Corsair Community

TwinX-3200C2PRO or 3200LLPRO for 8KNXP?

Zot1369

HI, Corsair memory guide here [url]http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/guides/Gigabyte-Jul2003.pdf[/url] states that the Twinx1024-3200C2PRO is the right memory for my 8KNXP; but the guide here [url]http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/guides/buyers_guide_sept-2003.pdf[/url] says for 865/875 the Twinx1024-3200LLPRO is the best. Of course, I went to zipzoomfly and proceeded to purchase Twinx1024-3200LL. Did I buy the wrong memory? It's still in transit - to late to cancel, too early to return it. Don't know the rev on the Mboard (1 or 2), but I will be using a P4 3.2, Enermax 550W PS, ATI 9600 Pro, usual array of HDD, CD/DVDwriter, etc. Mainly for gaming and video editing/encoding. Thanks! Zot :(:

Hi, just got the h/w setup. 8KNXP rev 2.0, BIOS FB. Sure enough at SPD timing I get memtest errors (test 9 fails before 1 pass). 2.5-3-3-7 and voltage +.1 seems to do the trick (13 passes and 0 errors). I'm going to let it run the full test all night. Interestingly - if I enable top performance, I start getting errors. Going to 2.5-4-4-8 stops them. I also tried with and without the DPS-2 board, no effect. Upgraded to BIOS FE, no effect. According to Gigabyte tech support: "Corsair memoy issue on rev 1.0 can be fixed by bios updating bios to F6 or higher and rev 2.0 has no memory issue at all ." Hmmmm. :rolleyes: [COLoR=red][B]UPDATE 12/18/03:[/B] [/color] Rebooted from cold power down and ran memtest 8 hours (full test suite) with memory at SPD, no DPS2, no top performance. No errors! I must not have set something right earlier. I've already let Gigabyte tech support know it seems to be working and the error was EBKAC (error between keyboard and chair!) Note - with memory set to SPD, latency shows up at 2.5, not 2? after 8 hours of testing with no errors, I rebooted, set manually 2 (so I'm at 2-3-2-6) and just finished 9 passes of memtest #9, no errors. settings: Bios FE, memory 2-3-2-6, Top Performance off, DIMM voltage +.1, everything else default. :D:

Just wanted to pass along that my system is VERY stable with this combination. The 8KNXP rev 2, BIOS FE, TwinX 3200LL, and 2-3-2-6 settings seems to work great! Now if I could only do something about my CPU heat..., but that's a subject for a different forum :laughing:

I have the same motherboard & memory combination (albeit a slower CPU at 2.8Ghz) and I am also seeing memtest86 failures at stock SPD rates and voltages. One difference though is that my mother board is running version FB bios (this is as it came from the factory). So, before returning the memory I have, I liked to try switching to the newer bios to see if that might help. So how/where did you get the FE bios? The latest I see on the Gigabyte download area is F8. Also my "twin pack" is rev 1.0. Do you recall what yours was? TIA

Well I am going to answer my own question. Turns out if you follow the Gigabyte links from products through motherboards to the 8knxp and finally to BIOS you will only see the rev 1.0 bioses (ergo everything <= F8)! The trick to finding the rev 2.0 bioses is to navigate through the suppport page to motherboards then to bios and finally select the 8knxp rev 2.0 entry. So my plan is to later today fetch the bios, flash, and retry the memtest. Wish me luck.... Regards.......

No luck... Memtest86 still fails at SPD values and stock voltages.... even after moving to the FE version of the bios. Trying the suggested values means I can't even reboot back into bios setup (had to clear cmos by removing battery). Looks like I going to have to return the memory... which just sucks as this was supposed to be an Xmas present and I paid the extra bucks for "good, stable memory".... :nutkick:

With the expection of changing the voltage (I am leary of changing voltage as I seen to many warranty denials cause of overclocking and/or overvoltage.), I have tried testing the memory in question independently from each other via memtest86. One of the two module always passed while the other module failed every 2nd pass, on average, of memtest86's check. Since these puppies are sold in pairs, they have to be returned in pairs and that means no memory for the duration of the vendor's "let me see if they're really bad" check phase before they ship me a replacement. (Note: I said vendor not manufacture previously.)

• Corsair Employee
Our modules are warranted to 2.8 Volts so as long as you don’t go over 2.8 you will be fine. And with this MB the setting would be Dim Over voltage control to + .02 Volts. And honestly I would test the memory on another MB if at all possible.

Archived