Corsair Community

After LED profile, now fan profile gets dropped too!

Ensor

So this is the second time I start up my PC and find all fans blaring at full speed. Checking on CorsairLink it turns out Link has just dropped my fan curves and resetted to whatever it thinks is best.

Looks like the same kind of thing as the LED colors, only while that is a cosmetic, I don't want to be re-shaping my fan curves every time I start up my PC.

I am getting a bit miffed. Corsair, I want to know where you store this data.

This week I want you to provide the information or release a fixed firmware and updated software, if not the Corsair Link is going to be pulled out of my system and I am going to buy a WORKING product (which incidentally, will of course not be Corsair).

I'm using 1.2.5, clean install, removed all previous profiles.

I set the fans for custom control, and shaped the response curve. It is those response curves that get reset.

Even on re-entering them, and saving the profile, after next cold start the response curves were back to a "default" shape (which is way over the max RPM of my fans so they effectively run at full speed).

It is very similar to the LED module not retaining the set colors. After a cold restart of the system, it defaults back to its own interpretation.

Are these profiles stored in the Commander? There is nothing about them in the profile XML or anywhere in the Registry.

ETA: Firmware version Commander 1.1.9, Cooling Node 1.1.12, Lighting Node 1.1.9. Apparently there are new Firmware's available, is it safe to update them and see if that resolves the issue?

I've always ran it as administrator, else it can't get my CPU temps.

Anyway, I succeeded in updating my Commander to FW 1.2.0 apparently without bricking it*) and I've been trying to do the same with the Cooling and the Lighting node, but the "download firmware" doesn't seem to be working. It offers to download a file, asks me to save it and then doesn't save it. That may be an internet issue or perhaps a busy server, I'll give that another try tomorrow.

If I get it going I'll try again whether that new firmware fixes the issues -- no use in filing bug reports if I'm not up to date.

*) It LOOKED bricked after the restart but making sure everything was powered off (including mains) for a little while made it responsive again and it reports the new firmware version. I guess it is interesting to note that my motherboard keeps power on the USB even if the system is switched off.

OK, I re-entered my profile, saved it, did a full power-off cold start and it looks like it has now retained the settings.

Except for the LED color settings, but I don't mind too much about them.

I'll just leave it at that and await any new firmware/software releases.

I have a similar issue. Not sure if it's quite the same or not, but my system resets one of my H100's fans to maximum RPM on every reboot (the other is left at Balanced where I had set it).

I'm running 1.2.5... I'll try an earlier version, but otherwise I'll have to pull the Corsair Link and wait for a fix.

This is crazy. Link worked OK for two days, this morning I start up my PC and all the custom fan profiles are dropped again. It's "defaulted" or so back to some curves that are way higher than the max RPM of my fans so everything is at top speed again.

It also ditched the temperature points I had set and substituted its own. Double-you Tee Eff??

Corsair, I've asked before where that stuff gets stored. Now either tell me with some proper documentation so I can do some troubleshooting myself or just fix it, I'm close to ripping it out and if I do it'll be the last Corsair product I've have used or recommended.

Ensor,

I understand your frustraion. Believe me.

Have you tried to totally uninstalling the software and reinstalling it? I was not able to have my profiles saved but (so far) the latest (1.2.5) software seems to have fixed it.

I also have no proof for this , I am just guessing, that maybe some other background program you have running is interfering with the Link. Something like a registry cleaner or some other utility.

Good luck.

I have an idea that the loss of the fan curves is due to the Link responding to a Notification condition I've set, if CPU>70 centigrade set all fans to 100%.

That triggered in the last session before shutdown.

I've removed the condition and I'll see if it happens again.

I'm a bit daunted because I see the moment when we can start requesting features like have one fan group react to more than one temperature measurement is way over the horizon. It's a bug hunt for now.

It's one of the features in the Link software.

But never mind, it just happened again. At startup it looks like the Link has forgotten all I've ever made in terms of fan curves, and substituted its own fan curves.

Since all my fans are low-speed that means it's effectively on full blast again.

1490702305_ScreenHunter_01Mar_1412_22.jpg.97883f84ceae6863440e32f96d8086dd.jpg

• Corsair Employee
For comparison, this is what it should be, and how I've set it.

This is for one fan, but the other fans show the same sort of "back to default".

The profile it is defaulting to is the "Balanced" mode. I will try to re create this today in the lab. The profile itself is stored in the .xml file in /users/(user name)/Corsair/Corsair Link. When the program is shut down the current active profile saves itself to the hardware so that it can run without the software. That is the profile that should be active until you start the program again and physically change something.

Yes, but there is the puzzling thing, there is NO info whatsoever stored in the XML that I can construe to refer to those fan curves.

First thought was to backup the XML and place it back/reload it when that happens, but that's not going to do the trick, this is all there is on it:

<Device Name="1:Fan 1" Type="FAN" Addr="56110" Module="CommModule" Hidden="False">
     <Location X="0,6195" Y="0,1151" />
     <Zone ZoneNumber="3" />
     <Volatility>DYNAMIC</Volatility>
     <Enabled>True</Enabled>
     <Properties>
       <Mode>3</Mode>
       <ManualRPM>1898</ManualRPM>
       <MaxRPM>1459</MaxRPM>
       <RPMDivider>2</RPMDivider>
     </Properties>
     <Children />
   </Device>

Actually something similar happens to the LED profiles, but in the same way I see no references in the .xml. I can only conclude that it's stored in the hardware itself. I've scanned for relevant registry entries, but (of course for a .NET app) there's nothing of interest there either.

So basically, somehow it seemed to work before, but now the Link seems to drop the set curves every time the PC has been switched off. Over a reboot it's OK but not overnight.

I do expect some comments today from Corsair on the status of this, if not I'll take my loss, abandon this project, and go find something that WORKS.

Needless to say I wouldn't consider any Corsair products in the future.

• Corsair Employee

Ensor

I understand your frustration but Cool Guy is looking into the issue you have reported and I am sure will get back with us ASAP. I have asked him form an update and I am sure he will get back to us today.

• Corsair Employee
I have verified this on the LED settings. I have not been able to replicate it for fan profiles tough. I found that actually selecting the saved profile from the drop down menu under "File" loads back the correct saved settings for LED's. No need to reset the LED color manually. Not how it should work though. Need to dig deeper to find out exact cause.

This morning the fan profiles I set were intact. I've done some intensive soul-searching whether I did ANYTHING different or perhaps followed any other route in setting the profile, but there's nothing I can think of.

Apparently it is intermittent. I have to say that this phenomenon wasn't showing until after a while, it's only recently that it pops up.

I did update my Commander to 1.2 but that is over a week ago and doesn't seem to have any influence as I saw that profile-dropping before and after the update.

I looked at the LED profile, that was dropped. I included screen shots so you can see what I try to change.

I did the LED and Fan profiles in one go yesterday, then saved the profile and additionally saved the same profile with a different name.

Going to File and re-selecting either profile does NOT bring back my LED color settings. I have to set them again.

I realize this is a pretty tricky problem as there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to reproduce it. I can live with the LED thingie for now, although that's not what I expect for a $140 item, but the fan profiles are what I actually bought this for.

I don't think I have such a rocket science kind of setup. Basically right now I have 3 temp sensors monitoring 3 areas in my case. Each of my three intake fans is grouped in each of the 3 temp zones. I have one outtake fan that's grouped together with one of the intake fans for one of the zones.

I use one LED group that's supposed to change color with the temperature measured in the group that has an intake an the exhaust fan.

So it is really pretty basic what I do now. I'm kind of curious what those beta testers have been doing. You'd have had a list of bug reports and enhancement requests as long as my arm in one week after I installed the unit.

As far as I'm concerned we're in a critical stage in Customer Satisfaction, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking that way.

I think it's nice some willing people at Corsair are looking at the issues, however I still do not see that Corsair is taking this to be an Urgent Problem. And that is perhaps the most disappointing about the whole thing.

1615842660_ScreenHunter_01Mar_1712_14.jpg.fc027a96b547e21c793ae7127da60d83.jpg

1725200236_ScreenHunter_02Mar_1712_15.jpg.fc3907938fb06359c1ded2a386447e52.jpg

...and this morning saw a round of having to do all the profiles again. Can't figure out a rhyme or reason to it.

Of course it's the weekend now, so I'll see if there are some comments tomorrow.

Archived