Corsair Community

Zotac IONITX-A won't boot directly from F120GB2

highc

I just bought a new Corsair Force CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT (Firmware 2.0) to put my OS (Ubuntu 10.04) onto it. The SSD is connected to a Zotax IONITX-A-E board (with an Atom 330 CPU on it).

No matter if I connect the SSD as first or second device to the onboard controller (configured as AHCI), the system does not boot from the SSD as long as I tell the BIOS to boot from the SSD. I have to tell the BIOS to boot from the installed HD (WD, 2.5", 500GB) - which has no boot partition on it. But it seems that after no boot partition was found on the HDD, the system then cycles through the connected devices and then starts the grub bootloader on the SSD.

Is there anything I could do to boot from the SSD directly? Having to cycle through connected devices does not really help boot times - but I bought the SSD in order to increase boot speed.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
When you installed the O.S, was the spinning HDD connected to the system? If so I would dis-connect it and then use parted Magic to secure erase the drive and install another distribution of Linux I have used the latest free version of SUSE and it works great, but I have seen many different issues with Ubuntu all makes of SSD's.

Your boot tables got screwed up because you most likely previously had a boot table on the other drive and when you installed your OS the boot table was preserved and the new OS was pointed from the original table.

Disconnect all drives except the primary and re-install the OS then you can connect the secondaries and format them to destroy their faulty tables.

Archived