Corsair Community

Turning the LEDs on/off on SP120s & AF140s

DragonsDream

The background:

In preperation for getting Dragon Age Inquisition, my wife & I just rebuilt both of our rigs: new MBs, new processor & heat sink, new graphics card. We each kept our old cases (she has the Carbide 500R, I have a competitor's case).

We decided to add some more fans; after some research we decided to "pimp out" our computers with LED case fans. Her case came with 2 front white 120mm LED fans and a side 200mm fan and a front panel controller for turning the LEDs on and off. She bought 7 fans: 5 AF140 LED red quiet edition (2x top, 2x side, 1 rear) and 2 SP 120 LED red for the front.

I was disappointed to discover that none of these fit into the Corsair proprietary connectors on the front panel (aren't these also Corsair fans?) but what is really annoying me now, is that I can't find a way to control the LED on/off as I could with the stock fans. Why would the new upgraded fans not be able to do something as simple as turn on/off like the stock ones?

Can these LEDs not be turned off? in that case, why swap out the stock ones from the case?

Also, the MB has 3 system fan connectors and 2 CPU fan connectors. We have 1 CPU fan in use. What is the best way to connect the 7 fans? Molex adapters? Y connectors to the motherboard? a fan controller? will a 3rd paty fan controller even work with the Corsair fans?

We are not gamers and this is not an elite gaming rig. It's just a person home desktop that we occasionally play games on.

I don't believe that those fans can have their LED's controlled, but I'm not 100% sure about this. As far as the connections, I would recommend Y splitters. The CPU_Opt header is for systems using two CPU_Fans. The CPU_Opt header does not have fan controls (at least not on Asus boards, not sure about your MSI), it runs off of the CPU_Fan settings, so this is something to consider before using it.

Archived