The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > General HoH Stuff > General Questions

Old 06-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 403003
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

I would suggest a better PSU based on what you posted. See if a friend can loan you something else to test your system with.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403069
Davyboy Reputation: 10

I dont have any friends who own decent PC's,,, all my friends have got really old computers with crappy hardware...

As I said already I am going to be buying a new PSU this week... I was planning on getting a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 750w, but the place I buy my gear from has none in stock.. So I have been hoping that they get their stock of the new Corsair HX850 before Wednesday so I can order one of those instead, as I have heard good things about this unit... Also I will be buying 3GB of RAM as well for testing purposes...

Fingers crossed the new hardware helps me figure out what is causing the problem... I am hoping that it is the PSU...

The problems with my rig are getting worse by the minute.. it has also started to give me random app and service crashes when the system is completely idle and sitting at the desktop, also random BSOD's when shutting down as well... I have never experienced problems like this with a PC before..

This would indicate to me that whatever piece of hardware is causing these problems is starting to get worse..

I just want this problems to go away, my head is done in!!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:05 AM
xpatar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403097
xpatar Reputation: 10

Before start spending money without reason be sure that your power supply works correctly. Try a psu tester. See if your psu rails are good. If not go for a better and new psu. I would suggest for a (Removed there is no need to do this you have been warned Per Forum Rules!) 750Watts. Lots of power with a single 12v rail giving 60 amps.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 06-02-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403110

I wouldn't say I am spending money without reason... I was planning on upgrading my PSU anyway...

And the new RAM is only going to cost me £45, and it will mean that I am able to test this system more thoroughly so that I can find EXACTLY what the cause of the problem is...

I am planning on building another i7 rig in the future for my Fiancee, so by buying new components one at a time, I can eventually put together another system, so nothing is really going to waste at the end of the day.

The PSU's 12v and 5v rails are fine, or at least they gave me correct readings on my friends voltmeter.. but it wasn't a digital meter, so I don't know how accurate it is...

I've pulled the Hiper PSU out of my i7 rig now anyway, and I have stuck it into my Fiancees Dual Core Athon 6000+ X2 system, so that she can make use of my old Asus 8800GTX 768MB graphics card, as the old PSU that was in her box was only 300w, and it didn't even have PCI-e connectors to run a decent graphics card...

I will just leave my i7 rig alone until the new PSU and RAM arrives, I will be placing the order tommorow, so it should arrive the following day..

If the Dominators do turn out to be the cause of this issues, how can I go about RMAing them directly with you guys instead of the retailer???
Old 06-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 403162

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403180

LoL... I have been waiting since the very first page of this thread for you to say this RAMGUY!!!! :D

I will be ordering some new RAM tommorow along with a new PSU, so I will just hold back RMA'ing these modules until the new gear arrives, so that I can test the rig with a new PSU first, if the new PSU resolves the issues then there will be no need to return them, however if the problems persist when the new PSU is installed, and if they dissapear when I install the new RAM modules, then I will know 100% if it is these Dominators that are faulty...

It is RAM from another manufacturer that I am going to buy tommorow, but this will only be getting used for testing purposes on my rig, as I want to use Dominators for my system...

I don't suppose you could tell me roughly how long it will take for me to recieve my new modules when I return these current ones??

Is it a matter of days, weeks, months???

Thanks so much RAMGUY

::edit::

Just noticed xpatar has been banned, what did he say wrong in his post above on my thread?

I notice in there is a warning in red writing covering something that he had said... was he recommending me a PSU from another manufacturer other than Corsair??

If that is the case, he really shouldn't be doing that on these forums... I fully understand!!

Last edited by Davyboy; 06-02-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403188
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
I don't suppose you could tell me roughly how long it will take for me to recieve my new modules when I return these current ones??
I believe it's 7-10 business days from when you ship to them depending on how you ship it.

Quote:
Just noticed xpatar has been banned, what did he say wrong in his post above on my thread?

I notice in there is a warning in red writing covering something that he had said... was he recommending me a PSU from another manufacturer other than Corsair??

If that is the case, he really shouldn't be doing that on these forums... I fully understand!!
I just checked the post pre-edit, and that's exactly what he did. It's only a 1 day ban though. Everyone's free to buy what they want, but promoting a competitor here, tsk tsk :) It's clearly covered in the rules.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Old 06-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403192

Thanks for the reply Wired..

If I have to ship them off, I will do it the quickest possible way that I can so that I get my RAM back ASAP!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403224

Sorry for the double post.. But I just wanted to let you know that I have placed my order for my new PSU and another 3GB of Corsair XMS3 1333MHz RAM for testing.. It should arrive tomorrow...

Roll on!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 403231
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
Sorry for the double post.. But I just wanted to let you know that I have placed my order for my new PSU and another 3GB of Corsair XMS3 1333MHz RAM for testing.. It should arrive tomorrow...

Roll on!!!
LOL...now for "delivery anxiety" while waiting for Big Brown or FedUp. You ever notice how on a day you are waiting for a delivery, EVERYTHING that drives near you sounds like a delivery truck?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403411

Well, I got the PSU and RAM today, and the problems are still present!!!

In fact I would go as far to say that they are getting worse... because before I got the new PSU, when I tried to run a Blend test in Prime, it would go for a few minutes before reporting an error, whereas now, it BSOD's or freezes up as soon as I start Prime!!!

I am absolutely raging about this...

I feel like dropping my case from a very high height...

I have dropped the RAM down to 1066MHz, and it appears to be Blending just fine... however, I never bought DDR3 1600MHz Dominators, or 1333MHz XMS3 RAM to run it @ 1066MHz... If I wanted 1066Mhz RAM I would have went for a Core 2 or PhenomII 940 system and bought 4GB of DDR2 1066MHz RAM!!!!

I have spent well over £1500 on this i7 rig, and it is garbage, it doesn't run as it is supposed to... and it is driving me up the wall...

If I can't get it to run stable with the RAM at its rated frequency then I will be stripping the rig down and RMAing the CPU, and mobo back to retailers for testing...
Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403417
Wired Reputation: 32

Haven't re-read the whole thread, but I'd wager it may be the memory controller in the CPU based upon your last post.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Old 06-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 403429

And when you installed the new memory (????????#) what were the BIOS settings you had set and did you load setup defaults or just set settings?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403433

Hi again,

When I installed the XMS3 3GB pack, I tried leaving settings on auto and raising the mem multi to 10x to get 1333MHz and it BSOD'ed as soon as I tried to run Prime Blend Test...

Then I also tried setting timings manually to 9, 9, 9, 24 as stated on the side of the modules, with a 10x mem multi again, and I got BSOD immediately after starting Prime Blend...

However, I reinstalled my Dominators ( in a different order from before if that makes any difference?) and set standard timings to:

CAS Latency: 9 (default = 8)

tRCD: 9 (default = 8)

tRP: 9 (default = 8)

tRAS: 26 (default = 24)

And I set advanced timings to:

tRC: 41

tRRD: 8 (default = 6)

tWTR: 8 (default = 6)

tWR: 16 (default = 12)

tRFC: 90 (default = 88)

tRTP: 8 (default = 6)

tFAW: 30

Command Rate: 2T

I also raised the QPI up to 1.455v from 1.35v, and then I fired up Prime and ran a Blend test, and it ran happily for 1 hour before I stopped it manually..

I will leave it Blending overnight with these settings, but I think I am getting somewhere with this rig now...

I'll keep you updated as to how I get on...
Old 06-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 403459

What is the part number that you just got? TR3X6G1333C9?
And when ever you change memory you should load setup defaults and then set the tested settings Cas 9-9-9-24 (Cas, TRCD, TPR, TRAS) and what ever the Voltage is on the modules leave the other settings alone. Then test with www.memtest.org.

Tags
ga-ex58-ud5, i7, tr3x6g1600c8d