Corsair Community

Corsairs Obsidian 500D SE Setup Advice and Diagrams

Zotty

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man. if using the stock ML fans supplied with the H150i then you would only need the one RGB Fan LED hub...that diagram is allowing for rgb fans on both sides of the rad....

Thanks Zotty, I'm thinking of both sides though for push/pull. Just making sure I use the right diagram and right fans.

Thanks Zotty, I'm thinking of both sides though for push/pull. Just making sure I use the right diagram and right fans.

I'd recommend putting the rad in the top as exhaust. I had a 500SE for a while, got rid of it because of lousy cooling. For a time I had the 360 in front using a push/pull setup, but the front is quite restrictive, the slots on the sides do not let much air in, and with a radiator it just exacerbates the problem. The CPU did stay cool, but everything else got hotter due to a lack of airflow. moving the rad to the top, even with only a push fan arrangement worked much better. Effect on the CPU was negligible but the GPU dropped over 15°C at load.

I dumped the case entirely for a Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL. Just as nice looking, in my opinion, but vastly superior cooling. And cable routing is significantly better as well.

I'd recommend putting the rad in the top as exhaust. I had a 500SE for a while, got rid of it because of lousy cooling. For a time I had the 360 in front using a push/pull setup, but the front is quite restrictive, the slots on the sides do not let much air in, and with a radiator it just exacerbates the problem. The CPU did stay cool, but everything else got hotter due to a lack of airflow. moving the rad to the top, even with only a push fan arrangement worked much better. Effect on the CPU was negligible but the GPU dropped over 15°C at load.

I dumped the case entirely for a Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL. Just as nice looking, in my opinion, but vastly superior cooling. And cable routing is significantly better as well.

I've had two Lian Li cases, and I really like them, top quality and finish. Thanks for the suggestion, the XL looks good. I'm not sure if the width of the case will fit my space configuration.

I've had two Lian Li cases, and I really like them, top quality and finish. Thanks for the suggestion, the XL looks good. I'm not sure if the width of the case will fit my space configuration.

There's a regular width version as well. I wanted the wide one cuz I really suck at, and hate, cable management. The hot swap drive cages were a bonus that I wanted as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi!

I have just bought a Corsair Obsidian 500D SE. It comes with 3 LL fans on the front and I have added one more as exhaust in the back.

I have water cooling H115i RGB Platinum mounted at the top.

I'm using this diagram:

ICBYkWk.png

Being 1, 2 and 3 in the hub my front fans from top to bottom and 4 in the hub the rear fan.

I'm trying to setup iCue/Commander PRO so after ligthing 1, 2 and 3 fans it lights the H115i and at the last the 4 fan.

But it lights 1, 2, 3, 4 and at last H115i RGB. As the H115i RGB is in the middle of the box, it would be nicer to light it between the last front fan and the rear one.

Is it possible?

I am thinking of running the same setup as Isthar (without the RGB LED Strips) and i would like to have some confirmations before actually making my purchase. This setup is especially confusing for me since H115i comes with 2 ML140s while the Obsidian 500D SE comes with 3 LL120s.

RGB setup is so confusing!

1. The first and most important question, is the wiring mentioned by Isthar correct? Will i be able to control the RGB for all my fans?

2. I was under the impression that all RGB fans will need to be routed through a RGB Fan Led Hub but it seems that the LED control from the H115i is connected directly to the commander pro's USB hub. This is all that is needed?

3. Just one wire for both the Fan control and the RGB control?

4. Do i need to purchase another RGB Fan Led Hub since H115i RGB does not come with one?

New member, first build.

- I have the 500D RGB SE with a 'fan down' 1000W EVGA PSU. Put a 120LL RGB exhaust in the rear.

- Purchased the H115i which comes with 2x ML140's. Purchased 2x LL140 RGB fans hoping to replace the ML's with the LL's and get the lighting to sync in sequence rolling from front, across top, to rear exhaust.

Questions are:

1. Will this work and, if so, how do I connect the LL140's so that RGB control sequences correctly without losing CPU fan speed control for temps?

2. Was planning on testing the LL modded H115i on both top and front by swapping out fan assembly. In front, either the 3xLL120's with no rad or the 2xLL140's with 280mm rad would of course be intake. On top, I was planning on exhaust. System will be enclosed in my lower desk on two sides (side clearance about 2" each side) and top (clearance only about 2" on top) with the rear open and a door in front that I leave open but can close when system is idling. Any suggestions to maximize cooling in this situation?

3. Anyone have any good ideas as to what to do with the two ML-140's? :) Was considering simply powering one to put at the top rear of my computer desk enclosure to facilitate heat exhaust from the 2-sided and top desk enclosure. Or maybe mounting one on opposite side (outside) of the rear LL120 exhaust (vs. in the case) as push-pull without lighting? Want to balance pressure between the PSU fan intake and system fans.

4. My 2 x LL140 fans will come with the lighting node. Will I want or need to use this?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mike

Edited by mdemita

hi bud...

1.. h115i in the top of the 500d may be an issue.. its very motherboard/ram dependent. might find you will be fitting it in the front. as for syncing the fans RGB. run them all off of the RGB Fan LED Hub that is supplied with the 500D SE....

2.. so many variables.. room temp etc.. it might be fine with low fan speeds.. it might not.. it's something you will find and combat along the way.

3.. could put the extra fans on the other side of the radiator so you have a push/pull configuration?.

4.. you dont need the Lighting Node Pro right now.. but you may want it in the future... keep it and its cables etc.. this RGBz stuff is addictive.. you will want MOAR :D

Thanks Zotty! FYI MOBO is ROG Strix X299-E Gaming II and it looks like H115i will fit on top.

Regarding your response to 1 above; Does that mean I can connect the H115i fans to the LED hub instead of to the pump? Each fan has two connections (one labeled RGB hub and one unlabeled - thicker 4 pin) and the pump has connections for both. Which one would I connect to the Commander/fan hub that came with the D500? Wouldn't I lose the ability to have the pump regulate fan speed this way?

Re: 2, assuming it is a cramped environment that might get hot, would you think top intake or exhaust?

Re: 3 Good idea! Hate the thought of those ML LED's messing with a well synched light show from the LL's though. :(

Re: 4, I will and it is!

New Q: Re: the H115i pump cabling, does anyone have a clue where on an ASUS Mobo the 1 pin connector that splits off the SATA connection would go? Manual says it goes to the CPU fan header, but there is no such animal on my Mobo.

Finally; obviously, my mobo doesn't have enough USB on board connections (only has 2 but each seems to be 2in1). I just ordered both of these and if anyone has any experience with one or the other, let me know!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IFGFTJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q8685Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best and thanks again!

1. hi bud.. run the h115i's fans off of the cooler for power (make them spin) and their RGB run from the RGB Fan LED hub,,, this allows fans to sync correctly with the other fans for RGB but also allows your cooling system to operate correctly regardless of OS/other software/hardware.

2. prob exhaust buddy..will make liquid a little warmer but will help get rid of case heat also.

new Q.. it needs to go to a fan header.... its for reporting RPM to the motherboard so it doesnt throw fan failure alarms on boot....

as for usb.. you know your Commander Pro has 2 usb headers right?

hi bud...

1.. h115i in the top of the 500d may be an issue.. its very motherboard/ram dependent. might find you will be fitting it in the front. as for syncing the fans RGB. run them all off of the RGB Fan LED Hub that is supplied with the 500D SE....

2.. so many variables.. room temp etc.. it might be fine with low fan speeds.. it might not.. it's something you will find and combat along the way.

3.. could put the extra fans on the other side of the radiator so you have a push/pull configuration?.

4.. you dont need the Lighting Node Pro right now.. but you may want it in the future... keep it and its cables etc.. this RGBz stuff is addictive.. you will want MOAR :D

I'm worried about your comment on H115i not fitting at the top of 500d case.

I am going to be using gigabyte auros elite and g.skill tridentz neo. Do you know if I will be able to fit my h115i (pull config) on top of my casing?

Thanks Zotty! Exactly what I had hoped and no I didn't realize there were two USB headers on the Commander Pro because the connector size looked larger. Damn. More stuff to return :) Only reason I stick with Amazon.

Still can't figure out where there are fan headers on the mobo that will fit that single pin pump connector (3 hole, 1 pin). Attached a couple of images from Asus mobo manual. Looks like their headers are 4 pin.

Sorry for being such a newb, but this is my first build and I went all out I guess in terms of equipment!

1.thumb.JPG.b6d8467e861cdc472d8a4abbc9ebf5b3.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.fc1eb8b11d51854cb3ed1b8bbdeb1924.JPG

Fan power and lighting power are two separate cables on the Corsair RGB series fans (and most others). It does not matter where the fan motor gets its power, cooler controller, motherboard, or other. The lighting is handled by the RGB Lighting Hub that comes with the multi-packs and there should be on already in the 500D. That device determines lighting order with a simple 1-6 system. Always start at 1 -- no skipping slots.

As for front intake vs top exhaust for the radiator, the difference is typically 2-3C which is almost entirely from the difference in case temperature between the front and top sections of the case. See the thread below for a similar question.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=192936

Any kind of cabinet or enclosure complicates the environment. It's going to retain some measure of heat. If the front of the cabinet is open, it is highly likely you will get much better results from front mounting. If the top of the enclosure is solid, that is definitely a thermally warm zone where heat will collect and that will transfer to any top mounted radiator as well.

Thanks c-attack! My processor doesn't get here until the 20th so I'm itching to find out how this will work.

I have it pre-setup now with the 3 stock LL-120's in the front (pushing through the rad as intake), the h115i rad behind the LL's and then the two ML-140's pulling behind the rad into the case. I'm just not sure how to hook up the two ML-140's. I assume I can get power from one of the CHA headers on the mobo but not sure how I would light them (or if I want to!) I don't care if they are addressable with the iCUE software but might want them just lit.

On top, I have the two LL-140's as exhaust and an LL-120 in the rear as exhaust.

Any thoughts on connecting the two ML's would be appreciated!

4 channel LED STRIP + 3 RGB FAN

need Commander pro + rgb hub?

Yes mate... fans into RGB Hub which goes to an LED channel on the Commander Pro and Strips direct to an LED channel on the Commander Pro..

ignore 3 of the fans

http://i.imgur.com/XSDWsnel.png

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Edited by Zotty

Hello Everyone,

Just recently received the parts for my very first custom build and I am super excited.

I decided to go with the 500D SE case as i love the looks of it. I do have couple of questions as far as the ideal airflow set up. My fan set up will be the following. The 3 fans that came with the case on the front, 120LL fan in the back and an H115i Platinum cooler at the top.

What is the best way to set up the fans attached to the H115i at the top of the case. As an exhaust or intake?

The case would be sitting on my desk in a fully open air environment otherwise.

Also was wondering is it really worth replacing the fans on the Cooler from MLs to LLs to match the front fans and the rear? or will the 2 different fans still sync as far as color patterns, minus the outer ring that ML fans do not have.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last thing i believe this would be the correct diagram for me, minus the light strips correct?

https://imgur.com/0OqxVxA

Edited by Dmatrix

• 2 weeks later...

Hey so I'm new at the whole PC building thing and love the way corsair has everything integrated together and I'v seen a few post about peoples RGB fan layouts with lighting node pros and commander pros, I'm looking at getting the QL120 fans in one of the Obsidian 500D SE cases with the included Commander pro and Lighting node core but i'm not entirely sure if it'll all work together. if anyone could tell me if this will work or if there is a better way to do this would be greatly appreciated

sorry for the bad lines

https://imgur.com/5HISEWR

Hey so I'm new at the whole PC building thing and love the way corsair has everything integrated together and I'v seen a few post about peoples RGB fan layouts with lighting node pros and commander pros, I'm looking at getting the QL120 fans in one of the Obsidian 500D SE cases with the included Commander pro and Lighting node core but i'm not entirely sure if it'll all work together. if anyone could tell me if this will work or if there is a better way to do this would be greatly appreciated

sorry for the bad lines

https://imgur.com/5HISEWR

Hi

works as you show

Hello Everyone,

Just recently received the parts for my very first custom build and I am super excited.

I decided to go with the 500D SE case as i love the looks of it. I do have couple of questions as far as the ideal airflow set up. My fan set up will be the following. The 3 fans that came with the case on the front, 120LL fan in the back and an H115i Platinum cooler at the top.

What is the best way to set up the fans attached to the H115i at the top of the case. As an exhaust or intake?

The case would be sitting on my desk in a fully open air environment otherwise.

Also was wondering is it really worth replacing the fans on the Cooler from MLs to LLs to match the front fans and the rear? or will the 2 different fans still sync as far as color patterns, minus the outer ring that ML fans do not have.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last thing i believe this would be the correct diagram for me, minus the light strips correct?

https://imgur.com/0OqxVxA

only just saw this..

1. some do exhaust.. some do intake.. my self.. intake all the way rather than recycle the case heat through your rad...... your call though buddy.. both ways have pros and cons

2, yes that diagram would be a good guide for your build