Corsair Community

Commander Mini bricked by Link?

snapper69

I have just installed my new Commander Mini, when I booted my computer up, Link started and popped up a box to say that the Commander Mini needed a Firmware update. Having been lulled into a false sense of security with Link working perfectly with my H110i GT, I clicked Ok and it started the update, but right at the end I got an error message saying that the update had failed and the fans all went into overdrive. Now neither Windows nor Link detect it, although the LED is green. Has Link bricked it the same way that it did with my H100i?

I'm using 3.1.5525 on Vista and Windows 7 (Dual Boot). I've tried powering down and booting into both Op systems and also disconnected the power and USB leads, reboot, switch off, reconnect and reboot. Nothing. I don't really want to uninstall Link as my H110i GT is working great. SIV doesn't recognise either the Commander Mini or the fans.

Why is Link so good at telling you that you need a Firmware update and then completely ******* things up when you are stupid enough to say OK? It did the same to the 3 H100i's that I had before I realised what was happening.

What can I say, I'm getting old and things don't always sink in as fast as they used to. Apparently my memory isn't so good neither.

1st H100i, hadn't a clue what had happened

2nd H100i, not really sure what had happened

3rd H100i, realised what had happened

H110i GT worked perfectly out of the box with V3 of link.

Commander Mini, lulled into a false sense of security, so I stupidly said OK to update. Won't make that mistake again.

Looking into my crystal ball, I can see some letters forming, yes, I can see an R and there's an N, no, an M and an A.

I'm using 3.1.5525 on Vista and Windows 7 (Dual Boot). I've tried powering down and booting into both Op systems and also disconnected the power and USB leads, reboot, switch off, reconnect and reboot. Nothing. I don't really want to uninstall Link as my H110i GT is working great. SIV doesn't recognise either the Commander Mini or the fans.

Why is Link so good at telling you that you need a Firmware update and then completely ******* things up when you are stupid enough to say OK? It did the same to the 3 H100i's that I had before I realised what was happening.

Thank for the version info and good luck with an RMA. What does SIV report on the [uSB Bus] panel? I am wondering if there will be an unknown device with an ID of 0000:0000 which is the bricked CLCC. A screen shot would be good. SIV should report your H110iGT, does it?

I updated the firmware using a CL 2.7 and Windows 7 with no issues, though it did brick my H80 and I had to RMA it. I was told how to recover the H80 firmware, but it did not work. When I got a working H80 (V1 protocol) I was feeling brave and did manage to update the firmware, but this time I connected it via an old Commander (V1 protocol) rather than a CL Mini (V2 protocol) so I suspect there is a bug in CL when using the V2 protocol to update a V1 protocol device.

I would ask if it's possible to recover the CLCC firmware and would be interested to know what Corsair say.

SIV recognises my H110i GT on the Link Staus tab but on the Link Devices tab I get the message "No Corsair Link Devices found on this system. Error 259 No more data is available."

Thank you for the screen shot. I converted it to .PNG as .TIF does not work too well on this site.

I am wondering if the Cypress Semiconductor Product: 0665:6000 is the bricked CLCC. What does [Port 0.1.5.1] report? If you unplug the CLCC and press [uSB Bus] has it gone away? If it is it should be possible to recover the CLCC.

I just tried SIV 4.51 here and it does report my H110iGT on [Link Devices]. Does SIV 5.00 do any better? If so I suspect you have a lot of HID ghost devices that you may wish to delete. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315539 it says XP, but W7/W8/W10 are the same.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21766&stc=1&d=1431853884

1882315483_SIVUSB_Bus.thumb.png.5e64d8716691a59d6a2de5a246521c36.png

Just checked again and the Cypress device is my Gigabyte keyboard. I might send a request for help to Tech Support or I may just RMA it. Oh well, at least they have a UK address to send things back. I looked at the form last night and it didn't give me the option of express return, shame rerally as I wanted to do a bit on my computer over the bank holiday. Mind you if I can talk my wife into letting me buy a Thermaltake Level 10 GT, I won't be able to use the H110i GT and possibly not the Commander Mini.

I've put in an RMA, sadly I wasn't offered the option for an express RMA, so it looks lik I might have to rewire my fans, AGAIN.

Anyone can get a advanced rma but its best to tell them you want this,you can call and get it changed...

Spose that means that I'll have to learn to use Skype?

You don't have to, you just you your phone and dial (00/+) 18882224346 then choose ext 702, Skype has the advantage of being zero cost though. My contact profile is:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21770&stc=1&d=1432028694

554762558_CorsairSupport.png.626b1b42f22664850fee2ee91ffd586e.png

Ok, thanks for that, have to dig my microphone out and ring them this evening, they're 8 hours behind me (UK). They haven't actually agreed my RMA yet, just gave me a couple of things to try (different USB headers etc), but I guess it's best to get my request in first. Who knows, I may even get it for the weekend. I wish that I could have bought it from Amazon.

OK, I might give it a go. I might boot into Windows 7, ignore Link asking to update and update once everything is up and running. I previously booted into Vista and updated when Link suggested. Could that be the problem?

I successfully updated 3 x CLCC firmware on W7 x64.

It worked. I booted into W7, ignored Link asking to update it, made sure that everything was working ok and selected update from Link. Previously I had tried the updates from Vista. At the moment all the fans are set to default and it is whisper quiet, but the temps have gone up a few degrees, but nothing major. Thanks to everyone for their help and thanks to Corsair for their service. All I need now is to get rid of all the duplicates down the left side and I'll be golden.

All I need now is to get rid of all the duplicates down the left side and I'll be golden.

I am happy to hear it worked and I suspect Vista + CL is not the most reliable combination.

Almost every time I start CL I get new duplicates. I feel there must be a design flaw with the regime CL uses to identify a device. SIV uses Windows PnP IDs and never get's duplicates.

I booted into Windows 7 last night (Witcher 3 won't run on Vista) and when I booted back into Vista this morning the fans went from a silent 500 ish rpm on default up to 1200 rpm. Changing them to quiet brought them down to about 900 rpm. Looks like I'm going to have to learn to make a custom curve. On the plus side, I deleted all my duplicate fans etc and they haven't come back. Yet.

Archived