Corsair Community

TX650W Buzzing Noise

abdidas

My Corsair psu is making these buzzing sounds. I have two corsair psus and both are making the exact same noises. My graphics card is also making the same noises however the psus are louder.

The noise is like a buzz electric noise. I happens when I scroll pages, resize or move around windows and when In 3d application like games and ati tool 3d cube.

It seems like the noise has a direct link with the framerate. My 8800GT which I replaced use to make even louder noises than my current 4850 which is brand new.

Can you please help me with this issue. Why is it alot of corsair psus have this same issue. What is causing the odd sounds.

Disappointed in cosair. Why are so many units experiencing this exact same issue. I tried the bios settings change to no avail. Atleast my setup is not extermely loud. Is there any fix or technical info on this.

1. Read the stickies in this area.

2. It can be many things causing the issue external to the PSU.

I cant test the problem in safe mode because the drivers are not loaded, so I cant start a game or even atitool for that matter. Please tell me other external things that can cause this buzzing sound. My gpu and psu does the exact same sound and it seems it has a direct link to framerate. However it also occurs when scrolling pages, moving, the menu of some games like crysis ETC. HEEEELP that is what I need from corsair.

Some other guy here had the exact same problem as me. I tried the bios setting change but not working. I believe this because its a dfferent issue. I dont get the sounds in 2d except for the scrolling etc. I do get it in 3d games unless I put on vsync. Quiet frankly it depends, IF its high fps then the sound is loud.

No, am not using anything extra like a ups. Only this power supply connected to an extension cable. If this is a driver issue then It should be more of a problem to everyone. What drivers are you talking about?

I registrered when I saw you write about this. I have the exact same problem. There is a buzzing noise coming out of my PC whenever I game, do 3d stuff, scroll, move windows, copy text etc. I suspect this is either my PSU or my GPU.

I then saw this video:

and we almost have the same PSU. I got Corsair 650W he had 620 I believe and the noise is similiar!

What the hell is this.. I thought Corsair was a quality brand, hell I was sad I got NorthQ for my previous computer but atleast it worked without any problem for me.. sad.

I registrered when I saw you write about this. I have the exact same problem. There is a buzzing noise coming out of my PC whenever I game, do 3d stuff, scroll, move windows, copy text etc. I suspect this is either my PSU or my GPU.

I then saw this video:

and we almost have the same PSU. I got Corsair 650W he had 620 I believe and the noise is similiar!

What the hell is this.. I thought Corsair was a quality brand, hell I was sad I got NorthQ for my previous computer but atleast it worked without any problem for me.. sad.

I know its extremely annoying. I got two of the 650W psus and they are really pricy and both make the sounds. Corsair is showing off their high quality product but cant deal with small annoying things like this. DISAPPOINTED :(:

Have either of you checked the stickies? Checked different outlets?

Yes.

The first sticky seems to be the only sticky related to this and the only thing it says is if you have Intel processor then do something which I don't, I have AMD.

I have tried different outlets too.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee

The clicking/buzzing noise is not normal to the unit, and yours should be replaced. It’s very difficult to test units for audible noise in reality, because Corsair’s test environment has a very clean power source. Many times, the clicking/buzzing noises come from the PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process, and these components all can react differently based on how clean the power source is. A unit that performs silently here in the lab may buzz or click in a house with older wiring, or a room with a failing battery-powered UPS, or any number of other things.

We can certainly replace the PSU for you if you would like. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

The clicking/buzzing noise is not normal to the unit, and yours should be replaced. It’s very difficult to test units for audible noise in reality, because Corsair’s test environment has a very clean power source. Many times, the clicking/buzzing noises come from the PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process, and these components all can react differently based on how clean the power source is. A unit that performs silently here in the lab may buzz or click in a house with older wiring, or a room with a failing battery-powered UPS, or any number of other things.

We can certainly replace the PSU for you if you would like. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I just wanted to know if this is normal or not. I am not sure if mine goes from the GPU or PSU but I found a youtube video with a guy that has almost the same PSU as me and it has the exact same sound.

I have two years warranty on my whole PC so I am going to send it in to my retailer and ask them to take a look at it.

When I Put on safe mode and cant replicate the buzzing when scrolling pages, moving around windows, or resizing them. However I cant run ati-tool because the drivers arent loaded. What should I do. Both my corsair tx 650W does this buzzing sound. So did my previous graphics card.

Is it normal for buzzing and squeal noises coming from power supply?

• Corsair Employee
RAM GUY

I wonder, if having this buzzing/noise problem - does performance or stability or longevity decrease? Any chance of it breaking because of this?

I would suggest you to try a different 650TX. If the problem remains, then would usually suggest other problem. Could be an out of spec voltage from your outlet, bad feedback from one of the components in your system. I do not believe it is any harmful to the PSU if the voltage coming in is between 90v ~ 264v

• Corsair Employee

Is it normal for buzzing and squeal noises coming from power supply?

No it is not normal... If you have two with the same noise/buzz, then more than likely it is an out of spec voltage from your outlet, bad feedback from one of the components in your system

I would suggest you to try a different 650TX. If the problem remains, then would usually suggest other problem. Could be an out of spec voltage from your outlet, bad feedback from one of the components in your system. I do not believe it is any harmful to the PSU if the voltage coming in is between 90v ~ 264v

RamGuy-

I just received my replacement HX850 and I have the same buzzing noise. I am convinced that two PSUs can't have the same issue. I am going to investigate my video card as the culprit.

Have you seen any instances where GTX260 cards cause feedback along the powerlines of PSUs?

• Corsair Employee
I am using the latest drivers for nVidia cards.

Just a few things to look into:

1. try a different video card

2. make sure voltage coming from the outlet is at least 90+ volt and clean

3. if the PSU buzz as soon as you turn on the computer, then you might want to try replicat this buzz with barebone setup, and then add one component at a time.

Just a few things to look into:

1. try a different video card

2. make sure voltage coming from the outlet is at least 90+ volt and clean

3. if the PSU buzz as soon as you turn on the computer, then you might want to try replicat this buzz with barebone setup, and then add one component at a time.

Wall outlet voltage is 120v. If it is not 'clean' does that harm the PSU? I currently have my PC plugged into an APC Backups RS-1500 that does AVR. Do I need anything else?

I will try your other suggestions as well.

Archived