Corsair Community

CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 memory profile

fifo

Hi,

I have the Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C15 Memory Kit (CMD32GX4M4A2666C15)

Now i did have a few of the dimms not fully seated in properly at first then i saw the leds not lid after some time then reseated them and now the leds are bright white. Now when i started my PC my asus x99 deluxe MB bios chose the XMP profile 2 which has a voltage 1.35V and shows a frequency of 2800Mhz, I did not find this right so i changed it to profile 1 which uses 1.2V with a frequency of 2666Mhz. I have checked the datasheet on the corsair website and it states 2666Mhz - Tested Voltage and SPD voltage 1.2V.

So why is the bios choosing profile 2 which has a voltage of 1.35V. I have asked the MB manufacturer who say that it reads the profile from the memory chip. If it does then its wrong. And i wonder if the 1.35V has damaged or reduced the life of my corsair memory dimms. They still seem to work ok luckily. I can get them replaced i suppose. It shouldn't cause any damage to the memory socket should it being 1.35V instead of 1.2V. Is the profile read from the dimms. Why is it choosing the wrong one?

The second profile is just a bonus for those who care. It is a free performance boost and no once forces you do to actually use it. Profile #1 is the actual specifications.

When you enable the XMP, you do chose the profile yourself. At least thats how it is for all my boards (20+ models).

The higher the memory frequency, the more volts you need to supply the modules to run it. The second profile is a more extreme set of presets. When outside of the XMP presets, your Asus BIOS will default to 1.35 volts on anything above 2133. It is meant to enhance stability. Additionally, some people with Asus X99 boards have reported the E-Z BIOS defaulting to the second XMP profile after a BSOD or MemOK flip. However, it may be a visual glitch, rather than the BIOS actually changing the memory speed to the 2nd XMP profile. When you change it back and save and exit, note whether or not the memory speed is listed on the change list. That's something Asus will have to correct.

thanks for the response,

what do you actually mean by

"When outside of the XMP presets, your Asus BIOS will default to 1.35 volts on anything above 2133"

Wouldn't the profile 2 2800 Mhz that uses 1.35V damage or reduce the life of your memory or/and your CPU in my case intel 5930k. When i saw the bios has chosen profile 2 1.35 v i changed it 2 profile 1 1.2v 2666mhz, i restarted, went into the bios and it says 2666mhz.Then i installed windows and had no problems. But i am concerned about when the bios defaulted to 1.35V, whether that caused any hard to my dimm or cpu i did change it profile 1 after 5 mins.

Secondly i am a bit confused about this mb switches on the asus x99 deluxe,

You have TPU (don't know if this is a preset overclock or not)

XMP switch

and EPU

now asus USA say you can set the switches to disabled and enable the functions in the bios.

Asus europe say you have to enable the switches on the motherboard to use the features, but you can disable them in the bios.

What response is correct?

thirdly by not having the RAM fully flush into the socket on one end which i had previously and turning the pc on for a several minutes (I saw the led not lit properly so i turned the system off and reseated them and then it worked fine with leds nice and bright). can that damage or reduce the life of the CPU in any way? I don't know if there is any electrical connection to the cpu and memory other than data signals that can damage or harm the cpu if the memory is not fully inserted at both ends. I can get the cpu and motherboard replaced if the chances are high.

Higher voltage brings higher heat to the memory. So in theory, a set of modules run at 1.2v might outlast a set at run at 1.35v. However, the lifespan for either is still likely to greatly outlast the lifespan of your computer. Many modules are designed to run at 1.35v, especially yours. 1.35 is not an unsafe voltage and you will not damage the memory sticks by running it. All of that said, I would also choose to run the XMP 1 profile at 2666 unless I really needed the increased memory bandwidth. I have the 2666 Vengeance kit on this board, and I choose the run it at 2400 for more stability and because I do not need the extra bandwidth right now. The Asus BIOS is programmed to default to 1.35v for any speed above 2133, unless you give it instructions otherwise (like an XMP preset). It is deliberate and Asus believes it will give most users necessary stability. Remember their goal is getting the greatest number of motherboards running stable. Someone with a lesser set of memory sticks may need 1.35v in order to run any speed.

The hierarchy for the Asus overclock features goes like this:

MoBo TPU & XMP switches ---> BIOS features (E-Z or Advanced) ----> AI Suite 3

This means the BIOS features will override the motherboard switches, and the AI Suite 3 will override the BIOS. Don't mix and match. Use one overclock mechanism at a time only. If you leave the switches enabled and then make BIOS changes, you can lock the board into an endless failed boot loop. You seem comfortable in the BIOS and that is the one I would recommend for most people. The TPU and XMP switches work, and even though you should still be able to access them on a Deluxe with two GPU's, I can't think of reason to use them. They are more useful for lab bench work or pre-setting a machine for someone else. I am not familiar with any differences between regional products.

Thousands of people every day fail to get the memory modules inserted properly into the sockets. It is the most common problem. Anything is possible, but I don't think I've ever seen someone report they fried their board. Regardless, if you had damaged the board you would already know because it would not read your memory modules at the affected places after you did get them in. You are up and running, with your XMP profile enabled, and your computer isn't crashing. I think you can stop worrying.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived