Corsair Community

990fx-ud7 raid 0 force 3 gt

agulerer

I am using GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 board and on it there is Marvell 88SE9172 Sata3 controller and SB950 controllers for Sata3. I want to setup raid 0. Which one should I prefer? Marvell new 88E9172 sata 3 controller or sb950 raid controller. I will use Corsair Force 3 Gt SSD for raid 0. On some site I see new Marvell 88SE9172 controller is pretty good but I need to learn if someone used it and experiences? Also some intel boards uses this new marvell chip.

There are a few reasons to avoid the Marvell controllers

- they usually use a 1x PCIe (the exception seems to be 9182, which uses 2x )

- they don't seem to support TRIM ( driver issue, not actually hardware issue )

- they usually provide worse small writes performance than the Intel controller ( be it SATA II or III ); on the plus side they do get better reads than the Intel SATA II; again the 9182 seems to perform better

- official Corsair reps mentioned that they'd recommend staying away from Marvell because they also have stability issues

There are a few reasons to avoid the Marvell controllers

- they usually use a 1x PCIe (the exception seems to be 9182, which uses 2x )

- they don't seem to support TRIM ( driver issue, not actually hardware issue )

- they usually provide worse small writes performance than the Intel controller ( be it SATA II or III ); on the plus side they do get better reads than the Intel SATA II; again the 9182 seems to perform better

- official Corsair reps mentioned that they'd recommend staying away from Marvell because they also have stability issues

Does new driver support TRIM?

Archived