Corsair Community

H110i GT dead pump?

t8683a

I built my first PC yesterday, x99 gaming computer. Everything seemed fine, idle temps at about 30c, until today. I tried turning it on, and it overheats. When I can get into bios, it starts at about 60c and climbs up to 93 and above until it crashes.

Radiator fans go full blast and blow what seems like cool air, and under fan speed in bios it says N/A for cpu fan. Light on pump is normal blue.

Installed by following corsair video directions, pump plugged into CPU fan header

Does this sound like a dead pump I have to RMA? Odd that it seemed to have no issues overnight and then after turning it back on to restart it had this issue. If it is a dead pump, is there anything I might have done to cause it? First PC i've built, but I did everything like in the video and install directions

Edit: I could feel the pump get pretty hot as well, not sure if that makes a difference

Probably not. I inadvertently selected the wrong fan program the other day and shut down my H110 pump by mistake. After an hour of desktop work, iTunes, and downloads, the CPU was only up to 47C and I run a healthy overclock.

If you cold boot and your CPU temp is instantly 50-60-70 on up, then you likely have a contact problem with pump mount. It is possible you unintentionally set a crazy vcore voltage, but less likely. It takes time to heat up all the water and overwhelm the system. How long until the CPU gets hot? What part of the cooler is warm? Tubes? The pump itself?

From the time I start the computer to the time it gets up to 95c is probably about 35 seconds. The only thing I changed from the default bios was to enable XMP for my RAM. CPU at stock, only went up to 3.75ghz with turbo boost or whatever it's called. The only thing getting warm is the pump itself, the fans only blow cold air.

I don't have any thermal paste atm, didn't buy any because the cooler came preinstalled with it. Can I try reattaching it or will I need to clear and reapply thermal paste?

That's far too fast to be a pump, fan, or water flow issue. Most likely a contact issue. Most common errors are not installing the backplate and too much thermal paste, neither of which apply to your situation with a 2011-3 and the factory spread. That leaves not having securely screwed the pump into the motherboard threads. It's possible one or more of the threads didn't get all the way in and then slipped out later. You do not need to use tools on the posts --- hand tightening is enough. Just make sure the thread is going into the motherboard.

Yes, you normally would need to re-apply thermal paste anytime you take off the pump. Any kind of containment getting into the goop could cause problems later. You should get a spare tube when you can for emergencies. In this case, I think you'll be OK with checking to see if the pump is secure to the mobo and then tightening or re-positioning it if necessary. The condition and spread pattern of the TIM can tell you things too, but lets hope that isn't necessary.

There is a guide for mounting the various coolers in the sticky section at the top of the page.

Thanks, I am getting thermal paste tomorrow and trying again.

Any ideas why it says CPU fan error and fan speed is N/A though? Is the pump actually reporting some kind of error or is it just an automatic error message when temps are high?

Edit: How tight should I be screwing? Until it won't go any tighter with my hands? I thought it was pretty tight the first time and it didn't seem to be moving around, I just don't want to break anything by screwing too tight

No, hand tightening is plenty. If you are a world class thumb wrestler, you might need to back off a little, otherwise you are fine. The mounting posts will not unscrew themselves, but sometimes it's tricky to get the thread started into hole or the mounting posts themselves get turned the wrong way (short end goes into the mobo).

CPU fan error normally indicates the motherboard cannot detect a fan (or pump) is installed. Depending upon your motherboard, you are likely required to have something connected to the CPU_FAN header to prevent the warning. In this case it's normally where you would hook up the 3 pin connector from the H110iGT. We might be able to give you more specific information if we knew your hardware. Sounds like 5930 chip. Which motherboard? If it's Asus, there a few little things in the BIOS to change.

I tried reseating and reapplying thermal paste, still get CPU fan error on boot. Radiator fans on max and only cold air coming out. Bios froze and wouldn't let me get to the temp screen so I'm assuming it's still overheating.

I have Asus x99-a motherboard, but I can't get to the bios to see or change anything. Just a screen coming up saying american megatrends and at the bottom CPU fan error and press F1 to enter setup, but F1 did nothing.

The 3 pin (really 1 pin but it's 3 pin sized) connector is plugged into the CPU fan header like it should be, and power from SATA so it should be running the pump all the time even if the header wasn't connected if I understand how this works correctly.

Is there any chance something in the bios is preventing the pump from working? I updated the bios when it was working, restarted at least 6 times for updating and reinstalling windows, but it's odd that this all started after a reset. I'll try to figure out how to reset my bios manually.

Edit: Is anything supposed to actually stick out of the back of the mobo when mounting a heatsink or pump? I thought the screw holes for the new 2011-3 changed it (no backplates needed), let me take a pic

Here is the back

Sigh, this was starting to have an Asus feel to it. You're right you don''t need a backplate and the 3 pin is just a tach sensor, but that is what's causing the Fan Error. If we can get into the BIOS, you need to go into the advanced setting > monitoring ----> then scroll way down until you get to the fan stuff. CPU_FAN will be the first entry in the fan info. There should be a box for setting the CPU_FAN error rpm limit. You can set it very low (something like 200 rpm) or to "ignore". Usually that does the trick, but I haven't used one of the new GT/X coolers on this Asus yet so I don't know if we need something beyond that.

I am more concerned about being unable to get to the BIOS. You can flash it from a USB drive. Load the file onto a drive. You will need to rename it X99A.CAP (double check your manual - mine is X99P.CAP for the PRO). Then stick into the green USB box on the back of mobo I/O. There is a button you have to hold for 2-3 seconds. Again, double check your manual in case there are any discrepancies between the PRO and A models.

I can't quite make anything out of the picture. Looks like normal cable runs back there and the other end of a few rivet holes. Which part is concerning you?

Even if the pump is off, you can't get to your thermal limits like this. Something is wrong. If it's not a contact problem the only other thing I can think of is a bad CPU temp sensor or something is interfering with the temp sensor. That's a bit of a leap, but I am running out of ideas.

I've got the same problem / behavior on an MSi motherboard. On forst start after assembly I was seeing the rapidly rising CPU temperature in the BIOS, I shut down the PC and reviewed the cooler contact, checked the the screws and made sure the cooler was fitting tightly.

After a restart temperature was rising again rapidly, upon reaching 90° C I shut down the system again. I unplugged the CPU fan connector and the USB connector for Corsair link and restarted, temperature started to rise again. After a few second the pump was producing some strange noises sounding like some bearing defect. CPU temperature immediately dropped from 85° to 31° C within seconds and stayed there. I didn't encounter the problem again for some days until I had to restart they system on Friday, needing 2 or 3 attempts to get the pump to start. Since Saturday the pump seems to not work at all. I RMA'd it in the meantime, replacement should arrive today.

Seems at least I have either a problem with the bearing or the pump has some "starting" problems, once I got the cooler to run it stayed running until the system was shut down ... CPU fan connector and Corsair Link connector didn't seem to have any effect besides a RPM readout for the pump.

As a sidenote, I do record some strange RPM Readings for the pump, Corsair Link reports rapidly toggling RPM's between 3500 and 9500 RPM.

Well, it's been awhile since I posted but I RMA'd the old cooler and brought it into a computer shop so they could switch it out and make sure I didn't just install it wrong or something.

They said the pump wasn't pumping anything, and that's why the cooler was just blowing cool air like I thought. New one seems to be working fine.

I'm not sure if shutting the computer off had anything to do with the pump failing or not, if I understand correctly the CPU always runs at full speed in the BIOS, and if it was idle in Windows it might have only been at 1-2GHZ, so the cooler may have failed overnight and I just didn't notice it until restarting when the CPU was overheating while running at 3.5ghz.

Getting about 35c idle, maxes out at 60-65c under full load with aida64

Archived