Corsair Community

SF600 fan won't stop at all

Hi all,

I have one annoying issue with my new SF600.

The advertised non spinning fan is simply ... always spinning.

When I boot my PC it stays still up until Windows load. Once loaded it start spinning and never stops. Seems to be spinning at very low speed as I don't hear it but yet - spinning.

My idle usage is <70w measured at the outlet. Any idea what to do?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
Hi all,

I have one annoying issue with my new SF600.

The advertised non spinning fan is simply ... always spinning.

When I boot my PC it stays still up until Windows load. Once loaded it start spinning and never stops. Seems to be spinning at very low speed as I don't hear it but yet - spinning.

My idle usage is <70w measured at the outlet. Any idea what to do?

Thanks!

SF600 Gold or Platinum.

Please list all of your parts including any RGB lighting strips, case fans, etc. Also, what case you are using and how that PSU is mounted in that case.

It is SF600 Gold.

Parts:

MB: MSI B550i Gaming Edge Wifi (ITX)

CPU: Ryzen 3600 (capped at 65W at the moment)

GPU: Sapphire RX570 4GB ITX

RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill with RGB

2x Fans: CM Jetflo 120mm PWM Red LED

Case: Sliger SM550

PSU is mounted so it take air through the side panel.

Fans are bottom mounted, exhausting air. As I said, CPU is capped at 65W due to MSI early bios vcore issues

Pictures:

20200713_184117.thumb.jpg.cc5fe452757466982250d404d0dd289c.jpg

• Corsair Employee
It is SF600 Gold.

Parts:

MB: MSI B550i Gaming Edge Wifi (ITX)

CPU: Ryzen 3600 (capped at 65W at the moment)

GPU: Sapphire RX570 4GB ITX

RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill with RGB

2x Fans: CM Jetflo 120mm PWM Red LED

Case: Sliger SM550

PSU is mounted so it take air through the side panel.

Fans are bottom mounted, exhausting air. As I said, CPU is capped at 65W due to MSI early bios vcore issues

If you disable the RGB on the memory, does the fan eventually stop?

Unfortunately not - 45 minutes later, still spinning.

I forgot to mention 2x SSDs (250&500) and one M2 500GB.

I can clearly see that the fan tries to stop (the logo in the center looks like slowing down) but then it accelerates again.

• Corsair Employee
Unfortunately not - 45 minutes later, still spinning.

I forgot to mention 2x SSDs (250&500) and one M2 500GB.

I can clearly see that the fan tries to stop (the logo in the center looks like slowing down) but then it accelerates again.

Strange.

The only time I've seen this behavior, where the fan spins even though power usage is low, is when the +3.33V and +5V load is unusually high. For example: RGB lighting strips, RGB lighting on RAM, etc. This is because there's no heatsink on the DC to DC MOSFETs for the +3.3V and +5V so they rely on active cooling from the fan to keep cool. But from the looks of your specs, other than the RGB on the RAM, there shouldn't be any unusual +5V or +3.3V load.

What about LED on the power button?

Can any I/O be causing this? And what about the LED on the fans?

Or the fans themselves - I've set them to ~35%, do they draw from either of 3 or 5 in this case?

Ambient temp is 26-27, probably also affects it or?

Edited by Tuscany

• Corsair Employee
What about LED on the power button?

Can any I/O be causing this? And what about the LED on the fans?

Or the fans themselves - I've set them to ~35%, do they draw from either of 3 or 5 in this case?

Ambient temp is 26-27, probably also affects it or?

LED on the power button is minimal.

The fans use +12V.

There could be I/O causing this. USB does use the +5V. Do you have anything plugged into the USB that uses a lot of power? Like an audio interface?

I have Razer mouse (obviously RGB :D) and full-sized Fnatic keyboard with LEDs.

I disabled the LEDs (alongside the disabled RAM RGB) but still no-go the fan won't stop.

The only other thing is one usb hub but no device is plugged into it.

Granted, when I booted up my PC it took it 5-6 minutes to start spinning but I wasn't doing anything at all on the PC.

• Corsair Employee

Well, if it's not total load and not +3.3V or +5V load, it must think it's too hot.

When you say the ambient temperature is 26 or 27°C. But that's measured from wear? Do you have anything blocking the exhaust grill of the PSU so the heat can't escape?

I have simple room thermometer - this is the temp next to the case.

Nothing is blocking the case grill nor the PSU one. Well, one cable is doing a bend there, but if this is the small rock turning the car, that would be interesting.

What more is that I even use full custom cables, so I don't have wires all over the case blocking the airflow.

• Corsair Employee

I don't know what to tell you.

The fan is controlled by load or temp. If one is higher than the other, the fan turns on.

We know load is low. We know the fan controller is working because the fan doesn't start until 5-6 minutes after you turn it on.

So something is either getting too hot or there's some weird +3.3V or +5V load we don't know about.

Temperature test is easy. You have to run the PSU outside of the case to see if the PSU acts the same (where the PSU is getting nothing but fresh air and nothing is preventing it from exhausting the hot air).

Beyond this, I've got nothing. :(

• 6 months later...
Strange.

The only time I've seen this behavior, where the fan spins even though power usage is low, is when the +3.33V and +5V load is unusually high. For example: RGB lighting strips, RGB lighting on RAM, etc. This is because there's no heatsink on the DC to DC MOSFETs for the +3.3V and +5V so they rely on active cooling from the fan to keep cool. But from the looks of your specs, other than the RGB on the RAM, there shouldn't be any unusual +5V or +3.3V load.

Is there any solution to resolve this other than getting rid of the RGB? I have RGB fans connected to a controller that gets SATA power and seems to be causing the fan to spin when connected, even with the RGB on the fans themselves turned off.

The Corsair Commander unit has 4 temperature sensors in the box that can be dangled here and there in a rig. It also has a bunch of fan controllers too if needed.

I use one and it has been handy for leveraging vast numbers of RGB hardware.

Edited by Vegan