The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Hydro X Custom Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 12:49 PM
HydroAmd's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020446
HydroAmd Reputation: 10
Default Click noise from XC7

Before I open a ticket I wanted to try the forums first. I'm having a strange issue with the XC7 block. Whenever there is temperature variation, especially when turning the computer on or off, the XC7 block will randomly make a click sound. The clicking noise is plasticky and continues until the temp is seemingly stabilized. At first I thought it was the radiator but not so. It appears to be coming from the plastic XC7 trim/shroud whenever there is thermal expansion/retraction. It's very annoying and quite audible. It's not the pump or air bubbles. It will even click when the computer is off while it's cooling down. I'm using hardline fittings. Does anyone have any suggestions on a fix?
Old 10-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Nazgul's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020449
Nazgul Reputation: 10

It could be one of your fans, probably the noise is coming from one spinning faster when the temps go up, the water block is.........well, solid with a bunch screws holding it in place. All 4 screws are all the way in, on the water block that is?
Or probably from the chipset fan.

Last edited by Nazgul; 10-06-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:55 PM
HydroAmd's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020452

The noise isn't coming from the fans. It will occur after the computer is shut down with no power while it's still cooling down. The noise is 100% coming from the XC7, either the block itself or the plastic trim piece. I have literally felt the vibration from the click while holding it. The four post screws are all tight.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:41 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020461
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

From the CPU block? That is strange. There really shouldn't be any expansion/contraction when transitioning between a 25-35C temp range for coolant, but I am not sure where else to assign blame. I suppose the other possibility is the mounting posts and there is too much tension at one corner, but all of these seem so improbable. Are you able to narrow down the origin within the CPU block? Nylon/plastic clear top vs outer ring?
Old 10-06-2019, 04:40 PM
HydroAmd's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020468

Agreed. But it does happen both on the expansion and contraction. I don't believe it's coming from the nylon block itself. Or the posts/mount as they're metal and don't seem to touch the plastic. I can recreate the sound by pressing around the plastic trim ring in various places but I can't determine exactly where it's coming from when it happens. Could the hardline fittings be too tight? I can see some movement when I press on the plastic trim near a fitting so I don't believe that's it. I wonder if the trim can be reseated but no idea how to do that.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:38 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020477
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

The trim does come off and it is a clean and easy procedure. However, you obviously have to remove the block to do this. First access point is to loosen the plate screws on the back. Then it comes apart into the cold plate, jet plate, and trim pieces. There is sort of reference to this in the instructions regarding turning the plastic shell for orientation purposes.

If I kind of push/pull with my finger on the black plastic shell, I do hear a little tick or click. It is soft and never does this on its own. Perhaps your hunch is right and the hard line tubes are exerting some measure of pressure against the block. I am using soft and my tension points are in the middle of the curve, rather than on the block.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:20 AM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 1020651
Corsair GregX Reputation: 10

That's fairly odd. Could you take a few closeup images or even better, a video when the clocking noise occurs?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:37 AM
HydroAmd's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020686

Update: I loosened one of the fittings (bitspower) and it seems to have resolved the clicking. The fitting wasn't even that tight, finger tight. Is this normal? Now I'm wary that the fitting is too loose and could ultimately leak. Thinking about RMA. It shouldn't click no matter how tight the fitting is.

I could take a picture and/or video but I would need to tighten it back up again.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:49 PM
HydroAmd's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020736

2nd Update: clicking was almost eliminated so I tried to loosen a bit more but then felt a leak so I tightened it back up. Good news, I tightened the fitting to original tightness (where it should be) and captured a video. This is me shutting the computer down, clicks start ~30 secs. Why is the XC7 trim plastic and XC9 aluminum? And how is no one else having this problem? Some air got in during my fitting loosening escapade; ignore it.

Last edited by HydroAmd; 10-08-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:30 PM
tiborrr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1021366
tiborrr Reputation: 10

I think it might be pump overpressure causing this and the partial pressures equalizing after shutdown. Since you're using hard tubing it might be that the block is actually returning to original state.

Remember, nylon 'breaths' meaning it will flex but never crack as it is probably the most durable polymer for this application. And since the plastic trim is attached to the nylon cover it might be just that.

XC9 is a premium finish variant hence it uses aluminum trim. The latter is quite more expensive.

I guess it's that one in a million case... It's hard to say what actually causes this, I can only offer logical explanation. I haven't personally even see a case like that and I have had over 300 (yes, three hundred) XC7/XC9 blocks in hand.

Best Regards,
Niko