Corsair Community

Two CMT32GX3M4X1866C9 kits. 3 of 8 bad sticks. Serial help.

etacarinae

Hi there,

Late 2011 I purchased two kits of CMT32GX3M4X1866C9.

Recently I started receiving BSOD's so I ran the usual induvidual stick by stick within the same memory slot Memtest86+ troubleshooting and determined 3 of the sticks to be bad.

I have created an RMA with my reseller, however we have a problem: I cannot return both sets of ram as I would have an unusable PC for weeks. We (myself and the reseller) cannot identify which 3 bad dimms belong to which kit.

Both kits have the lot number 123408565 printed on all 8 dimms.

I retained the retail boxes for both kids. On each box there is a unique prefix before the lot number.

One kit retail box states: 4701123408565

The other states: 4700123408565

Unfortunately, neither of these are on the dimms themselves. How am I to determine which of the two kits to send back? I obviously cannot send back just the 3 bad dimms.

thats a difficult situation, combining 2 sets is not supported or suggested. (for reasons like this and several others)

best bet is maybe call customer service, see if you can either get a single 64G kit or replace both kits and roll the dice.

you can request an advanced RMA where you get the new ram before sending the old ones back.

thats a difficult situation, combining 2 sets is not supported or suggested. (for reasons like this and several others)

best bet is maybe call customer service, see if you can either get a single 64G kit or replace both kits and roll the dice.

you can request an advanced RMA where you get the new ram before sending the old ones back.

I understand. However the kits are obviously very close as by judging their lot prefixes differing by only one integer, but yes, you're correct. It is a roll of the dice. At the time of purchase a full 64GB kit was not available in the Dominator[Red - excluding the newer platinum] range, and still isn't available to this day.

Is the advanced RMA available to Australia? That's where I'm located. We generally do not have such service afforded to us because of the distance.

Archived