Corsair Community

Can't boot Win 7 64bit after installing CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

neuroleptick

Hi there.

This is my first forum post so be gentle with me and please forgive any Faux pas on my part :-)

The problem I have is that I cannot get my desktop PC to boot (Win 7 64 bit) after fitting the new Vengeance chips that came in the post today.

They are model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB).

I'm running the latest BIOS for my MOBO (F7), and if I put the old DDR3 chip back in then it boots up fine, so I don't really understand what the deal is.

As you can probably gather - I'm a bit of a newbie, so any advice would be very warmly received, as I have been trying different things for about 5 hours or so, but to no avail :-(

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

It's just possible you could stop me from pulling what's left of my hair out!

With respect and thanks in anticipation.

Darren (neuroleptick).

What happens when you try to boot with the new modules? Nothing, just a black screen, any message or....? Are you able to boot into BIOS?

You haven´t been specific about what you have done so far in trying to solve the problem, but normally you just need to install the new modules, enable XMP in the BIOS and then restart. A good advice is to clear CMOS (use m/b jumpers or remove the battery), install the new modules, then boot into BIOS, enable XMP and reenter the other BIOS settings. After that, try to boot into Windows.

Hello Darren.

When you run computer did you see something on the screen? I mean bios informations? load screen or just black monitor? If you see just go and post for us the message/error that you see in the monitor.

And where did you buy this ram? It's new it's second hand? If you have black screen just put it in other computer and if you have the same problem that it means that ram is bad)

Hi there guys.

Thanks for the responses to my original query.

Sorry if my original post was a little vague.

The problem was that windows would hang at the 'Starting Windows' screen - the animation wouldn't appear above those words and would get no further into the boot process.

I was able to get into the BIOS & look at the settings, and even tried removing the battery, then putting it back in after 10 minutes or so to reset it, but still couldn't get the new DDR3's to work.

So basically, I came to the realisation that I probably am not going to be able to get the new RAM working myself.

And since I don't have another machine at hand which I could test the memory on , I decided to bite the bullet and simply take the PC to a shop to get the RAM fitted (plus get some other upgrades I'd been considering too).

I'm sincerely sorry if I've wasted anybody's time, but thanks for getting back with the advice anyway - it is very much appreciated.

So thanks again.

Darren. (neuroleptick)

Hi all

I have just joined the forum as I have EXACTLY the same problem!

I have a Samsung Laptop with 1GB momory in Slot 1 and 2GB in slot 2.

I bought a 4GB Corsair memory to upgrade to 6Gb by replacing the 1Gb with 4Gb to give me 6GB.

The BIOS accepts the upgrade and shows 6GB but WINDOWS 7 stops at the opening screen and then a message appears which states the following (abstract)

A hardware change has occured and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Now I am CERTAIN the memory is the correct specification and the latop can be upgraded to 8GB.

The problem appears to be with WINDOWS 7 but I am baffled as to what to do about it

By the way if I put the original memory back the machine boots and runs perfectly

Any HELP/COMMENTS very gratefully received

Regards

Edward

• 4 weeks later...

Archived