Corsair Community

Obsidian 900D at CES 2013

Hood

awesome casing :D love it.. but is it possible to invert the motherboard tray without mod the motherboard tray(but maybe will need to mod the other side panel to make a window but it's fine for me :D) and no drive slot or the front side all covered :D hehehe.. I just want to see my GPU block and more neat looking in the front:D

This is probably a bit of a Newbie question(s) but:

1) Surely all those 120/140 fans will be very noisy compared to if they had used 200 ones?

2) Again about noise, having a filled in front panel must surely restrict airflow and increase noise?

I like the internals of the new 900D but the outside isn't doing it for me. I don't like the fact that the front USB ports, etc. are behind a hinged panel, and where have the front accessable Hot Swap bays gone from the 800D?! They were one of the great things that I liked about that case,m being able to hot swap back up drives easily!

To me this case comes over more like an industrial/business services case not an enthusiasts case.

Looks like I will be giving the corsair cases a miss again this upgrade...

This is probably a bit of a Newbie question(s) but:

1) Surely all those 120/140 fans will be very noisy compared to if they had used 200 ones?

2) Again about noise, having a filled in front panel must surely restrict airflow and increase noise?

I like the internals of the new 900D but the outside isn't doing it for me. I don't like the fact that the front USB ports, etc. are behind a hinged panel, and where have the front accessable Hot Swap bays gone from the 800D?! They were one of the great things that I liked about that case,m being able to hot swap back up drives easily!

To me this case comes over more like an industrial/business services case not an enthusiasts case.

Looks like I will be giving the corsair cases a miss again this upgrade...

1. You can use low rpm to reduce the noise.. There a lot of option now like noiseblocker or corsair etc and most 200 fan is noisy

2. I'm not sure about this.. but if the space between the fan and the panel is quiet narrow.. yes it will increase the noise and restrict airflow.. hopefully it have enough space for it..

If it's for industrial/business, mostly they prefer cheap and small casing or rack for server..

for myself, I prefer the front panel without any bay.. hehehe

This is at this moment best looking and most modern pc case today.

With many options for almost every combination you can imagine you can install inside like case is exactly for that.

CORSAIR I wish you at least same success like with 800D.

And for New Year I wish to myself CORSAIR products in Belgrade, not in waves I want always.

I get what your saying about lowering the RPM's to lower noice (I do that on my current case - CMS Sniper) nut would have thought 200mm fans would be a better option.

Looks wise I love the insides and the internal layout but the outside looks really ugly (to me) compared to the 880D. The 880D combines form and funcrion perfectly where as the 900D seems to have put function way over form! The Front with a CD/DVD drive or fan controller etc. in place will look off centered and aesthetics poor.

I really do think that in this day and age of cheaper SSDs external Hot Swap SATA bays are a necessity (if only for swapping in/out back up drives).

I was really looking forward to Corsair brining out a 900D but I have been disappointed :-(

• Administrators
The Front with a CD/DVD drive or fan controller etc. in place will look off centered and aesthetics poor.
How will it look off centered when the spacing for 5.25" devices are in the center?

attachment.php?attachmentid=11978

I really do think that in this day and age of cheaper SSDs external Hot Swap SATA bays are a necessity (if only for swapping in/out back up drives).

Everyone I know that does backups does it to a NAS and/or directly online. Personally I have all of my critical folders on my NAS. If an HDD or SSD dies in my system, no biggie, I re-download my games from Steam.

center.JPG.fcfc291c45ccae33d90e865f9f092bf6.JPG

Great case, to bad it doesn't support 'Reverse ATX' out of the box. My PC is located on the left side (because I don't have the space on the right for my PC).

Yeah, of course I could remove the rivets and do it myself, however I am not that handy with those stuff and I wouldn't want to damage the case of course.

The 900D looks like a phenomenal case and I'll probably replace my 800D with the 900D, there was a few questions I did have, if not stock is it possible to add wheels to the bottom of the case to make it easier to move around. The other question maybe its me but the PSU chamber is it possible to cover that up with something so instead of showing the PSU just have it show the Cables?

How will it look off centered when the spacing for 5.25" devices are in the center?

attachment.php?attachmentid=11978

Thanks for showing that, the only view I'd seen looked like the opening was right over to one side!

Everyone I know that does backups does it to a NAS and/or directly online. Personally I have all of my critical folders on my NAS. If an HDD or SSD dies in my system, no biggie, I re-download my games from Steam.

I don't use the 'cloud' at all, I wouldn't trust a company with my data if they paid me, let alone they expect me to pay them! I do my backups locally and very regularly to SSD/HDD SATA drives.

I also don't use Steam, Origin or any other download service as I like to be in control of when, how and for long I play my games.

I wouldn't call the 900D an "Enthusiast's" Case, I'd call it an "Engineers" case. It smacks of of function over form and likes any attempt at style at all. Most "Enthusiast" like their systems to look cool not just a boring big black box in the corner...

I don't use the 'cloud' at all, I wouldn't trust a company with my data if they paid me, let alone they expect me to pay them! I do my backups locally and very regularly...

Amen to that!

The 900D looks impressive, and it might end up as a server case as soon as i can lay my fingers on it! 15 bays for hard drives with 4 TB sounds perfect for what we intend to do - and there's finally enough room for all the cables.

Lots of places for filtered fan intakes, and the option to install two PSU. Now add some watercooling and you almost have a set-up-and-never-touch-again-server for all the incoming streams. Sounds perfect to me. :)

Thankfully my superior listens to me when we buy new hardware.

But there's one problem with this case. It's so big and still doesn't have 5 free 5,25" bays? Hmm, that doesn't sound too good...

1 BR-Writer (discounting an optical drive is not a good idea!)

2+3 Watercooling bay with two pumps (second one as backup)

4 Bay for SSD and 2.5" HDD (OS, Cache, etc.)

Bay #5 would have been an additional Raid controller for the OS...

We'll manage - and this case is almost perfect for our purposes. But an additional bay would make some things easier for us.

• Administrators

Regarding online backups - I DID mention backing up to a NAS first :)

The 900D looks impressive, and it might end up as a server case as soon as i can lay my fingers on it! 15 bays for hard drives with 4 TB sounds perfect for what we intend to do - and there's finally enough room for all the cables.

Lots of places for filtered fan intakes, and the option to install two PSU. Now add some watercooling and you almost have a set-up-and-never-touch-again-server for all the incoming streams.

Incoming streams? What's the end goal for the server? W2K12, *nix, FreeNAS, uNRAID ?

Too many front bays. Same problem my 550D has. 4 front bays when at most all I would ever need is two. (I only use 1 though)

Before they go into full production of the 900D they should change their goal to be able to fit a wide variety of 420mm radiators in the front, with adequate working clearance.

Someone thats going to buy that is going to have lots of SLI and lots of overclocking going on with a pretty serious pump, and i've heard that a front intake radiator is the best cooling option but so few case manufacturers are supporting it.

Why is a front intake radiator automatically better than radiators in the lower compartment?

Here's a post that really sums up the overall watercooling capacity of the 900D:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1297712/mc-corsair-corsair-900d-godzilla-unveiled/1700#post_19023463

This is based on current knowledge, but reasonably accurate.

BTW - with the case being as large as it is, plenty of 5.25" devices could be put to use controlling & monitoring everything that could be crammed in there.

BTW - with the case being as large as it is, plenty of 5.25" devices could be put to use controlling & monitoring everything that could be crammed in there.

Aside from fan controllers, what other devices would be needed to control and monitor system performance. Would anyone need more than one fan controller?

On the other hand, I'm interested (for my 700D) for bay devices for a card reader and eSATA ports. And maybe I'll need a hot-swap drive bay sometime, since the 700D does not include that feature.

Also, I persist in my thinking that my system needs a DVD RW drive.

I know that some companies sell bay devices to use as "parts containers" but I just can't see the point of that.

Aside from fan controllers, what other devices would be needed to control and monitor system performance. Would anyone need more than one fan controller?

On the other hand, I'm interested (for my 700D) for bay devices for a card reader and eSATA ports. And maybe I'll need a hot-swap drive bay sometime, since the 700D does not include that feature.

Also, I persist in my thinking that my system needs a DVD RW drive.

I know that some companies sell bay devices to use as "parts containers" but I just can't see the point of that.

OK, you caught me in a semantics error with the "control and monitor devices" statement.

My point is, if you have a big box capable of holding oversized motherboards with lots of expansion slots - you might want to load it up.

5.25" bays could be used for optical drives, fan controllers, card readers, digital system info readouts, high-end audio I/O panels, hot-swap racks, and liquid-cooling reservoirs (among other things).

Some of these devices can be dual-height or multiples of them might be desired.

Heck - 3 posts above the complaint about too many bays is a complaint that there are too few.

This is the second time I'm feeling the need to post this quote in regards to the 900D:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

Buy it, buy it and mod it, or buy something else... everyone's needs are different.

For example - I tend to like lots of 5.25" bays in most enclosures because I like to move my drives into them using bay adaptors. This allows me to remove HDD bays for better airflow to my video cards. Weird, I know...

:D:

@ Corsair staff and / or 'Wired

Can someone from Corsair and / or staff here give me an honest question on the question(s) below in regards to Corsair's 900D?

Would it be possible to mod the case so it will have a 'reverse ATX'-layout, by drilling out (and replacing) the rivets?

I am really anxious to get an (detailed) answer on this. A lot of cases can be switched to reverse ATX by just removing rivets and replacing them, but some are not able to do this because it would need welding (and it depends on how the motherboard tray attaches of course).

The reason for asking this, is I simply cannot place my PC on the right side and I need to place it on the left. And in case of the 900D that would mean I cannot look through the sidepanel of course, which would be a real deal-breaker for me.

I rather purchase the 900D in Europe, than spending a "ton" of money on importing a case from CaseLabs...

Thank you for your time and answer(s)!

• Corsair Employee
I must say this is not possible without an extraordinary amount of work, including welding. Other than the what mentioned above, you will need to remove the motherboard tray, and the back panel to match the back motherboard I/O placement.

Archived