Corsair Community

This is a strange one..!?

Wicz

My K65 RGB was plugged into 2 x USB 2 ports and everything seemed fine. When I turned the PC off for the night, the keyboard powered off and stayed off.

Now it is connected to a single USB 3 port ( same motherboard ) and when I power the PC off, the keyboard powers off too. However, several seconds later the keyboard powers on again and cycles through 3 or 4 different lighting modes repeatedly at max brightness.

If I press a key while this is happening, it powers off, only to power on a few seconds later and continue cycling.

What is going on? Is it faulty?

Some motherboards leave USB power on when the PC is off to enable you to charge a phone, etc. You can try a different USB 3 port to see if only one has the charge feature. Or look for the charge feature in the BIOS and disable it.

Worst case, you can go back to using USB 2 for the keyboard. That's what I did, since I ran into too many random problems when using USB 3. It just seems to work better with USB 2.

Some motherboards leave USB power on when the PC is off to enable you to charge a phone, etc. You can try a different USB 3 port to see if only one has the charge feature. Or look for the charge feature in the BIOS and disable it.

Worst case, you can go back to using USB 2 for the keyboard. That's what I did, since I ran into too many random problems when using USB 3. It just seems to work better with USB 2.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. Sadly there is nothing I can see in the bios that refers to USB power for charging phones e.t.c and I no longer have any spare USB 2 ports. I have tried swapping over some hardware into different USB 3 ports, but the keyboard is still behaving in the same way.

I only have a single USB 3 port available.

If you set Erp to Enabled it should turn off all USB charging features :(

I'd contact ASUS to see if they can help you out. The issue here is the power being supplied over USB while the PC is off.

I see there are three options under ErP: [Disabled], [Enabled (S4+S5)], and [Enabled]. I would try using the [Enabled] function one last time... maybe the setting wasn't saved properly... That is my best guess mate :(

Yeah I've fired an email off to Asus. I've tried all the available ERP settings (multiple times) and none have changed the keyboards' behaviour.

Fyi, I have two older backlit keyboards, they all switch off and stay off when the PC is powered off.

If Asus can't find a Fix I can see an RMA in my future, because the current situation is ridiculous.

Thanks for trying to help though, it's very much appreciated!

Archived