Corsair Community

Commander Mini will not control fans based on temp sensors.

Lukeroge

I'm trying to use the temperature sensor groups to control fan speeds on my Commander Mini but it simply refuses to work. I can use the "CPU temp" or any other group to control my fans with custom curves but as soon as I try and use one of the Commander Mini temperature probes it just stops working and leaves the fan at its previous RPM.

I've also tried using SIV to manually link the temp sensors with the fan control, but it just reverts the setting back to internal.

Any fix for this? Because it makes the temperature probes completely useless if I can't even control my fans with them.

http://puu.sh/cYgI1/bf000efd7c.png

Image of Corsair Link ignoring my fan curve (CL Midcase Temp is one of the sensors included with the Mini)

http://puu.sh/cYgK6/a4fdcaa55d.png

If I switch to CPU temp it works as it should.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SIV writes the correct values as far as I can tell, but when it reads them back the sensor selected is always zero. I am starting to wonder if this is a firmware bug.

Hmm, yeah, it always reads back internal, but I've actually tried heating the temp sensors and the fan RPM does not move :(

• 3 weeks later...

I have just found that the H100i and H80i with the 1.0.07 firmware also his this issue. Does anyone know if there is a firmware version that works for any of the CL Mini, H100i or H80i please?

CL Cooling Nodes, H100s and H80s work fine, but not CL Minis, H100i or H80i. When I write the new mode and then read it back bits 4 -> 6 are always zero. This means that temperature feedback to the CL Mini is rather limited.

Below Cooler-L works as I would hope, but the CLCC-E and H100i fans cannot use manual temperature feedback control at all. Further for the CL Mini I can't use temperature sensors 1, 2 and 3. Note Internal is 4 which is somewhat strange.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20115&stc=1&d=1418832211

siv_fan.thumb.png.702a02d1947d8b8ab75382d1dde6cdff.png

I have just found that the H100i with the 1.0.07 firmware also his this issue. Does anyone know if there is a firmware version that works for either the CL Mini or H100i please? I suspect the H80i will also have this issue.

CL Cooling Nodes, H100s and H80s work fine, but not of my CL Minis or H100i. When I write the new mode and then read it back bits 4 -> 6 are always zero. This means that temperature feedback to the CL Mini is rather limited.

Below Cooler-L works as I would hope, but the CLCC-E and H100i fans cannot use manual temperature feedback control at all. Further for the CL Mini I can't use temperature sensors 2, 3 and 4.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20102&stc=1&d=1418638804

Yeah, it kinda makes the temp sensors useless if you can't do anything with them, and makes the whole CLCC useless without the software as there is no automatic fan control option that works without the software feedback

• 5 weeks later...
Yeah, it kinda makes the temp sensors useless if you can't do anything with them, and makes the whole CLCC useless without the software as there is no automatic fan control option that works without the software feedback

Yes there is, but only Temperature sensor 4.

Same problem here. Just spent an hour draining my loop and installing a liquid temp sensor I bought specifically to setup fan curves in Link. Wish I saw this earlier. I'm done with Link at this point. I've been holding off on buying an Aquero controller but I can't see Corsair fixing Link anytime soon...

I can at least say this is a documented bug in CL.

Please will you tell us the URL that documents all the features/bugs in CL? I assume it will have a breakdown by version. Ideally this should be a sticky post and the current obsolete ones deleted.

That information is unfortunately in our internal bug tracker and is not available to end users.

If we can't access the information then it's not documented! Recorded but not documented.

Please can you tell me exactly what bugs are logged against the CL Mini 1.1.06 firmware and which have been fixed?

I am still waiting for a Beta release of the CL Firmware to test. Given I have not received this I feel a fully tested CL V3 being released before the end of January 2015 is wishful thinking.

• Corsair Employees

Dude, you're not going to get beta releases. They're tested and validated internally.

We have an internal tracker that we use to document bugs.

I know you want to help us with development and the help is appreciated, but the situation is more complex than you think it is. There are potential legal issues involved with having an outsider do dev work on this.

What a load of waffle! What has testing firmware got to do with me doing software development for Corsair?

Based on the CL reliability and the CL Mini 1.1.05 firmware totally failing to report temperatures I can't trust Corsair to test the fixed firmware and would like to do this myself before V3 is released and it's too late.

Yet again you have failed to say if the issue has actually been fixed!

I can at least say this is a documented bug in CL.

That information is unfortunately in our internal bug tracker and is not available to end users.

Do you get why we are pissed off about this? You reply in a manner that we should realize that something is a documented bug. When challenged, you admit we can't know if things are documented or not, as we can't see the bug list.

We are told we need to send bug reports in a specific format, but then we get releases of software, that fail to say if bugs are fixed, and are told we just need to try the newest piece of Alpha/Beta BS that is slung at us.

If you really want to help, with a little customer service, fight to get some things done correctly. A nice start would be a way for people to see a list of issues, and then for releases to say which issues have been addressed.

As I've said before, you are just the newest deck hand to change the arrangement of chairs on the Titanic! If you wish to be known as anything else, help to provide some information to the community.

Surely they must! Failing to have a customer accessible summary of common issues is unacceptable and unprofessional. Ideally there would be access to a list of all known issues.

I would like to check if the default RPM for Fan 5 being 2150 rather than 2000 is a known issue. I guess this is a hangover from this being the pump on the H100i/H80i.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20691&stc=1&d=1422402125

Maybe Corsair are refusing to release the issue tracker because it would scare off potential customers? I would have avoided Link like the plague if I knew how many problems it had.

That's a pretty cynical theory and probably incorrect. I think the most likely explanation is Corsair simply haven't given it any thought and don't understand the importance of a public bug list. They're obviously inexperienced at software development so it makes sense...

I have been doing some more testing and I think I have a handle on what is happening. I have noted the following:

1) When I write 0xFF to the mode register it reads back as 0x8F, so my code thought the command had failed to enable manual feedback mode. This happens for the H100i/H110iGT/CL Mini, but the old Cooling node/H100/H80 which read back as the 0x00FF that I wrote.

2) If I ignore the unexpected returned mode and update the feedback temperature anyway then the fan speeds change.

3) SIV only writes the temperature feedback when the temperature changes. I have noticed that the firmware changes the feedback temperature I set to the internal temperature.

The net effect is that I think there are two firmware bugs:

1) The mode is not returned correctly.

2) The feedback temperature gets overwritten when it should not be.

Please will you pass this onto the development manager and provide feedback to me?

I have now managed to work around these issues with the latest SIV 4.52 Beta, but only when -AIOCTL is specified. This is needed as the firmware fails to correctly report the mode register, so SIV needs to write to it, read it back and then deduce from the incorrect value that is reported what is needed to make temperature feedback work.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28072&stc=1&d=1488698885

attachment.php?attachmentid=20781&stc=1&d=1423039649

421100428_LinkFans.thumb.png.915889b0a7e3e22e9f981ba9d19bb7d8.png

1690363036_LinkFans.thumb.png.68cb3123f9cddb9c6818c3d13a8b4ac0.png

• 3 months later...
Please will you pass this onto the development manager and provide feedback to me?

It has now been over 3 months and the only feedback I have received is that this issue has been escalated.

Given I it took me 2 days to code and test a work-a-round I would expect the firmware could be corrected in a similar time frame. Please can you explain why it's taking so long and tell me the date when Corsair expect to release a corrected firmware?

As of this date, Corsair is still advertising it as a feature on the Commander Mini's product web page.

"Manage fan speeds individually, set up customized cooling profiles, or program fans to respond to changes in ambient temperature – the choice is yours."

Has this feature ever work correctly?

As of this date, Corsair is still advertising it as a feature on the Commander Mini's product web page.

"Manage fan speeds individually, set up customized cooling profiles, or program fans to respond to changes in ambient temperature – the choice is yours."

Has this feature ever work correctly?

Not for me! Just installed my Mini last night. It detects temp and controls the LEDs wonderfully. It does not show a single one of my 6 fans that are connected to it, so I can't control their speed. At this point it's only supplying a constant voltage to those 6 fans. I'm NOT happy.

I believe my problem is I need PWM fans with 4 pins instead of the 3 most of my fans have??? Does that mean I gotta go spend another $100 to get all new fans???

• Corsair Employees
Not for me! Just installed my Mini last night. It detects temp and controls the LEDs wonderfully. It does not show a single one of my 6 fans that are connected to it, so I can't control their speed. At this point it's only supplying a constant voltage to those 6 fans. I'm NOT happy.

I believe my problem is I need PWM fans with 4 pins instead of the 3 most of my fans have??? Does that mean I gotta go spend another $100 to get all new fans???

No, the Mini absolutely should be detecting your 3-pin fans and giving you control over them. I'd RMA it.

Archived