Corsair Community

Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming Won't POST (DRAM LED)

BenB1980

Good morning from the UK!

I'm tearing my hair out... I hope someone can help!

I've just built a new PC:

Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Corsair Vengeance RGB Black PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2666MHz (CMW32GX4M2A2666C16) x2

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M Addressable RGB CPU Tower Cooler

Corsair Pro Series HX750w PSU

Seagate 1TB FireCuda 510 M.2 NVMe SSD

Asus ROG Strix 2080Ti

I built the system no problem (I've built many systems over the years) went to boot and no POST. Instead the DRAM LED lit up on the mobo stating I have a memory issue...

Ok, started looking again at the Asus website for Memory compatibility and noted that CMW32GX4M2A2666C16 isn't listed... IDIOT!

So sent that RAM back and replaced it with the following:

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit (CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16)

I made sure this one IS on the Asus list...

Reboot and still no POST. Still the same DRAM LED lit up on the board.

I've gone through all the checks possible:

- Tried each module individually in each DIMM

- Updated BIOS.

- Reset CMOS (both jumper and battery short)

- Unplugged everything except essentials

Still no POST.

I've gone through all this with my retailler and they have come to the conclusion that it could well be a faulty Mobo so I'm now sending it back.

HOWEVER, before I do send it back, I just thought I'd post on here in case anyone else has had the same problem and/or can shed any light on any other possible causes?!

I haven't had a faulty motherboard for YEARS... or RAM for that matter... So there's a little part of me wondering if there's something else wrong?!

Could it be something completely unrelated like the PSU for example?!

Many thanks

Ben

• Corsair Employee
Good morning from the UK!

I'm tearing my hair out... I hope someone can help!

I've just built a new PC:

Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Corsair Vengeance RGB Black PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2666MHz (CMW32GX4M2A2666C16) x2

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M Addressable RGB CPU Tower Cooler

Corsair Pro Series HX750w PSU

Seagate 1TB FireCuda 510 M.2 NVMe SSD

Asus ROG Strix 2080Ti

I built the system no problem (I've built many systems over the years) went to boot and no POST. Instead the DRAM LED lit up on the mobo stating I have a memory issue...

Ok, started looking again at the Asus website for Memory compatibility and noted that CMW32GX4M2A2666C16 isn't listed... IDIOT!

So sent that RAM back and replaced it with the following:

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit (CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16)

I made sure this one IS on the Asus list...

Reboot and still no POST. Still the same DRAM LED lit up on the board.

I've gone through all the checks possible:

- Tried each module individually in each DIMM

- Updated BIOS.

- Reset CMOS (both jumper and battery short)

- Unplugged everything except essentials

Still no POST.

I've gone through all this with my retailler and they have come to the conclusion that it could well be a faulty Mobo so I'm now sending it back.

HOWEVER, before I do send it back, I just thought I'd post on here in case anyone else has had the same problem and/or can shed any light on any other possible causes?!

I haven't had a faulty motherboard for YEARS... or RAM for that matter... So there's a little part of me wondering if there's something else wrong?!

Could it be something completely unrelated like the PSU for example?!

Many thanks

Ben

Hey Ben,

If your bios was up to date and you tried individual modules in individual DIMM slots, then it does sound like it could be a mobo issue. Do keep us updated, and don't forget to open up a ticket if necessary: support.corsair.com

-Art

i suppose it went smoothly but.. that could also be caused by a bent or broken pin on your CPU. But i imagine you would have noticed..

If no dimm slot works when testing with one ram stick only, it would indicate a CPU issue (very unlikely) or a mobo issue.

cracked solder joints on the dimm slots is probably the most common.. often caused when bending the mobo if the sticks are installed inside the case instead of outside.

6 sticks, none working.. lost for lost i'd reseat the CPU just for good measure and test again. if not OK, i'd also open a ticket with Asus to get the mobo replaced. If you got it from amazon, they are way faster, contact them directly :)

Whilst I think of it (in preparation of the new mobo arriving) I've now got a total of 8 DIMMs sitting here.

4 were the original that are set to be sent back...

4 are the new DIMMS that I ordered (see OP) but 2 are v5.32 and 2 are v3.31. Is that a critical problem?!?!

• Corsair Employee
Whilst I think of it (in preparation of the new mobo arriving) I've now got a total of 8 DIMMs sitting here.

4 were the original that are set to be sent back...

4 are the new DIMMS that I ordered (see OP) but 2 are v5.32 and 2 are v3.31. Is that a critical problem?!?!

Using modules from separate kits, that may not be compatible with your specific motherboard, may indeed be a problem.

-Art

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a replacement mobo but this time got the E version rather than the F version. All modules worked fine...

HOWEVER... I'm now in a position whereby win10 is kicking up a "memory_module" BSOD. So I've removed the 2x v5.32 modules and just running it at present with the 2x v3.31 modules. Will be running memtest86 later today to see if I have actually got a module problem or something else going wrong!

Incredibly frustrating. :(

• Corsair Employee
Finally got a replacement mobo but this time got the E version rather than the F version. All modules worked fine...

HOWEVER... I'm now in a position whereby win10 is kicking up a "memory_module" BSOD. So I've removed the 2x v5.32 modules and just running it at present with the 2x v3.31 modules. Will be running memtest86 later today to see if I have actually got a module problem or something else going wrong!

Incredibly frustrating. :(

Your issue is going to be a compatibility problem caused by mixing two different kits of memory together and attempting to get them to work as a single kit in a configuration neither kit was validated or guaranteed to work in.