Corsair Community

Duplicate Devices after PC Reset

ljwalker

Hi all,

I'm new to the whole Water Cooling thing, and while it works well, I (as many) am having trouble with the Corsair Link software. But, I don't think I've quite found others with this exact issue.

When I come back after resetting, all my stuff shows 0, and there are duplicates of all my devices on the left that are showing properly. GPU fan showing 0 and red is normal, but when I come back it's 0 and gray, with a new flashing red one on the left panel. New groups have been added for these duplicate devices...up to 26 groups now (started with single digits).

Any help would be appreciated!

I set it up like below (sorry for big image):

http://i.imgur.com/48OQHrl.jpg

Yep, same. Delete and they came back next time.

So, I went to uninstall the program...but it wasn't even in my uninstall list. That was weird. When I tried to run the uninstall shortcut in my start menu, it said "this program isn't installed." Very weird...brand spankin' new computer, just built it yesterday. New clean Windows install and everything. Yet it didn't see Link as being installed (yet it was still running on startup :p)

So, I manually uninstalled...deleted most mentions of corsair from my registry and deleted all files/folders. Now I've reinstalled it (with some issues, it decided to lock up my PC at the end of the install).

After reinstalling it showed properly in my programs/uninstall list...but now it's gone again.

WTF is with this program, honestly?

Duplicate icons will continue to occur until the reason its happening is fixed,its usually cause by another usb device interfering which can be another device connected to a m/b header or something as simple as a flash drive ,,kb,mouse that's connected to a front port.

I have a Tom Tom Gps that causes this every time so I fixed the issue by connecting the hydro to a rear external port...

Ah, well that's...weird. I may look in to it...but seems like a chore to run a cord out of the case to a USB port.

I actually went ahead and uninstalled Link...or rather, deleted everything related to it because it was, again, not on my uninstall list, and acting as if it wasn't installed (even though it was there and running as I looked). I'll just stick to using other methods of tracking my temps, I suppose. Also unhooked the USB for now since without Link there's no point....and hooked the radiator fans to my CPU Fan Headers to stop the annoying CPU Fan error every time I start up...

Basically, other than the water cooler itself working well, the whole experience is pretty bad :p

One trick we've found that tends to solve these kinds of problems is just clicking "Reset to Default" on the Options tab of Link.
Might fix the problem in the first post...but probably not the fact that Link keeps seemingly uninstalling itself (without really uninstalling, since it still runs on sartup). It's happened 3 times now. Can't be seen by the default windows uninstaller or CCleaner...and the "Uninstall Corsair Link" shortcut tells me the program isn't installed. So I just went ahead and deleted everything related and cleaned the registry, and will keep it off of my computer until it's no longer regarded as a poor piece of software by the masses :p

• 2 weeks later...

Similar problem here too.

I have two incidents of both the Asus Nividia 970 GTX fan and the temp for same.

One temp shows zero and one fan shows grey in colour.

The other temp shows 35 degree celsius and the other fan is pulsing in a red colour.

Here's a screen shot....

Anyone know how to fix this?

618198450_CorsairLinkScreenShot.thumb.jpg.aa26ed59e637cccca68722fa2c93c1b0.jpg

One trick we've found that tends to solve these kinds of problems is just clicking "Reset to Default" on the Options tab of Link.

Thanks for the tip.

This got rid of the duplicate incidents of the Asus Nividia Geforce 970 GTX in the left pane of the Corsair Link interface, but the fan is still zero rotations and pulsing a red colour.

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the tip.

This got rid of the duplicate incidents of the Asus Nividia Geforce 970 GTX in the left pane of the Corsair Link interface, but the fan is still zero rotations and pulsing a red colour.

That's normal, the fan on your GTX 970 is powering down when idle.

That's normal, the fan on your GTX 970 is powering down when idle.

Thanks Dustin.

I have checked the GTX 970 fan by running the ASUS GPU Tweak software, testing the fan in "manual" mode and it works fine, so I set it back to "auto" again, and it can pulse red at zero revs all it likes until it gets called up to perform as the GTX 970 demands.

• 3 weeks later...

If you reset it will be back to normal but only for one time. The problem is you need to then allocate the fans according to which sensor you want it to correspond to every time you reboot.

Corsair should fix this!

If you reset it will be back to normal but only for one time. The problem is you need to then allocate the fans according to which sensor you want it to correspond to every time you reboot.

Corsair should fix this!

What he said................................ fix it Corsair!

• Corsair Employee

It *is* being fixed. The software in general is being fixed; we're actually focusing on CL4 right now, which is a total rewrite and start from scratch with far more resources dedicated to it than CL2 and CL3 had. Nobody wants to put the current version of Link behind us as much as we do.

But keep in mind that just writing in a fix and releasing it to end users isn't actually an option. That fix has to be tested and confirmed to actually BE fixed on a variety of platforms, and validations can take a couple of weeks to thoroughly test it. Other issues may also be higher priority, and that can leave less important usability issues hanging out to dry for a while.

The hope is that with CL4, we'll be able to nip a lot of these problems in the bud and be able to be more agile and proactive.

It *is* being fixed. The software in general is being fixed; we're actually focusing on CL4 right now, which is a total rewrite and start from scratch with far more resources dedicated to it than CL2 and CL3 had. Nobody wants to put the current version of Link behind us as much as we do.

So what happened to fixing what you've put out. Remember the promises from Cool Guy? We were told CL3 was going to be the fix, and now Corsair is again promising some new total rewrite, god knows when. I have to say even I'm surprised on how badly Corsair has mangled this. This has been poorly handled, and Corsair is making it clear that shoveling new **** out the door is more important than making what has been sold work with the features promised! I'm more disgusted than ever with Corsair.

It *is* being fixed. The software in general is being fixed; we're actually focusing on CL4 right now, which is a total rewrite and start from scratch with far more resources dedicated to it than CL2 and CL3 had.

Will CL4 correctly implement Global\Access_CorsairLink? See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=729115.

Will CL4 have 3rd party application support? See http://forums.aida64.com/topic/1596-corsair-link-information/.

• Corsair Employee
So what happened to fixing what you've put out. Remember the promises from Cool Guy? We were told CL3 was going to be the fix, and now Corsair is again promising some new total rewrite, god knows when. I have to say even I'm surprised on how badly Corsair has mangled this. This has been poorly handled, and Corsair is making it clear that shoveling new **** out the door is more important than making what has been sold work with the features promised! I'm more disgusted than ever with Corsair.

The fact is that Link was pretty badly mangled at its inception, poorly supported on the software side for a while, and a large amount of work has gone into essentially untying that knot.

So how do you want it? Do you want us to focus on bughunting the living daylights out of CL2 and CL3, or do you want us to focus on correcting the original problem?

Will CL4 correctly implement Global\Access_CorsairLink? See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=729115.

That's dev side, so we won't know until we have an alpha to test. Suffice to say, everybody important has seen your continuing complaints about this.

Will CL4 have 3rd party application support? See http://forums.aida64.com/topic/1596-corsair-link-information/.

No.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. Dustin isn't talking about abandoning support for any of the hardware currently out there, he's talking about a new version of the software which controls that hardware. You'll still be getting Corsair Link software, what does it matter to you whether they keep patching the old software base or start from scratch, as long as the final program they deliver ends up doing what it's supposed to? It's not like you'll have to buy the new Link software, after all.

I'm not a programmer by trade, but I've done enough to know that if your software is based on a sub-optimal foundation, applying patches & updates is only good for so long before you wind up with really messy code. At some point you're better off going back to the beginning and rebuilding the foundation, taking what you learned from the original software and building a new codebase that's better structured, more efficient and better equipped for future additions & enhancements.

I'm certainly not thrilled that it might mean extra time waiting for the initial release of CL4, but I do know that sometimes a company has to bite the bullet and think long-term rather than go for the quick fix. I'm glad Corsair recognized the need to devote more resources to this product. Now we'll see if they can actually follow through.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. Dustin isn't talking about abandoning support for any of the hardware currently out there, he's talking about a new version of the software which controls that hardware. You'll still be getting Corsair Link software, what does it matter to you whether they keep patching the old software base or start from scratch, as long as the final program they deliver ends up doing what it's supposed to? It's not like you'll have to buy the new Link software, after all.

The issue, is that I bought a Corsair cooler, because of link, because I wanted something that would do what was promised. I spent over 30 days troubleshooting with Corsair support, at which point they admitted that much of what I wanted just doesn't work.

So about 1.5 years later, a solution is no closer. Corsair told us that v3 was going to fix everything. Now they are telling us it will be v4. I bought something expecting it to work. The problem is that after 1.5 years of promises, and promise after promise being made and broken, I don't see things any closer here. Just the same platitudes that it will be fixed soon! LOL

On 2/11 Cool Guy came onto the forum and promised that Corsair wouldn't release a new version of the software, that didn't fix the big outstanding issues. He listed them. Things like H100i connection problems, issues with the LED's on the H100i, issues with firmware updates, and having to edit the registry. Shortly after Corsair released a new version, as they had new coolers coming out, and we were told none of those fixes were present. So, this is a great example of how Corsair makes promises, but fails to uphold them.

I suspect that just about the time the sun goes supernova, that Corsair will release a version of link, that addresses the outstanding issues. I find all the Corsair comments about how long this takes as pitiful, as this very forum has someone who has made Corsair products work better than Link can. Yet Corsair won't even talk with this person about using their software as a springboard to move their product along quickly.

If you wish to hang your hopes on a new ground up development, I wish you luck. Just remember that these promises are not new, and Corsair's track record is horrible.

The fact is that Link was pretty badly mangled at its inception, poorly supported on the software side for a while, and a large amount of work has gone into essentially untying that knot.

So how do you want it? Do you want us to focus on bughunting the living daylights out of CL2 and CL3, or do you want us to focus on correcting the original problem?

Thank you for your direct answers. I know the best option is to start from scratch and am happy to hear you have finally have the resources to do this.

I am wondering what is planned in terms of addressing the firmware issues, for example http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=757703.

That's dev side, so we won't know until we have an alpha to test. Suffice to say, everybody important has seen your continuing requests.

I guess all I can do is hope. Within SIV there are multiple threads that access CL hardware and for even one instance of SIV to work these threads need to interlock. I expect CL 4 will have the same requirement, need to use a lock and hope they use the one I requested.

No.

OK. This is not an issue for HWiNFO and SIV if CL V4 implents the lock. I suspect if the lock is there AIDA64 may gain CL support.

On 2/11 Cool Guy came onto the forum and promised that Corsair wouldn't release a new version of the software, that didn't fix the big outstanding issues. He listed them. Things like H100i connection problems, issues with the LED's on the H100i, issues with firmware updates, and having to edit the registry. Shortly after Corsair released a new version, as they had new coolers coming out, and we were told none of those fixes were present. So, this is a great example of how Corsair makes promises, but fails to uphold them.

That's still inconsistent. Bottom line, you want a Corsair Link software package that works. They aren't saying the outstanding issues are not going to get resolved in CL4. In fact, it sounds like what they're saying is starting from scratch will make it easier to resolve those issues than continually trying to patch the older codebase. Could that potentially lead to more of a delay initially? Yes, and that sucks. Then again, it could also make things go more smoothly because writing the code for the updates might not require working around the idiosyncrasies of the old codebase. Time will tell. They've certainly had their share of people telling them variations of "the Link software sucks all around, scrap it and start over!". So they were going to have some people unhappy no matter which route they took.

But keep in mind that just writing in a fix and releasing it to end users isn't actually an option. That fix has to be tested and confirmed to actually BE fixed on a variety of platforms, and validations can take a couple of weeks to thoroughly test it. Other issues may also be higher priority, and that can leave less important usability issues hanging out to dry for a while.

The hope is that with CL4, we'll be able to nip a lot of these problems in the bud and be able to be more agile and proactive.

Will this have any impact on the firmware issue with the H100i that's preventing me from running CL3 or even later versions of CL2? Is the hope that CL4 will be able to handle the H100i without the need for a firmware fix, or will new firmware still be required at some point?

• Corsair Employee
The issue, is that I bought a Corsair cooler, because of link, because I wanted something that would do what was promised. I spent over 30 days troubleshooting with Corsair support, at which point they admitted that much of what I wanted just doesn't work.

So about 1.5 years later, a solution is no closer. Corsair told us that v3 was going to fix everything. Now they are telling us it will be v4. I bought something expecting it to work. The problem is that after 1.5 years of promises, and promise after promise being made and broken, I don't see things any closer here. Just the same platitudes that it will be fixed soon! LOL

I suspect that just about the time the sun goes supernova, that Corsair will release a version of link, that addresses the outstanding issues. I find all the Corsair comments about how long this takes as pitiful, as this very forum has someone who has made Corsair products work better than Link can. Yet Corsair won't even talk with this person about using their software as a springboard to move their product along quickly.

If you wish to hang your hopes on a new ground up development, I wish you luck. Just remember that these promises are not new, and Corsair's track record is horrible.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to accomplish?

Your presence on the forums consists of literally nothing but complaints about Link and Corsair. I can understand being ticked off by the issues with the software, but I'm at a loss as to what you're looking for.

Archived