Corsair Community

Can you introduce a delay before fans ramp up?

darrenkarp

Hi All,

With a custom fan curve monitoring the CPU package, it's really annoying to hear the fans spool up just because the temp rises for a brief moment. Is there a way to introduce a delay to this ramp up so it doesn't kick in straight away but waits for perhaps a few seconds?

Cheers

Daz

For the Commander Pro? Or something else?

Short answer is the default fan curves and CPU temp control in general need some hysteresis, but you cannot address that directly. However unless you are actually running a CPU air cooler from the Commander, almost every other control variable choice is a better one. My advice is to get off the default presets and CPU temp control in general. Motherboard temp, GPU temp, coolant temp, or the 10K thermistors all make more useful and smoother fan control.

Gygabyte motherboards usually have a time delay you can set on fan curve response time. worth checking in your mobo manual if it's that brand you use

Alternately, you can set a softer fan curve. even air coolers can take spikes of load without needing to accelerate fans.

You can use the fastest speed you are comfortable using for idle speed, one not too noisy that don't bother you too much, and set a soft slope to accelerate say over 55 / 60°C for an air cooler.

This way, fan speed won't even move when you do light tasks like opening a browser or watching some streaming, that can bump your temps all over the place, but usually not very high (like short spikes at 40 - 45°).

Edited by LeDoyen

• 1 month later...
I am running an air cooler for my cpu, fans controlled by icue Commander. This hysteresis thing has been a topic of discussion for years now. Just wondering if it is just too difficult to slow down the reaction time for the fans to cpu temp? In the world of digital controls for building automation they call it a PID loop. It is used to smooth out reaction times for things like actuator valves for heating and cooling systems. It might be just too much math but even just a delay to respond would probably do the trick.

an hysteresis setting would be useful to tame a badly set up fan curve.

I imagine that's why this kind of setting is not present anywhere. Because setting a custom fan curve solves the issue very easily.

If your CPU idles at 30°, and under normal use spikes briefly to 50 - 55°, you just set the fan curve flat up to that.

Whenever you play or do intensive tasks, it will heat up a lot more, so that's where it's useful to have the fans ramp up, and set a sloped curve.

• 1 month later...

I just bought one of those iCue CoPro to control my case fans and ARGB lighting. I also like to have a pretty silent system during idle / small loads, this is really important for me.

Why I bought the CoPro was in first line to control my system fans by other temperatures than the one my mainboard offers. But also to upgrade my System with an ARGB controller, since this also isn't offered by the mainboard I have build in.

Here is what I was trying to achieve and already been testing with the CoPro.

I want to control some of my system fan speed over the GPU temperature, since this is the part in my system that produces the most noise and heat during idle.

So why not just use the mainboard fan headers and control them via any other software and get just an ARGB controller?

It seems like there is no other software than the one that comes with the mainboard, that is able to control the fan speed via the mainboard headers, so I cannot control the system fans with GPU temp or any other sensor that is not readable by the mainboard itself.

So I build in the CoPro and setup everything. It works good so far. I like the product and the software so far.

BUT

Since I am running my GPU in passive cooling during Idle, It sometimes needs some cooling by the system fans.

And here is why I would like to see a hysteresis / ramp up and down time.

At the moment some system fans are controlled with GPU speed, but the fans are changing speed way to quickly, since the GPU temp moves around the point where I start / spin up the fans.

Please can you add some ramp up/down time or give the possibility to set different curves for spin up and spin down.

Edited by happyJAM
more typos