Corsair Community

TR3X6G1866C7GT and Asus Rampage 2 Extreme - BIOS only sees 4GB

tohughes76

Brand new build with ASUS R2E (BIOS 1406) and i7 975 will only show 4GB in BIOS and XP64, although CPU-Z shows all 6GB. Ran Memtest Deluxe on each individual module with no errors. Swapped slots several times and actually had BIOS and XP show all 6GB for two boots, then back to 4GB:confused:

I have searched the ASUS and Corsair forums and have seen this similar situation many times but no solution. The ASUS support rep said to manually enter voltages and timings...I haven't yet found this combination's settings posted here. Could someone direct me to the appropriate thread if there is one? Or any other help is appreciated.

They're printed right on the label.

What does the BIOS show? Is windows up to date?

I have tried the following specs(right from the spec sheet), but to no avail:

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1866 MHz

DRAM Timings Control: Manual

CAS# Latency:___________7

RAS# to CAS# Delay:______8

RAS# Precharge:__________7

RAS# Activate to Precharge:20

DRAM Voltage:_________1.65V

QPI Voltage:___________1.60 V

I also tried 1366@9-9-9-24 which is also listed on the spec sheet, still only showing 4GB of RAM.

BIOS is the latest for the Asus R2E, OS is dual boot Win7/64 & XP64 both of which are fully updated.

Again, what really confuses me is that the full 6GB showed up for 2 boots then disappeared with no other changes. Hopefully someone has seen this before and found a solution.

Thanks Wired, I'll try that when I get back home to my machine on Friday.

Two other questions...

1. If the RAM and slots test ok, is it possible that the memory controller issue could be remedied by re-seating the CPU?

2. Is there any way to definitively determine that the memory controller is bad? Prob need to figure that out before I call NewEgg and try to RMA the CPU...

Thanks,

Tim

Okay, back home at the computer and running tests. Each module individually tests ok in slots B1 & C1 (computer will not post with a single module in A1). I then tested in pairs in different combinations of slots and modules, each time the BIOS recognizes 4GB regardless of position.

I then installed all 3 modules and without changing any other settings, and all 6GB were recognized. This is with all RAM settings in auto (1366, 9-9-9-24, DRAM 1.6, QPI 1.2). The problem seemed to be cleared up with approx 10 successful boots in a row...

Then the problem crept back in. I would say that now 1 in every 5 boots yeilds the problem where only 4GB is seen. The following boot it will be back to 6GB again. I have checked the security of the RAM as well as every other MB connection. I again set the RAM to the recommended settings (1866, 7-8-7-20, DRAM 1.65, QPI 1.60, all other settings AUTO) and that produced the 4GB problem again.

Any ideas on the problem as it stands now?

More testing shows that the Corsair recommended specs (1866, 7-8-7-20, DRAM 1.65, QPI 1.60) will produce the problem of only 4 out of 6GB recognized by the BIOS and OS (CPU-Z still sees 6) every time.

With all settings in auto (defaulting at 1333, 9-9-9-24, DRAM 1.6, QPI 1.21) it continues to successfully show 6GB ~80% of the time, and the rest exhibiting the 4GB prob.

Can anyone help? Am I missing a setting or something?

Thanks

do not run 1.60 qpi voltage on 975 or any D0 cpu max u need for 2000 mhz is 1.4 those new D0 stepping cpus dont need that much volts on qpi ,and i7 975 does not like 1.6v qpi i was reading allot on net how much to put volts on qpi for my D0 920 and like nobody goes above 1.4v u probably burned memory controler on cpu get it replaced or test with other cpu

I'd like to think that was it, but the problem existed before I ever made any adjustments to the RAM timings or voltage. I had just assembled the system and was running the stock SPD when I first noticed the problem.

I called ASUS and they seem to think it's a bad slot as the machine should post with just one stick in any of the slots. Mine wouldn't post with a single stick in slot A1. I would think that it wouldn't show up at all if the slot was bad, but I guess that is a place to start.

RMA'd the board with New Egg this afternoon. Hope it's that and not the mem controller...

I also just got an ASUS RIIE, and I'm experiencing a very similar problem to yours (although I'm running ******** memory, not Corsair, and I am able to POST with just one stick in A1.) I just ordered a new CPU, hoping that I can get past this problem...

Actually, in addition to having the 4/6GB problem you describe, I also have a problem when I run any of the high-end-graphics games that I have (Fallout 3, Neverwinter Nights 2, Oblivion). The system BSODs, or otherwise just fails to run the game.

I ordered a new CPU, because the ASUS support guy seemed to think that the memory controller was implicated. I'll check back in this thread after swapping out my CPU, and exchange notes with you again.

- s.west

• Corsair Employee
I would agree with funky25 the newe CPU's with D0 stepping will not run well with XMP Profiles because the QPI Voltage is set to 1.6 Volts and I would try it at 1.3 to 1.5 Volts max and the memory Voltage set to 1.65 Volts.

Thx Ram Guy...you may want to make a note of that on your link to Dominator timings, as it doesn't differentiate between the D0 and C0 steppings (it still shows a QPI of 1.6 for my modules).

I am hopeful (guardedly) that since the problem existed at the initial boots when I ran at SPD that I didn't fry the memory controller on the CPU. I only ran it at 1.6 QPI a handful of times testing it after that. When I removed the CPU from the motherboard I didn't see any damage to pins or the socket.

Now lets hope New Egg turns it around quick enough to test the new MB in time to RMA the CPU inside of 30 days in the event it wasn't the MB...

yea i am prime95 and linx stable at 1.38v on qpi for a 3.3ghz 24/7 overclock on same memory as yours ,for 3.8ghz overclock i need 1.4 to be fully stable but it depends on your cpus memory controler maybe u need less maybe more u need to start with 1.3v qpi stresstest memory if u get 124 bsod up a notch qpi volts and so on and on untill u find stable settings i hope i get it working good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a new CPU, because the ASUS support guy seemed to think that the memory controller was implicated. I'll check back in this thread after swapping out my CPU, and exchange notes with you again.

- s.west

Replacing the CPU solved my memory problem. Seems the memory controller was bad on the original CPU.

Also, all the other problems I mentioned were directly related to the power supply. So, I just replaced my Ultra X3 850W PSU with a Corsair CMPSU-850HX.

- s.west

Hi,

I am experiencing the exact same problem with my i7 rig!!

I have two different sets of RAM, 6GBCorsair Dominator 1600MHz, and 3GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz, and it happens with both sets of RAM..

Each stick has been tested individually and they all ran for 20 passes of memtest boot disc without a single error, so I know it isn't the RAM...

I have also went out and bought a brand new Gigabyte EX58 UD5 (I now have 2 of these) and the EXACT same thing happens on the new board as well, and it is the exact same dimm slot that isn't being recognized...

I am fairly confident now that it is my processors IMC that is faulty so I have been given an RMA number to return it again (I already RMA'd the processor as I have been experiencing problems with my build since day 1) but I will be buying another i920 in the next week or 2, as I have decided to put together an i7 system for my Fiancee, so when I get her CPU I will test it out in my system before I go returning my current processor...

@swest, It is good to hear that a new CPU sorted your problems, as I have been searching all over the net to find other people with this same problem, and all I have been told by folk is that it has something to do with the distance between QPI/Vtt and VDimm voltage that is causing this problem, but I have played around with QPI voltage from 1.175v right up to 1.45v to see if what they say is true, but nothing would let my system see the full 6GB of RAM...

When I first put this rig together, it used to see all 6GB of RAM installed, but the system was extremely unstable all of the time, then one day I powered up my rig, and noticed that it was only booting with 4GB of RAM, but now my system is completely stable!!!

There are some days that I turn it on, and it sees the full 6GB, but as soon as I reset it, it goes back to booting with 4GB again... I would say it boots with 6GB once or twice a week, but it only lasts for a couple of hours at the most, and if I do anything that uses a lot of RAM/CPU the system will crash after a short while, and then go back to booting with 4GB..

But like I said, when it is only running 4GB of RAM, it is completely stable, running @ 4GHz with 1.264v Vcore, and 1.35v QPI.. it will run 8 hours of Prime95 Blend Test, and do 20+ passes of LinX using maximum amount of RAM... but I don't want to run this system in Dual Channel mode, I want triple channel bandwidth!!!

I may just ship the processor on Monday now after reading this thread, as I am even more confident that it is my CPU now... I was just afraid that I was going to send it back to OcUK and for them to tell me that it wasn't faulty again!

I will let you guys know how I get on...

Interesting update:

As I stated above, I RMA'd the motherboard as ASUS tech support said it must have been the board. I was unable to boot with a single stick in the A1 slot, but no problems in B1 or C1.

I received the new MOBO about 3 weeks ago and installed all of the other original components. Booted up and recognized all 6GB of ram right out of the gate. For the next 100 or so boots, I checked each time in both the BIOS and the OS to see that all of the RAM was recognized and it was perfect every time. I then stopped checking as I figured that the prob was with the original MOBO...

So just out of curiosity this morning, I checked the properties in the Win7 RC, and it showed only 4GB. Rebooted several times and same thing every time, only 4GB.

I am officially confused. Since installing the new MOBO, I have not re-opened the case, nor have I made any changes in the BIOS. I also have not yet overclocked. I would assume that it must be the mem controller on the CPU, but for the life of me I cannot understand how it can work perfectly for that long, then present the problem again.

I am open to suggestions...

• 10 months later...

Has anyone solved this problem? I just upgraded by Rampage II Extreme from 3GB to 6GB during my switch to W7 64 bit. I've rebooted the system numerous times and have had varying success getting the BIOS to recognize 6GB. CPU-Z recognizes 6GB but my CPU Usage gadget and System Properties (along with the BIOS) only see 4GB. Very frustrating. The slots seem to be fine since 3GB works properly, so I'm guessing there is some other issue at play. BTW I'm using CMG6GX3M3A1600C7.

I'd love to get some feedback!!

Archived