Corsair Community

MP600: included heat sync vs. MSI z490 meg ace motherboard heat sync

Parmenedes

I am putting a new build together around one of the new RTX 3080 GPU's and have a question. I'm looking at getting an MP600 nvme drive that will go in an MSI Z490 Meg Ace motherboard. The Meg Ace has an allegedly great cooling system for nvme drives. So I'm wondering if I would be better off leaving the the included heat sync on the mp600 or taking it off and using the cooling system on the motherboard. I have read that removing the heat sync won't void the warranty by itself, so I'm not concerned about that. Just wondering if it will make any difference which heat sync I'd use. For aesthetic reasons, I'd probably prefer to take the factory heat sync off and use the one in the motherboard, but not if it would cause problems with the drive.

• Corsair Employee

Do you plan to upgrade to PCIE 4.0 in the future? From what I understand, some Z490 boards are advertised as PCIE 4.0 capable, but won't actually run at Gen4 speeds due to current Intel processors supporting only PCIE 3.0 at this time.

If you don't plan on that in the future, you could opt for a PCIE 3.0 SSD like the MP510.

To answer your cooling question, the MP600 has a solid heatsink solution and is great for motherboards that don't provide their own M.2 cooling. Your motherboard's onboard cooling looks like it could be sufficient, so it wouldn't hurt to try it. If you notice thermal throttling, you can always fall back on the MP600's included heat sink.

Do you plan to upgrade to PCIE 4.0 in the future? From what I understand, some Z490 boards are advertised as PCIE 4.0 capable, but won't actually run at Gen4 speeds due to current Intel processors supporting only PCIE 3.0 at this time.

If you don't plan on that in the future, you could opt for a PCIE 3.0 SSD like the MP510.

To answer your cooling question, the MP600 has a solid heatsink solution and is great for motherboards that don't provide their own M.2 cooling. Your motherboard's onboard cooling looks like it could be sufficient, so it wouldn't hurt to try it. If you notice thermal throttling, you can always fall back on the MP600's included heat sink.

Thanks for the response.

You are correct: I won't be able to use PCIe 4.0 without a cpu upgrade. I'm not all that concerned about that though. Before making this purchase, I had narrowed it down to a samsung 970 evo plus and this drive, but the MP600 was on sale for the same price (it's actually substantially cheaper than the MP510 right now for some reason), so I figured I'd just go ahead and get the MP600 and be at least a little future proof.