Corsair Community

CORSAIR 8GB 2400Mhz Vengeance LPX issue

scrm3r

So I recently updated my system from G4560 to Ryzen 5 1600. I had an existing 8gb ram module(2yr old), so i purchased another module of the same model number (CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R) and added it to my motherboard.

Previously I wasnt using XMP and I didnt noticed it back then, but when I went to BIOS to overclock my CPU, I noticed that my ram is running at Dual Channel configuration with 2133MHz.

I have since then booted my PC with both stick in place, and also individual stick at a time. The older one runs at 2133Mhz by default while the newer one runs at 2400Mhz, so when they are running at dual channel config it is slowing down to 2133Mhz.

I must add that with XMP profile activated both ram are running at 2400MHz at the rated latency CAS 16-16-16-39. What I wanted to know, is this a faulty ram or is it working as intended?

Below are the CPU-Z screenshot of the ram in stock settings (without XMP)

Dual Config

dual-config.jpg

Single Faulty

single-faulty.jpg

Single Okay

single-ok.jpg

XMP does not usually turn out well for an unmatched kit and I suspect if you used Taiphoon Burner or something else to look deeper at the specs, they would have different versions numbers or other clarifying identifiers. However, XMP is just a preset overclock. There is no reason you can't do the same and manually set the frequency to 2400, primary timings to 16-16-39, lower timings leave on auto, and DRAM voltage to 1.20. No guarantees when adding two different kits together, but at 2400 your chance of success is usually high.