Corsair Community

QL120 + Commander - Random Speed Fluctuations

Wags

Hi folks, I appreciate your time.

I'm finishing up a build which has 6 x QL120's hooked up through a Commander Pro.

iCue runs up the RGB side wonderfully, I have zero problems on that front.

In a nutshell the fans went from idling quietly to 1500rpm of their own accord. All fans fire up together, there isn't just a rogue fan doing it's thing.

Custom profile - No go. Even fixed RPM - No go. Cannot get a reaction out of the fans at all when playing with those settings. Quiet/Balanced/Extreme make no difference either.

If I fire up Prime95 then I can bring on the fan increase, but it does not match the profile. It immediately goes up to 1500rpm regardless of the CPU sitting on <30C. I made a custom profile, switched to a temperature sensor instead of CPU and had it hanging outside the case @ 23C. Prime95 - 1500rpm again, completely ignoring the actual temperatures.

I have uninstalled all SmartFan software, System Info etc from Gigabyte. The only other software is the NZXT CAM software running the AIO. Those fans function as normal and don't make any difference whatsoever to the QL120's.

I have re-installed/restarted services etc with no change.

Can I please have some opinions on what may be the issue here?

Thanks in advance

You need to learn how to correctly apply the fan curves to the actual fans...

On the third photo, you are showing a custom fan curve (fixed @1045RPM) selected but you haven't applied it to your fans (it's still using "Quiet", not "Custom"). In the first photo, the 6 fans are surrounded by a yellow box telling you that the selected performance profile (on the left with the yellow background) is applied to those fans. You need to left-click each fan you want to "apply" the fan curve (performance profile) to. Ditto for the second photo - you are still using the fan curve selected the first photo... "Quiet", not "Custom 1".

Now, the first photo show you are indeed using the built-in "Quiet" fan curve which has the CPU temperature as a source reference (guaranteed to be present in every build) for the curve. Launching Prime95 (a bit of a heat virus) will quickly heat up your CPU and naturally; ramp your fans up to their maximum speed (1500RPM for a QL120).

Hope this helped solve your conundrum.

Thanks so much Blaise. I can now have a play.

Sorry for such a stupid question to begin with. The application to individual fans really had me stumped.

I appreciate your time.