Corsair Community

AIO and RGB Fans suggestion

Joeysiew

Hi, I’ve been reading through the forum but still have many queries.

I’m upgrading my cooling system for my H170 MB that does not support ARGB

I’m planning to get the Hydro Series™ H100i RGB PLATINUM 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler, 2 sets of the 3 pack QL120 RGB fans with lighting mode core.

I read that I need a Commander cause my MB doesn’t support a direct input. How do I actually set them up to be able to give me some room for further upgrades like Corsair LED strips. What I’m thinking is 6 QL120 to 1 lighting node core and plug that into the commander. The HyDro AIO will plug into the commander as well. I will have a spare lighting node core. What can I do with it? Can I use it to add the led strips? Or the led strips go directly to the commander. Doing so. My commander will actually only have 2 inputs, 1 from the 6QL120 and 1 from the AIO. Will I be able to control everything with this setup? Will it work? Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employee

Hello,

You wouldn't be able to do strips with the lighting node core, but the rest of your set up looks fine to me: It would be the Commander Pro connected directly to your motherboard, the 6 QL fans connected to the Commander Pro for power and to the Lighting Node Core for lighting, that LNC would be connected to the CPro.

Did I get it right?

-Art

If you intention is to use 6 QL fans for the case (including the radiator for the AIO),

there is no real need to get the Platinum. You are going to run the lighting power/control from the Lighting Node Core that comes with the multi-pack of QL. You don't need the Platinum's lighting controller and most people would prefer to have all their fans act as a group 1-6. You need them on the Core device to make that happen.

The platinum and XT are the same cooler, two differences. As mentioned above, the Platinum has a lighting controller for 2 fans (only) that you don't need and it comes with two ML-RGB fans. The XT has a black pump housing, so unless you prefer the silver bezel of the Platinum, there isn't any reason to go for it.

Of course there is a new Elite cooler as well that will come with both a lighting controller (external) that can handle 6 QL fans and wildly different pump LED set.

Thanks. I will be running 6 x QL fans and 2 more fans from the radiator to a total of 8 fans. I’m deciding on which model of the AIO cooler to purchase. The Elite version of the AIO is not readily available in my country. I’ll have to get them overseas.