Corsair Community

Commander Pro, H110i GTX, CL4

FuzzyWolf

So I got the commander pro to control my case fans(really didnt like Asus UI and the mobo controls doesn't really work) and now I want to get some new RGB fans and light strips so my questions are:

1) I'm planning on getting either the HD120 or the new LL fans(120mm), do I need to buy them with the hub/controller as well or would they just be fine with the commander pro?(meaning just buy individual pack) Not sure when the LL's are going to be available in Australia but I do notice I could get the HD120 with a hub/controller thing.

2) I am also planning on RGB light strip, do I need to buy an additional lighting node for them? I am going to get 2 fans(from part 1) and there are only 2 light ports on the commander pro.

3) I also got a Corsair h110i gtx which can only control fan speed with the liquid temperature but I'd prefer it to control fan speed with CPU temp instead so if I plug the fans into the commander pro instead would it still work or does it need to be plugged into the H110i?

hi buddy....

1. you would need a Rgb Fan Led hub which yes comes with triple 120 packs or double 140 packs...

2. if you already have the commander then just get the lighting pro strip expansion kit ;)

3. i would connect the rad fans to the h110i ;) .. it's better to monitor the liquid temp than the always fluctuating cpu avg which may make fans ramp up and down regular ;)....

heres how you would set it up..

LFYVKSJ.jpg

and here is how mine is set up,,,

sTp99JO.jpg

3) I agree and try to leave the control variable to coolant temp. Slow and steady is all you need. The fans do not need to be reactive to CPU temp, especially on a big 280 cooler.

There are two LED channels and several USB ports on the Commander Pro. You can put up to 6 fans on a "RGB controller". If you have more than 6, you will need an additional controller. Those come in the HD fan kits, sold as singles or multi-packs with a controller. If you have six or less, you only need the one controller.

However, the RGB strips will need an LED connection as well. So, like in Zotty's diagram, if you have more than 6 fans and LED strips, the Lighting Node Pro is the work around. You do not technically need the LNP for the LL fans, however based on US pricing, you can get the LNP for about $20 USD (without strips) when valued through the included multi-packs. It normally sells for $50 with 4 strips. You will need to decide if you want the strips now, wait, or some kind of combination, but given the general cost a full system of LL fan, I might get one LNP pack of LL fans to make sure I didn't get tied up later and have to buy the $50 version to get out of a bind. I just installed the stand alone RGB strip extension kit last night. I wasn't overly excited and generally use my LED strips for background lighting, but it is definitely different to use them in a more dynamic way. I am undecided on LL series, but since I had a Commander Pro and the HD fans, the LED extension kit was more useful since it came with 4 extension cable in addition to the 4 strips. It took about 90 seconds to get it up and running and picks up and syncs with your LED fans settings or can be set to contrast or whatever you like.

3) I agree and try to leave the control variable to coolant temp. Slow and steady is all you need. The fans do not need to be reactive to CPU temp, especially on a big 280 cooler.

There are two LED channels and several USB ports on the Commander Pro. You can put up to 6 fans on a "RGB controller". If you have more than 6, you will need an additional controller. Those come in the HD fan kits, sold as singles or multi-packs with a controller. If you have six or less, you only need the one controller.

However, the RGB strips will need an LED connection as well. So, like in Zotty's diagram, if you have more than 6 fans and LED strips, the Lighting Node Pro is the work around. You do not technically need the LNP for the LL fans, however based on US pricing, you can get the LNP for about $20 USD (without strips) when valued through the included multi-packs. It normally sells for $50 with 4 strips. You will need to decide if you want the strips now, wait, or some kind of combination, but given the general cost a full system of LL fan, I might get one LNP pack of LL fans to make sure I didn't get tied up later and have to buy the $50 version to get out of a bind. I just installed the stand alone RGB strip extension kit last night. I wasn't overly excited and generally use my LED strips for background lighting, but it is definitely different to use them in a more dynamic way. I am undecided on LL series, but since I had a Commander Pro and the HD fans, the LED extension kit was more useful since it came with 4 extension cable in addition to the 4 strips. It took about 90 seconds to get it up and running and picks up and syncs with your LED fans settings or can be set to contrast or whatever you like.

I think I'm going with 2 HD120 fans (1x fan with controller + 1x single) and that $50 light strip pack. My case is the S340 so no point getting RGB fans for radiator since I won't be able to see it so maybe the ML fans. Unsure yet on that though, I changed the original SP140 fans because one of them was making weird mechanical noise with phanteks fans but it doesn't seem work as well as the original sp140, had to run the pump at performance to compensate(but overall system is quieter though).

If you're concerned about overall performance, err on the side of ML fans.

The HD fans are prettier, but the ML fans are notably better performers.

I'll stick with the HD, performance should be good enough, really like that transparent frame. Also, how long is each of the RGB strip in the Lighting PRO Expansion Kit? Can't find the info on your product page.

Archived