Corsair Community

DOMINATOR PLATINUM (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 on ROG RAMPAGE V ED. 10?

residualecho

I have an old X99 I built with Corsair case, AX1200i PSU, i7 6850K, Corsair AIO cooler, Samsung M.2 SSD, Asus ROG RAMPAGE V Edition 10, Asus ROG Strix 1080GTX, Corsair Dominator 4X4GB DDR4 RAM.

The RAM I'm looking at, CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory - CMD64GX4M4C3200C16 -- is not on the tested list from Asus. The system has been running Autodesk and Adobe graphics and VR since 2016, and we're starting to edit 4K video. System is stable at 3.6.

Is populating the same 4 of 8 slots going from DDR3 to DDR4, from 16 to 64Gb, a challenge apart from the usual mucking about in the bios? Is the RGB version right out because it's designed for X299 and later processors?

Looking to reduce risk for a solid upgrade, thanks for any advice.

Edited by residualecho

You won't find much on the QVL since it will all be 2014-15 era products. They typically don't test past several months after launch. I think most quad channels kits will work, however there are a couple of hurdles -- RGB on X99 and 16GB modules.

This came up a few months back and we had a similar discussion. It seemed to work out OK, but you might also either reach out through a PM or post on the back of that and ask.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=190235&highlight=X99

Thanks for the quick response and link, I've got to improve my search skills. It looks like even the RGB might work, but I've lived without it this long. The goal isn't to run at stock speed of course, but it's the ram amount that's the current bottleneck and speed would be nice.

I think the same advice applies here — buy from someplace you know you can return without massive penalty. Every time I see an 8x8 kit my jaw hits the floor in shock. 4x16 seems both more common and reasonably priced. I think I would like my Dominator RGB even more spread out over a dual bank set up. They are bright and it sometimes feels like too much squeezed into the standard 4x8 right side bank.

• 1 month later...

New Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz C16 runs fine on my X99 Asus ROG Rampage V edition 10 MB. With a mild overclock at 4.0, I may only be running at stock XMP of 2100, since I have not set the voltage on the new RAM at 1.35; it's stable at 1.2, so soon I'll attack the BIOS more rigorously.

The RGB rainbow cycles by default. Even after the latest iCue and Aura plugins from 2020 CES, the RAM does not show up in iCue. The only time it did, I had to enable software control in the BIOS, when all the RGB settings showed up until reboot; it appears I was expected to control *all* of the RAM settings in iCue rather than BIOS, where all my settings had vanished. Am I experiencing PEBKAC? Should I not be able to control RGB alone in iCue without having to control all RAM timings in an app instead of the BIOS? Perhaps I should be happy with the pleasing, but rather bright, pattern and be grateful my X99 can do anything with such a new upgrade.

Edited by residualecho

You cannot control DRAM timing through iCUE. The timings are informational only.

Which Aura plugin? The new topic is Asus motherboard LED control and that has nothing to do with your RAM. There is another Aura RAM plugin from the Corsair download page from 6 months back you should not be using, unless your intent is to use Aura to control it. That doesn't make a lot of sense in this situation so I doubt that was the plan.

RAM settings vanished in the BIOS? Can't happen. They are there. On X99, make sure you enable SPD-Write. I would like to be able to tell you exactly where that setting is in the BIOS, but it has slipped away since I used X99. I believe it is in the DRAM timing settings in the Extreme Tweaker menu. Surely this is out there somewhere since all X99 users must do this.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036378/

Once iCUE is permitted to access the RAM through the BUS, it should be detected and then you can change the lighting to something more appropriate.

Thank you c-attack

I've been looking all over Corsair's faqs, because the forum and their Discord chats are so incredibly helpful. Should've been poring over Asus's faqs, but of course I get my answer from team Corsair.

That toggle in the BIOS was all it took. Finally, the Dominator RGB really ties the case together.

I've been pestering everybody since Xmas trying to get my Dominator RGB RAM to show up in my Asus X99 mb. Everybody on here and on the Discord chat is so helpful, while the Asus Discord has a few too many l33t speakers insulting each other; I didn't look very hard there for answers. Naturally, it took a Corsair forum member to point me to the single toggle in the Asus BIOS (enable DRAM SPD Write under DRAM Timing Control) and I finally got all the control that's currently possible in iCue on such a legacy MB. This mode is 14 year old daughter approved:

[ame]

[/ame]

I have to say, I really like the RGB RAM on the quad channel, dual bank board. I avoided it like the plague when I was on X99 for all the reasons you just experienced. However, the great irony is now I keep wanting a HEDT board back so I can do that with it. Enjoy.