Corsair Community

Black Screening / Video Card output switching off from iCUE

WhiskeyOmega

I have been running into this issue as well. It started when I purchased my K55 keyboard and installed iCue. I have an ASUS P9X79 LE. I would be playing a game, and the screens would black out. My audio would still be going, as well as any notifications (Discord). At that point, I was forced to manually power off my PC.

However, it didn't happen just when I was gaming. I would get on my computer in the evening, several hours after using it, and my screens would be black, but the computer still running. I would check Event Viewer afterwards and it would just be spammed with "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." errors. Literally hours worth of it over and over.

It took me a long while to find this thread, after thinking it was my card, but no issues during a stress test. I uninstalled iCue yesterday and have had no issues since. So glad I found this thread, as I was panicking. :):

event-viewer.thumb.PNG.1e668407c9604dc3926707eb832a4680.PNG

Edited by Sirielia

• 2 weeks later...
Well ive not received any response from Corsair through Email or here or any other channel of communication. I will be seeking a full refund on all the corsair goods I have purchased that require icue to run. Under Consumer law in the UK The goods are not to satisfactory quality nor are the goods fit for purpose. I am now sending the senior PR person a letter of intent to claim in the small claims court. Its been 2 years since I bought my 1080ti and this issue 1st started. It took a year for corsair to even acknowledge the issue was there fault and they just fobbed me off before that saying it was something else like the nvidia drivers. To also add, Its a DAMN shame its come to this from this once great company. Edited by WhiskeyOmega

I've been subscribed to this thread since Christmas 2018 when I received a Void Pro wired headset and started having the crashes and identified the culprit as iCue. I sounded off earlier this year but thought I'd post this again - the fix of renaming the couple dll's isn't really a proper fix, rather a clunky work around. If anyone, like me, just needs the software to control a headset (not lighting for a keyboard or any internal tower components) the older (and less resource intensive) CUE software is still available for controlling the headsets directly on corsair's website - hope this helps someone!

http://downloads.corsair.com/download?item=Files/CUE/CorsairUtilityEngineSetup_2.24.50_release.msi

A few months ago, the H100I / LINK I bought in ~2013 started showing CPU Temp warnings. Along with this, my screen would go black, sound would cut out a few seconds later, and my system would hang. I assumed this was a CPU Temp issue and maybe the old H100I finally died, so I immediately went to BESTBUY and got a new H100I.

Even with the new H100I, LINK / ASUS Monitor App were throwing CPU TEMP warnings. Despite this, the H100I head was only reporting temps around ~25 degree C. Meanwhile, this random freeze's were still happening. Screen Black, Sound dies a few seconds later, and system hang. This happened a few times a night gaming, and I came to the conclusion my PROC must be toast.

Well, as long as I wasn't gaming, just sitting in Windows, the system wouldn't hang/crash, but the CPU TEMP warnings kept going off. All cores 80+degC at IDLE with a brand new H100I. I thought to myself, I must have seated the H100I incorrectly. I reseated its head at least a dozens times, making sure of no air pockets in the TIM, but still, relentless CPU TEMP warnings, and the black screen crash/system hang while gaming.

I finally resigned and said that I'll just wait for Ryzen 3000 series release and build a new PC.

It was then I decided to close out of ASUS Monitor and Corsair LINK as the constant alerts were annoying as all hell. As soon as I closed LINK/ Asus Monitor, the problem went away... HOLY ****!

My PC runs absolutely fine and reporting normal temps in the BIOS if I leave LINK off. So that is what I did.

Fast forward to the Ryzen 3000 release, and I'm exploring doing a bunch of RGB in my case and using all Corsair RGB case/fans/LEDs, and I start coming across people complaining that ICUE conflicts with x570 MOBO RGB software from Asus/MSI/Asrock/Gigabyte. This is frustrating to hear as I would like to use the MOBO RGB seperate from the ICUE RGB, but I don't know if that will work now.

In investigating these conflicts, I come across this very thread and Holy Crap again, This is exactly the problem I have with my current PC.

Please note that this problem ONLY started a few months ago. For years, ASUS Monitor / LINK from 2013 worked perfectly together. I upgraded to the most recently version of LINK hoping it would help, and it hasn't. Turning it off is the only thing that works now. What the heck?

In the event this is un-fixable, and I build a new x570 system, will ICUE conflict with any of the MOBO vendor's (Asus/MSI/Asrock/Gigabyte) own RGB software?

I also have the following components:

• ASUS P9X79 LE LGA 2011 Intel X79
  • Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011 130W BX80633i74930K
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G
  • G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2400

I wanted to add - I am also experiencing this problem. Attempted everything in this thread except complete removal of iCUE. Black screens are completely random... could happen within an hour of each other or up to 36 hours. It happens completely randomly and not reproducible. Does NOT have to be in a game, anything from desktop, game, to even in sleep mode. Like everyone else, screen goes black, fans run to 100% speed, everything goes unresponsive, lighting goes to default, requires hard shut down at the power supply switch.

ASUS Prime X470-Pro

AMD RYZEN 7 2700X

EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC

I have the X570 Case, Node Pro/Hub, 6 LL Fans, 4 Light Strips, K55 Keyboard, Void Pro and SP100 stand. So quite a bit of money invested and can't rely on the Corsair product to work right.

Can anyone post a link to the 2.X working version of iCUE? My searches have been useless.

MODS - Please sticky this thread or at the very least, can you sticky acknowledging the problem and that there is no solution yet. Before I stumbled on this topic, still not sure how I found it, I replaced my power supply and was about to replace other items. Since this problem still exists, it would be helpful for others.

I really thought this issue has been long resolved after weeks of not seeing any reports on the forums and ticket inquiries. I'll talk to CorsairJames about this and we'll revisit the case and see whats triggering this behavior.

@Majkel0608, Does it only happen when you're gaming? what about when you're running other applications?

Sadly it's not over at all, we're still having issues while using iCUE...

I really thought this issue has been long resolved after weeks of not seeing any reports on the forums and ticket inquiries. I'll talk to CorsairJames about this and we'll revisit the case and see whats triggering this behavior.

@Majkel0608, Does it only happen when you're gaming? what about when you're running other applications?

How are we meant to know to not rename the dll files when you dont mention any possible fix in the patch notes nor even acknowledge it. This should have been fixed 2 years ago but you think time will just make this bug disappear. But it still happens on Ryzen .

I have sent my letter of intent to the PR Wing of Corsair along with a whole heap of information and had the reply that they have escalated this back to the iCue division at management level and will let you know what I hear.

• 2 weeks later...

I am joining the discussion just to say "it's still the same Issue."

- I tried everything, ram changes, video card changes, windows reinstall, TDR adjustments, under-clocking, BIOS and firmware updates and changes.. ect...(By day I've been doing hardware and software pc support for over 20 yrs)

After removing ICUE about 4 months ago- pc has been perfect.

But silly me :( - I went and installed latest version of ICUE because I wanted to change the button on my "corsair scimitar pro rgb".. I mean why did I spend all this cash if I can't use it?

crashes, black screens, or just doesn't boot. so I booted safe mode uninstalled, everything is fine..

Yup I have the asus p79pro motherboard and I7-4930k processor; so I assume its a chipset issue.

Seems like Corsair has moved on, and doesn't want to put any more effort into fixing this issue.

Just so you all know. I was talking with the head of Customer Support who said that he'd have his engineers send me an extended logging version of icue to see. I waited 2 weeks after sending the letter of intent but it didnt seem to be going anywhere. So I filled the paperwork with the court then I got an email saying that the owner of CPUID himself was going to call me today and asked if i could run CPUID and HWINFO and not icue. I replied saying I was happy to help however I just put a claim in for all my hardware that runs through icue. I never got a reply nor a phone call at the time stated. They had an opportunity to fix this and chose not to.

thanks or the update. I did read there could be compatibility issues with icue and cpuid, cpuz and hwinfo - they may be using some shared DLL's.

In my case I mad sure that ICUE was the only thing installed, and same issue.

CPUID, cpuz and hwinfo all work fine, its just ICUE that crashes.

I have a few devices using ICUE: kb, mouse and powersuppy, as you said, a considerable investment. I haven't connected the commander pro yet, as I expect it too to have issues.

Edited by i-c-q-NightMare

Joining this discussion to tell my story of iCue and Corsair.

Having completed my first computer build some five and a half years ago I purchased a number of Corsair products including case, PSU, CPU cooler etc. It wasn't until December 2017 when I purchased a Corsair Strafe RGB keyboard that I started to have problems. With the arrival of my new keyboard meant that I needed to install new software. I soon as I noticed that this corrupted the colour settings of my H100iv1 cooler which, to my annoyance would only display red rather than the custom colour CPU temperature (white-yellow-red). After much head scratching and endless installing/uninstalling of my corsair link software for the H100iv1 I worked out that my cooler and this newer software could not exist together and work exactly as they should.

I liked my keyboard so decided that I would invest money into a new H100i Pro cooler hoping that I could finally return to the "colour change with temperature" setting I desired. I installed the new cooler and soon was experiencing random complete lockups and no output to my monitor. Was it the monitor? Was it the graphics card or the drivers? After many more complete lockups and experimenting I discovered the problems with iCUE and x79 based computers and this thread. I renamed CPUIDSDK.dll and CPUIDSDK64.dll and it was better straight away although for a while it would still make my graphic card not to output for a about a second every once in a while but it would recover okay. At present I still have iCe installed but with reduced functionality but a usually stable computer.

However, Corsair's apparent unwilling or unable attitude to fixing iCue for affected users has made me decide not to purchase another Corsair product after spending £££ and having to use this iCue software which handicaps my computer (and many others) so much. I would love to see a fix appear one day but after all this time I'm not holding my breath. Sorry for my rant but I wanted to share my experience.

Joining this discussion to tell my story of iCue and Corsair.

Having completed my first computer build some five and a half years ago I purchased a number of Corsair products including case, PSU, CPU cooler etc. It wasn't until December 2017 when I purchased a Corsair Strafe RGB keyboard that I started to have problems. With the arrival of my new keyboard meant that I needed to install new software. I soon as I noticed that this corrupted the colour settings of my H100iv1 cooler which, to my annoyance would only display red rather than the custom colour CPU temperature (white-yellow-red). After much head scratching and endless installing/uninstalling of my corsair link software for the H100iv1 I worked out that my cooler and this newer software could not exist together and work exactly as they should.

I liked my keyboard so decided that I would invest money into a new H100i Pro cooler hoping that I could finally return to the "colour change with temperature" setting I desired. I installed the new cooler and soon was experiencing random complete lockups and no output to my monitor. Was it the monitor? Was it the graphics card or the drivers? After many more complete lockups and experimenting I discovered the problems with iCUE and x79 based computers and this thread. I renamed CPUIDSDK.dll and CPUIDSDK64.dll and it was better straight away although for a while it would still make my graphic card not to output for a about a second every once in a while but it would recover okay. At present I still have iCe installed but with reduced functionality but a usually stable computer.

However, Corsair's apparent unwilling or unable attitude to fixing iCue for affected users has made me decide not to purchase another Corsair product after spending £££ and having to use this iCue software which handicaps my computer (and many others) so much. I would love to see a fix appear one day but after all this time I'm not holding my breath. Sorry for my rant but I wanted to share my experience.

I noticed the use of £'s in your post so i can only assume you're British the same as me. I got told that if it becomes a serious issue here, consumer helpline can pass on information to trading standards. I doubt 1 complaint would get very far but 2 might start to get legs. I'll see what the outcome to this small claims court claim is as I havent heard anything yet but most companies only seem to care once they get something in the post. The email from SCC seems to hit spam filters.

I noticed the use of £'s in your post so i can only assume you're British the same as me. I got told that if it becomes a serious issue here, consumer helpline can pass on information to trading standards. I doubt 1 complaint would get very far but 2 might start to get legs. I'll see what the outcome to this small claims court claim is as I havent heard anything yet but most companies only seem to care once they get something in the post. The email from SCC seems to hit spam filters.

Yes I'm British. The issue is that the problem with iCue has been around for more than a year (15 months since your original post I see ) . It depends if people with certain types of system like x79 know that iCue is causing problems, it took me a while to work it out. However, the peak of people having problems has probably already passed and gone. Many may have moved on and built new/upgraded computers and now not suffering these issues with iCue.

Yes I'm British. The issue is that the problem with iCue has been around for more than a year (15 months since your original post I see ) . It depends if people with certain types of system like x79 know that iCue is causing problems, it took me a while to work it out. However, the peak of people having problems has probably already passed and gone. Many may have moved on and built new/upgraded computers and now not suffering these issues with iCue.

Yea im one foot out the door on my X79 build doesnt mean ill come straight back to corsair for anything in the future. Full custom waterloop with glass hardline tubes with HWLabs Rads. Not a Corsair product in sight.

• 2 weeks later...

I Settled with them out of court in the end. But just so everyone knows the opportunity was offered to fix this at the latest of hours just after I went ahead with the court claim.

They were going to get me to talk to Franck CEO of CPUID. Now Im no longer willing to help given their really crappy attitude in this whole thing but someone less bitter than me may enjoy better luck if they mention Franck in emails to their head of CS or PR.

I Settled with them out of court in the end. But just so everyone knows the opportunity was offered to fix this at the latest of hours just after I went ahead with the court claim.

They were going to get me to talk to Franck CEO of CPUID. Now Im no longer willing to help given their really crappy attitude in this whole thing but someone less bitter than me may enjoy better luck if they mention Franck in emails to their head of CS or PR.

They will just ignore everyone that complains and brush it under the carpet as only a minority of their customers are affected. I've had CPUID on my computer for years before iCue and never had a problem with black screening and it sounds like they have palmed you off to someone else and not claiming responsibility of iCue's problems on certain systems. Glad you got something out of Corsair though but can understand why you are no so frustrated by Corsair's attitude.

• 4 weeks later...
They will just ignore everyone that complains and brush it under the carpet as only a minority of their customers are affected. I've had CPUID on my computer for years before iCue and never had a problem with black screening and it sounds like they have palmed you off to someone else and not claiming responsibility of iCue's problems on certain systems. Glad you got something out of Corsair though but can understand why you are no so frustrated by Corsair's attitude.

Im amazed James still works for Corsair given all the issues this software has.

I went to my local pc shop to pick up my cheque. Not only did corsair have me wait for an hour they said that they'd be wanting all my corsair stuff back. While I did originally agree to it. I have heard nothing from corsair in relation to returning the items nor will I return them now given how rude every single person in the company I have dealt with has been. From the the head of CS that kept getting my name wrong on emails. To the guy that kept me waiting.

Corsair do not learn from their mistakes and I am of the inclination that if they are going to keep ignoring everyone else with the issues I will keep going after them.

I can confirm this is still an issue with the latest version of iCUE. I contacted with the customer support and this is the only response I got:

There are some compatibility issues with X79 chipset and iCUE. If you have the latest bios and the latest chipset drivers installed, I'm afraid we have tried all the troubleshooting steps.

There are hundreds of reports about the issue but I guess you can't even reproduce it. I paid $150 on a keyboard and only later I learn that there is a software compatibility issue with this chipset. I don't even mention about 2 months I spent on investigating the cause of the issue, desperately. I bought a new PSU for no reason thinking that it was the cause. The biggest problem here, we do not get any warning, log in the system that could give us some hint.

Now, I assume that you don't want to waste any more resource on this issue since it's not affecting a lot of customers. But at least put some compatibility information or announcement in your website about it. Announce that you accept the issue and you are not able to solve it.

You can be sure I'm not buying any more Corsair products after experiencing this kind of customer support.

My setup:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K @ 3.70GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770, Asus DirectCU II GDDR5 2GB

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 750 Platinum

Bios: v4801 (25 July 2014)

Chipset: MEI v11.0.5.1189 (28 March 2016)

USB 3.0: ASMedia v10.0.18362.207 (19 June 2019), (Also tried it with USB 2.0 ports but issue persists)

Windows 10 Pro, v1903, Build: 18362.356 (Clean install)

iCue: v3.20.80

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

After reading through the last couple of posts, I thought to mention that I have the same symptoms on an AMD Asus Crosshair 7.

Someone refers to the CPUIDSDK.DLL and CPUIDSDK64.DLL as being the culprits. I've got nothing to add to suggest otherwise.

None the less, it is a royal pain. :mad::!::sigh!:

Evening all,

Just had my most recent black screen crash tonight so thought I would try searching online one more time and have stumbled across this thread.

I have been experiencing these crashes since I put my rig together in late 2018. My specs are as follows:-

-Asus X370-f

-Ryzen 2700x

-Aorus 1080ti

-Corsair H150i AIO

-2x8GB 8pack Team Group 3200mhz RAM

-RM850x PSU

-Corsair Obsidian 750d case

-1xM.2, 2xSsd 2xmech

-Corsair M65 pro mouse

-Corsair K70 mk2 keyboard

-Corsair Void headset

The things i have done whilst trying to get to the bottom of this issue:-

-X370f RMA and replaced.

-2700x RMA and replaced.

-RM750x sold and replaced.

-Bought h150i to replace wraith prizm cooler.

-Aorus 1080ti sent back for testing and returned when found to be stable.

-Memtest run on RAM as well as trying single sticks and different slots.

-Removed all front panel connectors from mono bar power and reset.

-Multiple BIOS and chipset updates.

-Multiple attempts at changing bios settings (ram speeds, auto clock features etc).

-Fresh install of windows 10 64bit twice.

-Tried every single power plan except low power.

-Rebuilt rig from scratch including replacing RMA'd parts 5 times.

-Uninstalled monitoring software and opting to only run HWinfo64

-Uninstalled Ai suite early on

-Removed speakers.

-Saved many logs from HWinfo64 but the ones that were running when I got the crash never showed any anomalies

There are probably some more things I've tried, each time naively believing I may have finally solved it only for it to come back at random. Long and short of it I have sunk hours (maybe even days by this point) of time and many more £££ than I originally budgeted for into trying to get to the bottom of this and not once did I consider it being down to iCue.

Now my crashes are not as frequent as some and seem to go away for months only for them to return and usually happen quite frequently (1-5) for a short period and then I won't get any for a while.

Also for transparency it's worth mentioning that I have had issues (unsure if related) with Ryzen Master consistently showing cpu temp anomalies where for a split second the temps would spike anywhere between -57 to +198. These anomalies have only shown once in HWinfo64 and were not fixed by replacing mobo or cpu.

Can try uninstalling iCue but really (to my shame) don't want to loose my cooler/mouse/keyboard lighting after investing so heavily in Corsair products. If I rename the CPUID files as mentioned will my h150 pump stop or will it just effect the fans?

As you can imagine it's bittersweet finding this thread as on one hand I'm happy to have possibly found the root cause but also really gutted to find it's down to Corsairs software after all this. I always aspired to have a mostly Corsair setup after growing up never being able to afford to and always looking on with envy at a good friends Corsair setup.

Anyway I joined this forum in the hopes that adding my voice to the rest may make Corsair take note but more so I can try some of what has been suggested with a bit of feedback on how I can rename the CPUID files but keep my h150i running safely. I guess that I should also, not that I want to, consider possibly changing out all the Corsair parts that utilise iCue for other brands that don't have this issue but I'm still paying off most of the rest of the rig so this is a less than ideal solution.

Needless to say this whole experience has put into doubt the esteem I've always held for Corsair and Asus.

Edited by Jontain

Evening all,

So I have just renamed cupidsdk.dll and cpuidsdk64.dll after closing icue and stopping the service followed by a to see if this fixes the issue for me, already had my fan curves set to run off of h150i sensor so hopefully this is safe?

Also will I need to make this same change after every iCue update?

• 2 weeks later...
Evening all,

So I have just renamed cupidsdk.dll and cpuidsdk64.dll after closing icue and stopping the service followed by a to see if this fixes the issue for me, already had my fan curves set to run off of h150i sensor so hopefully this is safe?

Also will I need to make this same change after every iCue update?

Yes you would need to rename cupidsdk.dll and cpuidsdk64.dll every time you update the software. However, if your system is stable and doesn't black screen or lock up then why not consider leaving the software alone.

I am having the same issue as Whiskey, GPU crash or flatout restarts. ICUE is the only culprit.

After uninstalling CPUID HWmonitor I was able to boot long enough and open ICUE to disable the LED's on the RGB ram then unintsall without a crash. Now my room isnt lit up like a nightclub all night.

Asus x470

AMD 2700x

Vega 64

Vengence RGB RPO 3200mhz

(everything stock clocks)

P.s Could someone clarify the process to bypass the crashes by renaming cpuid and the drawbacks. Someone mentioned not being able to read certain temps after doing so.

Tia.

Iv had this issue for ages i am even on a nvidia thread thats huge were some have changed complete systems and still got same issue, i give up on it yet i fall on this thread and see its a cue issue, ive doen the dll (bak) and this explains why dashboard shows less no so ive disabled that, hope this is sorted as i am in too deep with cost of corasir rgb gear now, also i dont get black screen not since latest icue update just a freeze and i cant reset now i have todo a hard shutdown