Corsair Community

Rm750 8pin different to cpu 8pin?

LazzurusMan

My rm750 turned up today, and everything was going smoothly until I tried to plug the 4+4pin conne tor into the cpu power slot. It doesn't match up. The end that plugs into the psu matches up with the motherboard, but then it won't plug into the power supply.

Do I just need to buy a new cable, or am I missing something here?

Pics to show what I mean.

IMG_20200615_185849.thumb.jpg.868a7fad6c31b2eac67202f76a2e35fc.jpg

IMG_20200615_190006.thumb.jpg.7bcccf9924d040e5d6c0f39a237f898b.jpg

IMG_20200615_185945.thumb.jpg.30b714d2584e5090030a7ba0e50b7e78.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I’ve exactly the same problem here:

The 4+4 cable doesn’t match with the 8 pin socket connector in the motherboard.

And the psu comes with 2 4+4 CPU cables (one is supposed to be used with the auxiliar EATX 4-pin connector, but the 8-pin one... how is it supposed to be connected? :(

Thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employee
Hi,

I’ve exactly the same problem here:

The 4+4 cable doesn’t match with the 8 pin socket connector in the motherboard.

And the psu comes with 2 4+4 CPU cables (one is supposed to be used with the auxiliar EATX 4-pin connector, but the 8-pin one... how is it supposed to be connected? :(

Thanks for your help.

You put the two four pins together and that makes 8-pins and that plugs into the motherboard. The solid 8-pin plugs into the PSU.

This should not be an issue.

You put the two four pins together and that makes 8-pins and that plugs into the motherboard. The solid 8-pin plugs into the PSU.

This should not be an issue.

But, with the 4+4 together I’ve 2 square and 6 “triangle” pins, and the mobo CPU socket has 4 squared and 4 triangled ones, so they don’t fit... and I don’t want to force it.

Should the 4+4 have 4 squared and 4 triangled pins? If yes, I’ve 2 cables (CPU labelled) that don’t fit there

But, with the 4+4 together I’ve 2 square and 6 “triangle” pins, and the mobo CPU socket has 4 squared and 4 triangled ones, so they don’t fit... and I don’t want to force it.

Should the 4+4 have 4 squared and 4 triangled pins? If yes, I’ve 2 cables (CPU labelled) that don’t fit there

Please, show the first photo attached by LazzarusMan, my 4+4 CPU cables are exactly like that.

"Triangle" pins are meant to go into either triangle or square connections.

So you haven't even tried to install it? You're just assuming it's wrong?

Yes, I assume triangle for triangle and square for square, so...

MotherBoard is:

STTS

TSST

And 4+4 CPU cable from PSU is:

STTT

TSTT

So, that’s the reason I’m asking help for this... I’m not sure how to connect them without forcing it.

Can I put triangled in squared ones?

Edited by Gapi74

• Corsair Employee
Yes, I assume triangle for triangle and square for square, so...

MotherBoard is:

STTS

TSST

And 4+4 CPU cable from PSU is:

STTT

TSTT

So, that’s the reason I’m asking help for this... I’m not sure how to connect them without forcing it.

Can I put triangled in squared ones?

You shouldn't be "forcing" anything. So you haven't even tried it?

It is a universal fact of connectors that the triangle is MEANT to go into EITHER triangle shaped or square shaped connectors.... WITHOUT force.

You shouldn't be "forcing" anything. So you haven't even tried it?

It is a universal fact of connectors that the triangle is MEANT to go into EITHER triangle shaped or square shaped connectors.... WITHOUT force.

Understood then, I didn’t know that :)

Thanks for your help and best regards.

• Corsair Employee

Sure.

FYI: The reason they do this is because the 4-pin actually has a triangle where the 8-pin has a square. So if you made a 4+4-pin with the same shapes as the connector on the motherboard, it would be useless as a 4-pin because then it would not fit.