Corsair Community

H110i GT Fan Splitter Question

adgjk

Hi,

I currently have a Corsair 750D with stock fans (2x front and 1x rear) and the H110i GT AIO with the 2x included fans.

I've been finding the rig quite noisy (it sits on my desk only 2ft away from me) so I recently bought 5x 140mm Noctua NF A14 PWM fans (to replace all positions listed above). I have a question about how to set them up though...

I would like if possible to run all fans off the CPU_FAN header on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3) so that all fans respond to the temperature of the CPU. Currently, the pump is plugged into the CPU header as per the H110i GT instruction manual. I have bought a PWM hub/splitter (Phobya 8x 4-pin PWM Splitter) and was thinking I could plug all 5x fans and the pump into the splitter, until I couldn't find any data on how much power the pump draws... I know that the fans will be ok, Noctua fans are very low power, but I'm worried to try running the pump too as I don't want to blow any headers on my motherboard.

Would there be any disadvantage to me running the pump on my SYS_FAN1 header? The reason I don't want the fans on here is because this header is voltage controlled, not PWM controlled...

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them too!

Thanks!

I have the same case and am using 7 of the NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 4 in push/pull then one exhausting at the top, 2 in the front and the back blowing in. I had the back as an exhaust but found that the temp at the pump was lower with positive pressure behind the h110GT, the MB and ram temps are much lower also. I'm using a commander mini for the fans it's really worth it to be able program link to control them in sync with the h110gt temp.

The H110i GT pump is powered by the sata connector, the CPU header the pump plugs into is just there to tell the PC that a pump is connected.

So would it not matter if I plugged the pump into SYS_FAN? They're only voltage controlled... Would I just set it on Auto, or would switching between High or Silent (or whatever they're called) make a difference?

Thanks!

It wouldn't really matter if you didn't plug it into anything, all it does is provide info if you want to monitor pump speed. Pump speed itself is controlled through Link, provided you plug in the USB connector. Some motherboards get unhappy if they don't think a CPU fan is installed, plug anything you want to the CPU header.

It wouldn't really matter if you didn't plug it into anything, all it does is provide info if you want to monitor pump speed. Pump speed itself is controlled through Link, provided you plug in the USB connector. Some motherboards get unhappy if they don't think a CPU fan is installed, plug anything you want to the CPU header.

I thought it was the other way around... I thought monitoring was provided by the USB and speed was changed by the header? Just like any other fan... Surely if USB is the addition (when compared to standard fans or AIO's) then it's that which provides the monitoring?

It gets confusing because many of the newer models operate differently from each other and the previous models. The 110i GT receives power from the SATA cable. The USB connection allows the motherboard to report information to LINK and for LINK to connect with the pump block's firmware. The cable you connect to CPU_FAN (or wherever) reports pump speed to your motherboard. This allows you to see the pump speed in other software applications as well as deal with the pesky CPU fan error situation, as stated above. Not all the models are set-up this way. Some receive power from the motherboard connector and do not have a SATA connection. If you are powering the fans through the pump block, you probably need all three connections for smooth operation.

It gets confusing because many of the newer models operate differently from each other and the previous models. The 110i GT receives power from the SATA cable. The USB connection allows the motherboard to report information to LINK and for LINK to connect with the pump block's firmware. The cable you connect to CPU_FAN (or wherever) reports pump speed to your motherboard. This allows you to see the pump speed in other software applications as well as deal with the pesky CPU fan error situation, as stated above. Not all the models are set-up this way. Some receive power from the motherboard connector and do no have a SATA connection. If you are powering the fans through the pump block, you probably need all three connections for smooth operation.

So, if i just plug all 5 fans into the CPU FAN header and the pump into SYS FAN it should all work ok?

Provided you don't overload the header with all those fans I can't see a problem.

Sorry for more questions... The splitter is externally powered (molex). Does this mean the motherboard will still be providing power? Does it act the same way as a powered USB hub would, where the cable to the motherboard simply links it up rather than powering the device at all?

Sorry for more questions... The splitter is externally powered (molex). Does this mean the motherboard will still be providing power? Does it act the same way as a powered USB hub would, where the cable to the motherboard simply links it up rather than powering the device at all?

Molex cables are powered directly from the PSU.

What I would do in your situation is plug the fan splitter into either CPU or CPU_OPT or any Fan/Sys Fan Header or it's equiv on your mobo, and plug the pumps header into the opposite.

So for example, Say you have a "CPU" header and a "CPU_OPT" header, Plug the Fans into one and the Pump header into the other.

Fans don't tend to use a lot of power so provided the splitter you use is of good quality running multiple fans on a splitter shouldn't be an issue. Also, As others have said the pump connector isn't what powers the AIO pump, that's the SATA power connector.

Archived