Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:41 AM
Baio's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1010580
Baio Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Computer Guy View Post
On page 2-21 of your manual describes the beep codes.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...-FI_UM_WEB.pdf
Which item is identified by the beep code you are receiving?
The second, "no RAM detected".

Baio

Old 07-14-2019, 01:53 AM
Baio's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1011137

No one?

Baio

Old 07-14-2019, 07:20 AM
A Computer Guy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1011145
A Computer Guy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baio View Post
No one?

Baio
I don't know if I can really help in terms of getting you to 3600 but I can probably for 2933 or 3200. (assuming if the settings are right the beep code may go away) Extract your SPD chip information and post it here.
Be sure to include the nanosecond timings as well. (use HWiNFO64 or Thaiphoon)

Old 07-15-2019, 01:32 PM
Baio's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1011355

Quote:
I don't know if I can really help in terms of getting you to 3600 but I can probably for 2933 or 3200. (assuming if the settings are right the beep code may go away) Extract your SPD chip information and post it here.
Be sure to include the nanosecond timings as well. (use HWiNFO64 or Thaiphoon)
Thanks again.
Here is Thaipoon extract:

Here is what Calculator says:

But with those values I can't post higher than 3466.

Baio

Old 07-15-2019, 07:01 PM

POST ID # = 1011402

Quote:
Thanks again.
Here is Thaipoon extract:

Here is what Calculator says:

But with those values I can't post higher than 3466.

Baio
Great just need one more screen shot of Ryzen Dram Calculator where your configured and running at 3200 w/XMP then in DRAM Calc use the V1 profile and XMP button and turn on compare timings (they will be listed in blue when shown).

Also if you're running at 3200 does memtest86 report any errors? Just a few, a lot, or none?

Last edited by A Computer Guy; 07-15-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:48 AM
Baio's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1011495

Quote:
Great just need one more screen shot of Ryzen Dram Calculator where your configured and running at 3200 w/XMP then in DRAM Calc use the V1 profile and XMP button and turn on compare timings (they will be listed in blue when shown).

Also if you're running at 3200 does memtest86 report any errors? Just a few, a lot, or none?
Sorry, I'm not so skilled with Dram Calculator… che you please write step by step what I'm supposed to do to get the screenshot?

Baio

Old 07-17-2019, 09:30 PM

POST ID # = 1011656

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not so skilled with Dram Calculator… check you please write step by step what I'm supposed to do to get the screenshot?

Baio
Yes no problem, Instructions:

1) I want a base line that we know works without memory errors. (ignoring the beep code for the moment) I am assuming you are working ok at DDR4-3200 except that ram beep issue. Be sure by at least running 1 pass of memtest86. If you get errors (I want to know what tests failed and the counts) then step down in speed by one until you get one that passes using your downclocked XMP profile.

2) In dram calculator just fill out the options again just with the following adjustments.
3) Set "Profile Version" to "V1" instead of "debug". (this will disable nanosecond inputs - this is ok)
4) Set "Frequency" to match you current running frequency "3200"
5) Click the big purple XMP button
6) Click the big grey "Compare Timings" button
7) Click the bit green "Calculate Safe" button
8) Take the screen shot and post it back here.

Just FYI, I am tinkering with my new CPU upgrade so I may not be quick to reply.

Last edited by A Computer Guy; 07-17-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Baio's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1011658

Quote:
Yes no problem, Instructions:

1) I want a base line that we know works without memory errors. (ignoring the beep code for the moment) I am assuming you are working ok at DDR4-3200 except that ram beep issue. Be sure by at least running 1 pass of memtest86. If you get errors (I want to know what tests failed and the counts) then step down in speed by one until you get one that passes using your downclocked XMP profile.

2) In dram calculator just fill out the options again just with the following adjustments.
3) Set "Profile Version" to "V1" instead of "debug". (this will disable nanosecond inputs - this is ok)
4) Set "Frequency" to match you current running frequency "3200"
5) Click the big purple XMP button
6) Click the big grey "Compare Timings" button
7) Click the bit green "Calculate Safe" button
8) Take the screen shot and post it back here.

Just FYI, I am tinkering with my new CPU upgrade so I may not be quick to reply.
Here it is, hope I did it well.

Memtest is ok.

Baio

Ps. which CPU did you upgrade to?
Attached Images
File Type: png New.png (67.7 KB, 111 views)

Old 07-18-2019, 11:32 PM

POST ID # = 1011751

Quote:
Here it is, hope I did it well.

Memtest is ok.

Baio

Ps. which CPU did you upgrade to?
Got a 3800x. It's seems awesome but now I have a few issues to reconcile.
(early adopter sigh)

(I've been retroactively updating this post in case others are upgrading their Ryzen CPU's as well and are having ram issues.)

1) As expected I have to reconfigure my ram again but I was hoping it would be easier this time around considering 3000 series supports 3200 out of the box. Right now I'm running my XMP down-clocked to 2933. Unfortunately my guess/hope about using the 3000 processor wan't quite right and my ram kit still continues to have issues with the XMP 3200 for tRC and maybe tCL too but I will have to troubleshoot it more.
(I was hoping my XMP 3200 would finally work at stock timings)

It could be a compatibility issue (the ram I have was advertised for Intel systems after all but my mobo is perhaps not that great either) and possibly adjustment for Ryzen is not avoidable.

I did get the CPU push 3400 on AUTO which I could not before, and at 1.2v, passing at least 1 pass with memtest86. This was surprising considering it's XMP is rated for 1.35v at 3200. At 3600 it wouldn't post but I wonder if it can with the right settings.

At this point I want to work my way back up to the stable 3200 I had previously using my config that worked and benched really well with my Ryzen 2600.
(update #1: BIOS/UEFI P3.40 helped with compatibility http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthre...47#post1011847)
(update #2: Managed to OC my DDR4-3200 kit to DDR4-3600!)

2) I need to research if my CPU temps are normal. With the non-centered die I wonder if I didn't apply enough thermal paste to sufficiently cover the chip in offset area. At post I get 55c but the new Ryzen Master reports temps bouncing all over the place from 40c to 60c however with CPUz stress test it reaches 78c which I guess isn't too bad.
(update #1: 95c is max so these temps are not problematic, similar results elsewhere on internet, use and adjust ryzen power plan to throttle CPU to control thermals (will reduce performance) set max=99% to reduce to 34c and cap 3.8GHz boost, max=100% & min=0% full performance and thermals)
(update #2: Updating to Windows 10 19.03 shows improvement as my max temp went from 78c to 73c)

3) I need to research if my voltages I'm getting are normal. I almost had a panic attack when it posted at 1.488v but from what I read the other day this may be normal because of several factors and the processors ability to automatically manage the voltages.
(update #1: voltages normal https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...3rd_gen_ryzen/)
(update #2: more about voltage https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...l_half_of_the/)

4) I need to research if the newer AGESA updates that ASRock still hasn't pushed down to x470. The CPU seemed to boost to 4.5GHz no problem. All core 4.2GHz in CPUz stress test. Haven't messed with PBO yet I think it's default state is disabled even when it says AUTO.
(update #1: AGESA 1.0.0.1 is working fine I think, AMD is having issues with 1.0.0.3ABA https://www.techpowerup.com/257514/a...rboard-vendors)
(update #2: Memory compatibility improved with AGESA 1.0.0.3AB)

5) The ASRock BIOS/UEFI opened up with a lot of new options. I now understand why ASRock BIOS/UEFI is a mess and I have to figure out the correct place to modify settings and deal with the new quirks and things that don't appear to be working right.
(update #1: SOC config now located in Advanced/CBS/NBIO/XFR, AUTO worked ok but didn't want BIOS/UEFI to change it on me between cold boots so I set a static value)
(update #2: New BIOS/UEFI P3.40 (AGESA 1.0.0.3AB) seems improved and cleaned up UI.

6) Ryzen Master and HWiNFO64 don't seem agree on CPU usage at all.
(update: polling differences)

7) iCue is causing an issue. It's hitting the CPU hard pushing boosting way up including core voltage and thermals. I can drop to low 30's-c on idle and voltages drop after I close iCue.
(update: just seems to be a nuisance issue, I have comments here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188734 and here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188911)

8) DRAM Calculator is broken and thinks the CPU is an Intel processor. I have to wait for a new DRAM Calculator which makes things more difficult. Also until a new version is available it will be harder for me to help you. I was going to use it to map out a series of combinations for you to try but now I'm SOL on that, or at least it will take more back and forth and a bit more effort. I'll probably have something for you to try in a few days.
(update #1: partially functional, updating chipset drivers was needed)
(update #2: new dram calculator https://www.techpowerup.com/download...am-calculator/)
(update #3: new dram calculator didn't support making a config for my memory overclock from 3200 to 3600 but it worked anyway)

Last edited by A Computer Guy; 08-02-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:13 AM
Baio's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1011754

Quote:
Got a 3800x. It's seems awesome but now I have a few issues to reconcile.
(early adopter sigh)

1) As expected I have to reconfigure my ram again but I was hoping it would be easier this time around considering 3000 series supports 3200 out of the box. Right now I'm running my XMP down-clocked to 2933. Unfortunately my guess/hope about using the 3000 processor wan't quite right and my ram kit still continues to have issues with the XMP 3200 for tRC and maybe tCL too but I will have to troubleshoot it more.
(I was hoping my XMP 3200 would finally work at stock timings)

It could be a compatibility issue (the ram I have was advertised for Intel systems after all but my mobo is perhaps not that great either) and possibly adjustment for Ryzen is not avoidable.

I did get the CPU push 3400 on AUTO which I could not before, and at 1.2v, passing at least 1 pass with memtest86. This was surprising considering it's XMP is rated for 1.35v at 3200. At 3600 it wouldn't post but I wonder if it can with the right settings.

At this point I want to work my way back up to the stable 3200 I had previously using my config that worked and benched really well with my Ryzen 2600.

2) I need to research if my CPU temps are normal. With the non-centered die I wonder if I didn't apply enough thermal paste to sufficiently cover the chip in offset area. At post I get 55c but the new Ryzen Master reports temps bouncing all over the place from 40c to 60c however with CPUz stress test it reaches 78c which I guess isn't too bad.

3) I need to research if my voltages I'm getting are normal. I almost had a panic attack when it posted at 1.488v but from what I read the other day this may be normal because of several factors and the processors ability to automatically manage the voltages.

4) I need to research if the newer AGESA updates that ASRock still hasn't pushed down to x470 addresses temp/voltage/PB/PBO issues. The CPU seemed to boost to 4.5GHz no problem. All core 4.2GHz in CPUz stress test. Haven't messed with PBO yet I think it's default state is disabled even when it says AUTO.

5) The ASRock BIOS/UEFI opened up with a lot of new options. I now understand why ASRock BIOS/UEFI is a mess and I have to figure out the correct place to modify settings and deal with the new quirks and things that don't appear to be working right.

6) Ryzen Master and HWiNFO64 don't agree on CPU usage at all.

7) iCue is causing an issue. It's hitting the CPU hard pushing boosting way up including core voltage and thermals. I can drop to low 30's-c on idle and voltages drop after I close iCue.

8) DRAM Calculator is broken and thinks the CPU is an Intel processor. I have to wait for a new DRAM Calculator which makes things more difficult. Also until a new version is available it will be harder for me to help you. I was going to use it to map out a series of combinations for you to try but now I'm SOL on that, or at least it will take more back and forth and a bit more effort. I'll probably have something for you to try in a few days.
A lot of work for you!

As I suspected reading around, new CPUs means new problems.
I can't state if it's on mobo producers or it's on AMD's Agesa, but 1 year (and more) after i bought CPU and mobo, things continue to be unstable and maybe get worse rather than better.
And that is upsetting.

Baio

Old 07-22-2019, 09:06 PM

POST ID # = 1012145

Baio,

Questions:

1) can you run a test bench with UserBenchmark.com and get a baseline memory score and report it here. I tend to use this to get a general sense how my memory configuration compares to others with similar hardware. You can paste the link of your bench results back here.

2) At DDR4-3200 are you currently using any specified voltages, termination block, or cad bus settings recommended by by Dram Calculator?

3) Did you try any of the settings from this page? I'm interested to know if the DDR4-3200 setting from this site works for you?
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...g-guide/9.html

4) I'm wondering if the following value changes will work for you at DDR4-3200?

Quote:
tCL - 16 ---> 16
tRCD - 18 ---> 17
tRP - 18 ---> 17
tRAS - 36 ---> 34
tRC - 58 ---> 52
tRRDS - 7 ---> 6
tRRDL - 10 ---> 8
tFAW - 35 ---> 36
tWTRS - 4 ---> 4
tWTRL - 12 ---> 12
tWR - 12 ---> 12
tRDRDSCL - 5 ---> 4
tWRWRSCL - 5 ---> 4
tRFC - 345 ---> 320
tRFC2 - 256 ---> 238
tRFC4 - 157 ---> 146
tCWL - 16 ---> 16
tRTP - 12 ---> 12
tRDWR - 8 ---> 6
tWRRD - 4 ---> 3
tWRWRSC - 1 ---> 1
tWRWRSD - 7 ---> 7
tWRWRDD - 7 ---> 7
tRDRDSC - 1 ---> 1
tRDRDSD - 5 ---> 5
tRDRDDD - 5 ---> 5
tCKE - 9 ---> 8

Old 07-28-2019, 12:39 PM
Baio's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1012883

Quote:
Baio,

Questions:

1) can you run a test bench with UserBenchmark.com and get a baseline memory score and report it here. I tend to use this to get a general sense how my memory configuration compares to others with similar hardware. You can paste the link of your bench results back here.
Here it is.

Quote:
2) At DDR4-3200 are you currently using any specified voltages, termination block, or cad bus settings recommended by by Dram Calculator?
I should try, as I'm running @3400 with Calculator values.

Quote:
3) Did you try any of the settings from this page? I'm interested to know if the DDR4-3200 setting from this site works for you?
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...g-guide/9.html

4) I'm wondering if the following value changes will work for you at DDR4-3200?
I think I can use them but I'm gonna try.

Baio

Old 07-28-2019, 01:16 PM

POST ID # = 1012889

Quote:
Here it is.

I should try, as I'm running @3400 with Calculator values.

I think I can use them but I'm gonna try.

Baio
Note: You can use the updated Ryzen Master as a replacement for Ryzen Timing Checker which no longer works with newer BIOS/UEFI. It will report your memory settings now so you can use that to see what your BIOS/UEFI choose to use for anything that was left on AUTO.

So are you are stable at 3400 now?

Old 08-02-2019, 01:30 AM
Baio's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013428

Quote:
Note: You can use the updated Ryzen Master as a replacement for Ryzen Timing Checker which no longer works with newer BIOS/UEFI. It will report your memory settings now so you can use that to see what your BIOS/UEFI choose to use for anything that was left on AUTO.

So are you are stable at 3400 now?
Yes, stable @3400 with the timings you see in the attachment.

But the point is my RAM is rated 3600 and it's where I wanna be… as you can see I've calculated timings again with the latest version (1.6.0.3), but starting from this base I can't go higher than 3400 or low timings (and there are many I must keep higher than Calculator says) or I get RAM beeps.

The only one I left to Auto in the BIOS are:

TRCPAGE (not mentioned by Calculator)
TRFC4 (not mentioned, but I assume that TRFC (alt) is named TRFC2 in Asus BIOS)
MEMADDRCMDSETUP (not mentioned by Calculator)
MEMCSODTSETUP (not mentioned by Calculator)
MEMCKSSETUP (not mentioned by Calculator)

Am I supposed to set also the "Advanced" tab values?

Why Calculator gives very different results switching from V1, V2 and manual?
I undestood V1 is for more lucky sticks and V2 for poorest (like mine) but what does manual mean? I see manual calculates higher timings in same cases and lower in others...

Thanks again!

Baio
Attached Images
File Type: png Cattura.PNG (323.7 KB, 56 views)

Old 08-02-2019, 09:28 PM

POST ID # = 1013543

Quote:
Yes, stable @3400 with the timings you see in the attachment.

But the point is my RAM is rated 3600 and it's where I wanna be… as you can see I've calculated timings again with the latest version (1.6.0.3), but starting from this base I can't go higher than 3400 or low timings (and there are many I must keep higher than Calculator says) or I get RAM beeps.

The only one I left to Auto in the BIOS are:

TRCPAGE (not mentioned by Calculator)
TRFC4 (not mentioned, but I assume that TRFC (alt) is named TRFC2 in Asus BIOS)
MEMADDRCMDSETUP (not mentioned by Calculator)
MEMCSODTSETUP (not mentioned by Calculator)
MEMCKSSETUP (not mentioned by Calculator)

Am I supposed to set also the "Advanced" tab values?

Why Calculator gives very different results switching from V1, V2 and manual?
I undestood V1 is for more lucky sticks and V2 for poorest (like mine) but what does manual mean? I see manual calculates higher timings in same cases and lower in others...

Thanks again!

Baio
Quite frankly I think you seem to be doing really well at 3400 considering tha UserBenchmark score you posted.
I would consider sticking with that or go back to the other kit that did work at DDR4-3600.

Using the SPD information you provided I took calculated XMP values and now compared them to the DDR4-3400 config you provided. My initial thoughts when comparing them: There is possibly some minor improvements to be had while at DDR4-3400 but you already stated you cannot lower your timings any more. My curiosity is wondering if the adjustments below would still be stable for you?

CUR | XMP | Description
_18 | _18 | tCL
_19 | _19 | tRCD
_18 | _19 | tRP
_39 | _39 | tRAS
_60 | _58 | tRC (maybe -2?)
480 | 630 | tRFC1
__7 | __6 | tRRDS (maybe -1?)
__9 | __9 | tRRDL
_42 | _40 | tFAW (maybe -2?)

Can you lower the other timings noted above to match XMP timings (not frequency) possibly by first increasing tRFC1 to 630 first, reboot then lowering it again afterwards? I suspect if you are having problems it may be failing to post at lower tRC? If tRFC1 is too low you may have problem tring to post as well.

There must be some kind of significant difference between your G.Skill 3600CAS16 kit making it clearly more compatible with your other components at the higher frequency. Maybe you can dump your SPD chip info for that kit and lets compare between the two? (be sure to capture the shole screenshot, the last one was truncated)

I haven't really applied many values directly from the advanced tab of dram calculator except once I think for VDDP voltage which helped with a prior experiment. I find some of the things there interesting however I don't know if they really matter and I don't recall if that web overclocking article described any impact of using many of those other values.

Dram calculator has recently been updated and I read somewhere that what is now "manual" was previously called "debug".

Also have you done any experiments with your DRAM or SOC voltages according to the article I referenced?

So how about this... can you even post at DDR4-3600 DRAM@1.35v, SOC@1.020v (one point zero two zero, stay below 1.1) , 20-20-20-40-60 or any looser timings at all?

Last edited by A Computer Guy; 08-02-2019 at 09:35 PM.