Ram again, posted first time. Same as last time. Bear in mind that this is with all default settings.

So after suing my daughter Ram to finish the Bios update I put 2 stick on my memory back in, Dram LED, tried one, the same, tried each stick in each slot until on my last stick, first ram slot worked, it proceeded to work in each slot and post to Bios, I then tried another stick, and now, it seemed that I could get into Bios each time. after retrying all 4 sticks on their own each was working, so i tried 2 sticks. Then I tried the other two sticks and each pair would work on their own in either of the sets of slots. However if i put them in together it doesn't work and I just get the Dram LED.

Also, just a side note, when testing the ram this last time round on single stick it would post to bios straight away, when using either pair of two sticks it would initially on the first post take around 2 minutes to get into Bios. After that its a normaly 15 seconds or so. When plugging into all 4 sticks it just sits in this post loop where the Dram LED is on constantly but flicks to the CPU Led every 30 seconds or so before flicking straight back to Dram LED.

While trying to figure out the issues with the reboots I had run prime 95 for around 4 hours, no issues, ran through 4 passes of memtest86 with 0 errors and was looking at the possibility of replacing my PSU. Now I think that theres a fault with my ram, or my board, or something else.

The place that I bought all the new parts from have said to send them back the ram, but I worry that they plug it in and it works fine. They said that if this happens I would have send them my full rig and pay to have it looked at.

I'm really lost with this, fed up as hell and regretting ever upgrading.

Please Help,

So I'm a little lost.

So after running a 3570k for 7 years or so I finally upgraded to an AMD 3700x, Gigabyte x570 Ultra, replaced my 7 year old H100 with an H150i and replaced my Corsair LP DDr3 Ram with some nice and RGBy Vengence Pro 3600Mhz (4x 8GB). Replaced the drives too.

Ram serial is CMW16GX4M2C3600C18W. 2X 8gb sticks and bought 2 lots.

I carried on using my trusty AX850 and a few fans from my old system.

Built everything up just over a month ago and had no initial issue (although had only just built it so time was spent downloading updated and stuff).

Two days later I updated the Bios as I was keen to get the new fan profiles for the mobo fan and generally newer Bios. After running the Gigabyte Bios updater (within windows) the pc was meant to restart, finishing the Bios update and then launch you into Bios with default settings. However, this is where the issues started. It didn't restart, it just turned off and I had a constant Dram LED on the mobo and wouldn't boot.

I started off just reting to restart it a few times and got nothing, tried dropping 2 ram sticks, tried using just one, tried each stick in each ram slot.

Nothing would get it past the Dram LED. I ended up stealing 2x 4gb DDr4 sticks out of my daughters Ryzen build. Booted first time, got the Bios finishing update screen, then posted straight into Bios. Left everything at default and posted to windows.

After this i put my original Ram back into the machine and it booted into Bios, then on into Windows. After installing the newer x570 chipset everything seemed to be ok. This is apart from the machine restarting. No BSoD, no crash report, windows event viewer states that machine shutdown

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Now this might happen after 7 hours or after three, a couple of nights it hasn't happened at all. Most night it happens 2-3 times.

This morning I decided to update to the newest Bios released a few days ago. Same thing where it wouldn't post straight after. Dram LED constant.

Pulled Ram, tried each stick, in each slot, nothing. Stole my daughters Ram again, posted first time. Same as last time. Bear in mind that this is with all default settings.

So after suing my daughter Ram to finish the Bios update I put 2 stick on my memory back in, Dram LED, tried one, the same, tried each stick in each slot until on my last stick, first ram slot worked, it proceeded to work in each slot and post to Bios, I then tried another stick, and now, it seemed that I could get into Bios each time. after retrying all 4 sticks on their own each was working, so i tried 2 sticks. Then I tried the other two sticks and each pair would work on their own in either of the sets of slots. However if i put them in together it doesn't work and I just get the Dram LED.

Also, just a side note, when testing the ram this last time round on single stick it would post to bios straight away, when using either pair of two sticks it would initially on the first post take around 2 minutes to get into Bios. After that its a normaly 15 seconds or so. When plugging into all 4 sticks it just sits in this post loop where the Dram LED is on constantly but flicks to the CPU Led every 30 seconds or so before flicking straight back to Dram LED.

While trying to figure out the issues with the reboots I had run prime 95 for around 4 hours, no issues, ran through 4 passes of memtest86 with 0 errors and was looking at the possibility of replacing my PSU. Now I think that theres a fault with my ram, or my board, or something else.

The place that I bought all the new parts from have said to send them back the ram, but I worry that they plug it in and it works fine. They said that if this happens I would have send them my full rig and pay to have it looked at.

I'm really lost with this, fed up as hell and regretting ever upgrading.

Please Help,

So I'm a little lost.

Just FYI there is no guarantee that 2 ram kits even with the same model and version will work together without issues. The best scenario is getting a 4 stick kit to ensure they were tested together. Hopefully you did not get them mixed up while testing as it maybe difficult to know what were the matching pairs if you didn't keep track somehow. I think if your mixing two of the same kits the general wisdom is to at least keep each kit (bundled pair) in the same channel. (someone might correct me if I'm wrong on that)

Question:

- Does your board support bios flashback or re-flashing with the same bios?

- If you only put 2 sticks (of the same matching kit) in (dimm slots A2, B2, channel 1) can you post?

- What memory speed is it posting at in that scenario?

I don't know about anybody else but I'm particularly paranoid about flashing BIOS so I tend to do so very carefully to avoid a bad or interrupted flash especially since I don't have any safety feature for my board. (if we go with the idea that maybe you are having some ram issue) If your memory was kicking errors while flashing maybe your BIOS/UEFI flash got messed up in the process.

This is what I would do if you can post successfully starting with a single stick of ram in slot A2:

01) On a different known stable computer prepare a USB stick with your intended good BIOS/UEFI per your motherboard instructions

02) Clear CMOS per your motherboard instructions

03) Reset your BIOS/UEFI to defaults, reboot

04) Confirm your memory is running on AUTO settings for your RAM

05) Lower the speed to DDR4-2133 if it is not running at that speed already

06) Memtest86 to make sure it is stable

07) Reflash from USB using BIOS/UEFI (NOT Windows) according to your motherboard instructions

08) After reflash is complete reboot, then reset to bios defaults, then reboot

09) Retest with memtest86 to make sure it is stable

10) Install one kit only in dual-channel in A2 & B2 and retest ram.

11) Assuming you can boot in Windows at this time grab the AMD chipset drivers from AMD (not motherboard vendor) and reinstall those

12) Install to the new Ryzen Master so you can validate your memory settings

13) Run at DDR4-2133 for awhile (maybe a week or so) see if it behaves

14) If no problem try reapplying XMP and run for awhile (maybe a week or so)

15) If no problem reduce speed to DDR4-2133 and install the full set of ram (4 sticks) and run for awhile (maybe a week or so)

16) If no problem try reapplying XMP with all 4 sticks of ram and run for awhile (maybe a week or so)

Edited by A Computer Guy

Thanks for the reply.

Not that it means anything buy the serial numbers on the ram run consecutively ends in 998, 999, 000, 001.

Yes my boards supports flashback/re-flashing etc with whatever bios you want to put on.

I can post now with either:

1 stick, any of the 4 modules in any of the 4 slots,

2 sticks, either of the two kits in either channel (a1+b1 or a2+b2)

I cannot post with all 4 sticks as it just sits on the Dram Post LED.

All of this is with no changes made to Bios and everything at default. Default memory speed is 2133mhz.

Currently I have two sticks in and I can enable XMP and it gives me the right speed (memory clock set to 1800).

I will try to re-flash the Bios again and see what happens. On previous systems I haven't really bothered with updating the Bios however with this being a new launch of CPU and Boards I wanted to make sure to keep it up to date, especially with the issues of the Ryzen 3000 series (Poor boost performance and idle voltage).

Working through your list you mentioned:

01) I have the most recent Bios loaded on a stick

02) Once I initially updated the Bios (this is the second time updating it, once when new in which I had exactly the same Dram Post LED, and once more after Gigabyte releasing an update) I tried clearing Cmos.

03) Everything is set to default within Bios

04) Now it posts fine with 2x sticks on Auto

05) Don't think I can go lower than default 2400mhz

06) Ran 4x passes on memtest86 around 7-8 hours with no errors before updating the Bios. This was when I had all 4 sticks installed and it was posting although I was getting the random reboots with no BSOD

07) This is where I'm up too, going to re-flash the Bios now and see what happens. I have a feeling that once I have flashing the Bios, it will not boot with any of the Corsair memory and I will have to put in my daughters ram again to finalise it/get it to post but we will see.

As a side note, running last night with 2x sticks of Ram I was palying wither 3 for around 5 hours without a reboot or any other issues. Only Bios setting that was enable/changed was that XMP was enabled.

Edited by echo_three

Update as of this morning.

For ease Pair 1 is the currently not working, Pair 2 was working all last night whilst playing the Witcher.

So after running for a few hours last night with pair 2 and all being well I thought this morning that I would again try swapping the ram over. First I set all setting to default within Bios and then rebooted a few times to make sure that pair 2 was fine. All seemed ok. Swapped to pair 1, Dram LED. Not working. Tried both slots with the pair of ram and nothing. Went back to pair 2, took about 90 seconds to boot, but it worked, rebooted a few times, seems ok, swapped pair 2 to the other slots and again, posted, bios, windows, all ok.

So i went back to pair 1, nothing, tried a few restarts and always hangs on Dram LED.

Went back to pair 2. booted fine, went into Bios, re-flashed Bios. Same Bios, no update or anything, just a reflash. As I can access Bios I'm re-flashing within Bios, after getting to 100% it then restarts. Cept it hangs on Dram LED for about 90 seconds before moving onto GPU LED. No boot, no bios.

Restarted, hangs on the Dram LED and then Boots into Bios, then into windows. Several restarts to check, all seem fine, straight into windows. Tried a few times with taking the power lead out as well and all good.

So, back to Ram pair 1. No boot, no bios just Dram LED. Powered off and restarted, went from Dram LED to GPU LED, restarted and got to Bios splash screen and it froze. Restart, get straight into Windows. Powered off and on and back into Windows. Seems Ok. I'm writing this with the system power up and working. For now.

All during this time Bios has been set to default settings and nothing changed.

Now I'm going to swap pair 1, which seems to be running and ok to the other slots, if that works I'm going to try again with all 4.

So i swapped pair 1 into the other slots (they were in the slots labeled 'First'), booted fine, bios and windows, swapped to pair 2 just to check and again booted into bios and windows fine.

Installed both pairs, no boot, no bios just hangs on Dram LED. Try a few reboots, all the same, left it for around 10 minutes just to see and no change, powered off and plugged from the wall a few times to see if anything and nope, just the same.

Swapped the pairs around pair 1 into slot 1, pair two into slot 2 and vice versa, no difference. So i removed Pair 2, as these were in slot two at the time and left just Pair 1 on Slots 1.

No boot, same thing as when both pairs were installed. tried both slots 1/2 and tried powering on and off a few times to see what happens and just hangs on Dram LED.

Swapped back to pair 2, slots 1. booted first time no issues, tried the other slots and same, booted fine, bios etc no issues.

Go back to pair 1, no boot, hangs on Dram LED.

Swap back to pair 2. Working fine. Once again this is all on default settings and not changing anything.

The main issues I have here are that I'm outside of my 30 days return policy with the store. They have that I would need to send the Ram back to them let them test it, and then if faulty send it back to Corsair for an RMA.

With one set of Ram seemingly working fine, should I just send back the one set?

Apologies for the walls of text but I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss anything.

Thanks for any and all help.

So to summarize ... Pair 1 = Bad, Pair 2 = Good?

Run your good pair in the primary channel A2+B2 and enjoy.

Well you can try I guess to send the bad kit back and see what happens.

If you do end up getting a replacement check both the model and version number cause maybe you won't get one with the same version number back. In that case don't bother trying to combine them again just use whatever kit performs the best.

If the version numbers between your two kits are the same after replacement you can optionally try to run them both again and see what happens.

x570 is still quite new so perhaps there is some incompatibility or other growing pains with the platform. Have you tried contacting Gigabyte?

If you want 32GB total consider getting a 32GB 2-dimm kit (dual rank) but consult your motherboard QVL list of course. If your motherboard ram topology is daisy-chain this will likely workout better for you.

You might look around on the internet and see what kits seem to be working well with similar parts and in what configuration.

Edited by A Computer Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, it could be issues with CMW16GX4M2C3600C18W and AM4. I have similar problems with 16Gb kit (2x8) on different mb (Asus x470 Crosshair VII Hero) and restarts.

With older bios the ram works ok, i can use xmp and change mem settings but have a warm boot stuck at post. If i wait a little, like 30-60 secs it boots normally and windows reboots with no problem.

With newer bioses there are issues. The default settings do post, but i can't restart windows. I can't use xmp anymore. I can't change Dram voltage, Dram boot voltage or ram clocks coz it can't post after that. No-matter what i do the system doesn't finish post. It either stuck at cpu red led with post 4d or cycle reboots with the same signals. On clear CMOS helps.

echo_three, you said your default clocks are 2400? Mine i 2133, what are yours xmp timings?