Corsair Community

Noisy Fans (Loud - Not damaged)

Jaan_Doh

Hi everyone,

I recently made a new build gaming PC for playing DayZ.

Included in the build are the following:

Corsair Hydro H11oi Cooler

Ryzen7 1800X

When I first assembled the system,

I did not realise that software was needed,

(a sign of my age)

At that time the new system was quite and/or

on a par with my Thermal Take Water 3

which is my old 8350 gaming rig.

Anyway, I downloaded the software, installed it

And now I am stuck because the system water cooling fans

have become VERY VERY noisy

like they are running at 50-75% when the temps

go up a tiny bit.

I looked at the SIV software and it is a VERY useful tool

No doubt about it!!

Alas - I lack the expertise to use it productively

now that I am old and forgetful

Please can someone give me step by step instructions

on how to resolve my noisy fans issue?

Thank You

Jaan Doh

I suspect you need to change the fans to use the H110i coolant temperature, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=901292

SIV is not that hard, but I am biased. Have a read of http://rh-software.com/Using%20SIV%20to%20Control%20Corsair%20Link%20Hardware.pdf anyway. Some users seen reasonably pleased.

With this release I think you have finally achieved pretty damn close to "perfect" fan control.

Okay so I followed the relevant sections of the SIV Guide and got it up and running no problem. I did an AIDA64 CPU and FPU Stability test for one minute to make sure that the fan curve was working without Corsair Link running. It works great!

pip has been using SIV for a long time and Blasman just started.

Or check and see what that H110i Temp (coolant temp) is. Running by coolant temperature is the most efficient control variable, but it can be tiresome in rooms or cases with large temperature changes. The default curves were designed with a 20-23C room in mind. If you have a hot case or hot room, you may need to make a new curve with a higher baseline speed. You do not need much fan speed from a cooling standpoint with that hardware.

Thank You for the help.

I will swap the pc's over and take some screen shots of the corsair software.

@Red-Ray & @c-attack

I have the single wire plugged into CPU_Fan header on the motherboard

and the two fans plugs connected into the cable that plugs into the SATA power

I also have the usb plugged into a USB2.0 header on the motherboard.

I have USB3.0 headers spare too but they are a different shape.

Should I look in the software for the same fan?

Maybe I can do away with the software?

I have the following headers on my mobo

CPU_FAN1, PUMP_FAN1, SYS_FAN1~4

All headers are 4 pin but will accept 3 pin plugs too if aligned properly?

I would never use a H110i without using software to control it.

The H110i sounds to be correctly connected, post the CL 4.6.0.85 [home] tab screen shot and I will be able to tell more.

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759585 if you don't have enough motherboard USB 2.0 headers.

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=853900 for how to attach a file/screen image to a post.

I would never use a H110i without using software to control it.

The H110i sounds to be correctly connected, post the CL 4.6.0.85 [home] tab screen shot and I will be able to tell more.

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759585 if you don't have enough motherboard USB 2.0 headers.

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=853900 for how to attach a file/screen image to a post.

Here are two screenshots.

Thank You

cosair1.thumb.jpg.9c252f47fa2f54c38cea3369e75331f3.jpg

cosair2.thumb.jpg.c07358f383d1abd4ce39df99541241ca.jpg

I will just warm the system up by playing a game for 5 -10 minutes and come back to you.

Incidentally the fans are quiet now and the case covers are all off.

If it is quite and all is good.

Then I will put the case covers back on and try it again.

BBS

Thank You

OK, where is the H110i mounted and is it inlet or exhaust? What other case fans do you have? What is the general airflow regime?

If things do start getting too warm you will need to tell us such things for us to help you.

In general it's much easier to help if you post the CL4 [Home] tab, [Configuration] rarely if ever helps.

OK, where is the H110i mounted and is it inlet or exhaust? What other case fans do you have? What is the general airflow regime?

If things do start getting too warm you will need to tell us such things for us to help you.

In general it's much easier to help if you post the CL4 [Home] tab, [Configuration] rarely if ever helps.

The case is a NZXT Noctis/Noctua 450

Noctis-450-white-blue

It has 3 fans on the front blowing air in

The cooler is in the case at the top above cpu

The cooler fans are outside the case frame but in the case housing

The cooler fans are taking the air out of the case

I had to remove rear internal case fan because the cooler would only fit in one way due the shape of the case at the top.

With regards to where the cooler is located - see above post.

And photos of the temps are here ( I think)

I cannot see cpu temp on the cupid-app

Sorry for the delays in replying.

cosair4.thumb.jpg.38ec08a824655a52ab1ef9b9452358c3.jpg

cpuid1.jpg.245c51d141ac7cf89c1843b4be2caac4.jpg

Trixxi.thumb.jpg.9455bffa565da30e8d2c438572823231.jpg

cosair3.thumb.jpg.4ed2a97939405de27f9e967bfd7fd195.jpg

I cannot see cpu temp on the cupid-app.

CPUZ does not report CPU temp and neither does CL 4.6.0.86 as Corsair messed up.

It would be good if you posted the SIV [status] panel as that should have all the temperatures, just run SIV64X.exe and press the [status] button to get it.

BTW .PNG gives sharper images than .JPG for screen shots.

CPUZ does not report CPU temp and neither does CL 4.6.0.86 as Corsair messed up.

It would be good if you posted the SIV [status] panel as that should have all the temperatures, just run SIV64X.exe and press the [status] button to get it.

BTW .PNG gives sharper images than .JPG for screen shots.

Below is the screen grab of SIV

I have been playing the game in-between posts on here and it looks like the fans are quiet now.

I wouldn't mind if they were a touch quieter but i'm not sure because its acceptable right now. A little quieter would put it on par with my older system which has a ThermalTake Water 3.0 and is a little quieter all round in game and out.

SIV.thumb.png.8e749caec7158028c8cd9841401e8ba7.png

Your coolant temperature (H110i Temp) is quite good in those screen shots. That is about as low as you can get. That is also why the fan speed is puzzling. It should be much lower at that coolant temperature, even on the default curves.

Can you post a screen shot of the fan configuration/curve?

Could you please direct me to the fan curve setting area?

All I see are like sensor readings/outputs?

Thank You

EDIT

====

I just discovered I can drag the boxes on the left onto the graphic of the case.

But I have not discovered the fan curve bit yet.

I was unable to add the case fans to the pic and the boxes on the left, I do not know where to drag them to as I think nothing is plugged into those headers (aside from the wire on CPU_Fan header)

cosair5.thumb.jpg.231febb3d3cb8bdb6b19a005f63fc298.jpg

On the CL4 [Home] tab click on the H110i Fan #1

Thank You.

When I clicked on the #1 Fan Icon a window popped up with 2 tabs on it but I could not see fan curve anywhere.

Incidentally I have not changed any settings,

They are the same as default whatever default is/was.

Thank You

PS

I think one of the items from the left column on the HOME panel

has disappeared and now it is in the second column

Corsair6.thumb.jpg.640284f7c28fbeb2cd0882262cb7780d.jpg

Corsair7.jpg.3c2830193d84b645993adc26a4cb4d07.jpg

Corsair8.jpg.525a9d64e802247a48076e13fd8fcef0.jpg

Corsair9.thumb.jpg.22abe1dc32f362c42af19f480ab80d1e.jpg

OK, I think we've found the problem. In Corsair 7 below, you have linked the fan speed to the motherboard temp sensor (#1) -- whatever that is. That variable may work for fan control, but the included curves were designed for coolant temperature (H110i Group). If you change that setting back to H110i Group, it will return to coolant based fan speeds and settle down.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28826&d=1493683153

You can use other variables to control the fan speed, but I would recommend you start with H110i Temp. The purpose of the fans is to help remove heat from the water stream and the fan speed only affects coolant temperature. That is a slow to change, small range variable. Be aware it will change with room temperature. If it gets rather warm, say 30C, you will likely come close to the top of the fan curve and the 40C=100% fan maximum. There is no reason to blast the fans this way, if the temp increase is caused by room temperature. In those circumstances you would want to make your own custom curve. For now with rather low coolant temps, you can put the fans on quiet mode linked to H110i Temp and forget about them.

OK, I think we've found the problem. In Corsair 7 below, you have linked the fan speed to the motherboard temp sensor (#1) -- whatever that is. That variable may work for fan control, but the included curves were designed for coolant temperature (H110i Group). If you change that setting back to H110i Group, it will return to coolant based fan speeds and settle down.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28826&d=1493683153

You can use other variables to control the fan speed, but I would recommend you start with H110i Temp. The purpose of the fans is to help remove heat from the water stream and the fan speed only affects coolant temperature. That is a slow to change, small range variable. Be aware it will change with room temperature. If it gets rather warm, say 30C, you will likely come close to the top of the fan curve and the 40C=100% fan maximum. There is no reason to blast the fans this way, if the temp increase is caused by room temperature. In those circumstances you would want to make your own custom curve. For now with rather low coolant temps, you can put the fans on quiet mode linked to H110i Temp and forget about them.

Change the Group from MB Temp #1 to H110i Temp. Do the same for H110i Fan #2.

To set a Custom Curve change the Mode to Custom

Thank You

That's a very good start...

Straight away I can see the fans have slowed down,

And even the sound has changed a little...

My System is on top of the desk and the monitor next to it.

So maybe that would also explain why it sounded loud the other day.

I think also the profile may have been on "Balanced" and now it is on "Quiet"

I've attached a screen grab of the change to the fan speed

UPDATE

======

After around 20 minutes or half hour of gaming the sound did not go up so I think the problem is resolved.

Thank you VERY MUCH to both of you red-ray & c-attack

Corsair11.jpg.070ee19f9dfe0a6d39154e1e626b52ce.jpg

Now that you understand where the curve control is located, you can also make a curve that fits your needs. The Quiet profile should work very well for you right now, but when seasons change, things often need a little tweaking. You don't need very much fan speed with a H110i. You should be able to keep them under 900 rpm for anything but long duration, high CPU usage programs, rendering, etc.

Now that you understand where the curve control is located, you can also make a curve that fits your needs. The Quiet profile should work very well for you right now, but when seasons change, things often need a little tweaking. You don't need very much fan speed with a H110i. You should be able to keep them under 900 rpm for anything but long duration, high CPU usage programs, rendering, etc.

I never did find the fan curve.

I think I need to create a new profile and then I can see it?

I googled for it too (yesterday)

but could not find a "de-facto" method or instructions on how to get to it...

Thank You

Archived