Corsair Community

Corsair One i160 Recommended Monitor?

JamesMorrissey

Please excuse my noobery because I am new to this type of stuff, I believe I want to buy the Corsaire One i160 Prebuilt PC and I am just wondering what the best monitor for this PC would be? Which monitor would run games the smoothest? Thank you for your help! :biggrin:

Please excuse my noobery because I am new to this type of stuff, I believe I want to buy the Corsaire One i160 Prebuilt PC and I am just wondering what the best monitor for this PC would be? Which monitor would run games the smoothest? Thank you for your help! :biggrin:

The simplest answer is it depends.

What type of games? Do you want maximum frame rates? Or ultimate graphics settings? Or both?

Do you also plan to use the computer for other things besides gaming? How important is screen size? For example, do you want the space to have multiple documents open at the same time, side by side?

Here's my mental checklist:

First, decide whether its a gaming machine only or also a work computer. If the latter, think about whether you would benefit from a larger screen size -- like an ultra-wide 21:9 monitor (2560x1440 or 3440x1440 resolution). Having multiple documents open side by side can be big plus for work. But you will have to give up either FPS or some graphics bells and whistles at that high resolution.

If gaming only, then you probably should consider a 1080p monitor (1920x1080) with a high refresh rate (144Hz). The i160 should hit 144 FPS at ultra graphic settings in most games at a 1080p resolution. It should easily handle anything you're likely to throw at it for a long time to come.

You could consider a 4K (3840x2160) monitor, if you want the highest possible resolution. The i160 will run most games very well at that resolution, but you likely will have to sacrifice FPS or graphics (or both) in the most demanding games.

I personally have a Corsair One i160 paired with an Asus MX34VQ (3440x1440 resolution and 100Hz refresh rate), and I've found it to be a great compromise. I like the larger screen size for work, but I can still get 80-100 FPS in most games, even at ultra settings. I love the ultra-wide resolution and can't see myself ever going back to 1080p.

There are more nuances, like connection type. And you should read up on things like Nvidia's G-Sync technology. Some background research is well worth it.

Here are a couple of good background articles:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/monitor-buying-guide,5699.htmlhttps://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/monitor-buying-guide,5699.html

https://pcgamehaven.com/how-to-pick-the-best-monitor-for-gaming/

The i160 is an exceptional gaming computer, and will handle pretty much any monitor size or resolution just fine. But you should do some research and think about what end result is most important to you. Good luck.

Edited by Queeg

• Corsair Employee

Queeg is very much on point here. Do you want the highest refresh rate? Or do you value overall resolution size so you can spread things out? Or do you want a physically big monitor? These things all need to be taken in consideration (even all at the same time) in deciding your monitor.

I can say that for some of us, when it comes to gaming, refresh rates have become slightly more important than overall resolution and size.