Corsair Community

H100i v2 - Fan RPM constantly changing, even at fixed %

Annatier

I've been having this issue for about 2 months now -

I use Corsair Link, and the fan RPM on my H100i v2 will constantly have a very minor up-and-down hum, seemingly changing in tandem with the CPU load. The RPM fluctuates very small amounts, 1260-1320 sometimes to 1380. It occurs this way with the fans set to 'Fixed %', and will even fluctuate if I set a fan curve, regardless of its range. Regardless of settings, the pump will even fluctuate small amounts; 1950-1980 RPM, etc.

I've done a small bit of troubleshooting the last few days, and have tried;

Making sure the Fans/Pump are associated with the appropriate cooling group in LINK, which I believe should be 'H100i V2 Temp' group -- correct me if I'm wrong.

Disabling any other fan softwares that don't play well with LINK. I don't use another software aside from MSI Afterburner which I use to set my GPU fan curve. Even then, I closed Afterburner using the Task Manager and then checked my fan RPMs, the problem persisted.

Using the Task Manager to close LINK, then using HWMonitor to check if the fan RPMs were still fluctuating; they were. (I don't actively run/use HWMonitor; it was just for this test.)

Rolling LINK back to a previous version (4.9.3.25, then back to current version, as previous version didn't solve the issue.)

Double checking my BIOS to make sure Q-fan control was set to off.

And as I've mentioned, it seems to be associated with even a slight increase in CPU activity. The fans will have an increased hum, going up and down every few seconds with CPU load even at fixed %. I don't want to assume it's associated with the pump going bad, as my CPU temps are totally fine.

(GIF of LINK display of temps, rpms, and CPU activity)

https://gyazo.com/5e7e5713139ddd0ca5cf1818addd22ed

I did read a much older post about an identical issue, which leads me to believe there might be a fix. Though, their fix isn't applicable to me unfortunately, as I don't use any form of software like that.

(http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=837906)

Is this a common occurrence, is it normal, or am I simply overlooking something?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

(Apologies if this post would be better suited to the LINK section of the forums, but I wasn't sure where to post.)

What I see in that gif is the fan speed changing by +/- 60RPM and the pump +/- 30 RPM.

That's completely normal. Even at fixed %.

Ah, thank you very much!

I've just never been able to find information about whether or not this fan behavior is normal. As such, I've always just assumed it was an issue. Now the sound won't be as bothersome, knowing it's a normal occurrence; always nerve-wrecking if you think components are dying.

Thanks for your time.

If those are the stock fans ... that's also normal. The stock fans are pretty beefy and powerful, but they also bear a striking resemblance to a Boeing 737. If the noise it a problem, take a look at replacing them with the ML series of fans - specifically, the two pack that you can find on Amazon. Performance is as good or better and they are much quieter, especially when installed inverted.

I agree it is probably normal variance. No fan controller can lock you down at 973 rpm and have it hold to the single digit. If you take it off fixed and put in on the quiet or a gradual custom curve, the variance and behavior should be the same. If for reason it is then more erratic, we can take another look. I can see why you might use the fixed setting. Managing a 980 Ti and it’s secondary effect on the coolant can be a bit of a nuisance.

Unfortunately I think the sound you hear is quite real and a common complaint on the stock fans, especially when inverted and blowing vertically. If they are bothering you, consider a replacement. The obvious like for like choice is the ML120 Pro. Same range and possibly better performance at middle and high speeds, but a marked difference in loudness and tone. Most people are really satisfied after making the switch. Lots of other choices too.

Archived