Corsair Community

Fully custom Corsair One 2019, need your advise

arkitec

Dear good people,

I need a help and advise from good people here.

I have been back and forth between weather I should be getting Corsair One or build from scratch with Phanteks Shift.

I started even thinking (hoping) fabricate a case my own taking an advantages from both Corsair One and Phanteks Shift case. All this ideas come from upgradability.

My question really is can I swap the motherboard to ASRock X299 mini itx for a CPU of i9-7980XE or i9-9980XE into Corsair One? I understand warranty will be gone and sound like wasting money but I really love Corsair One (hope they sale just a case)

My plan was to get the lowest price of "The One" i140 and keep everything but

1. Swap motherboard to ASRock x299 Mini ITX Motherboard

2. Swap CPU to Intel i9-7980XE or i9-9980XE

3. Swap PSU to higher wattage accordingly something that can fit in the case

4. Swap top fan to higher RPM and CFM (like 2000-3000 RPM?)

Again, Sound like wasting money but any thought you have about my plan?!!!

I'm not looking into OC but temperature is going to be crazy at stock with that CPU????

Seems can't find anywhere on website doing/talking about this swap (is it because it's not even possible?)

I'm very new to custom PC world so I need experts opinions.

Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

• Corsair Employees
Those chips have a similar TDP rating, but they have more cores and could be prone to higher heat. We haven't validated them in the chassis as the Corsair One systems were validated with their components very specifically due to the thermals we were getting in the system.

I was in a similar situation to you (deciding to buy the i160 and modify it, go with the Phanteks Shift, or make a case at my shop). I decided to go with the i160 as I much prefer the look of the case and I believe it is a much better built case as well. I currently only swapped the motherboard and ram as that was my main issue with the system. It was not very difficult; however, if you are going with a motherboard that has a different layout you will have to deal with some pretty tight wire management. I went with the Asus z390I as I was planning on getting the 9900k anyway. I haven’t swapped the PSU yet but from my research the sf750 is a plug and play with the 600s wires.

In terms of it being a waste of money, I was essentially able to create an i140 our of my spare parts so it wasn’t that bad.

As for the boat you are in, I believe that is the same motherboard that comes in the i180. It would make it much easier if you started there as not only will you not have to deal with swapping the board, you will also get the 750 watt PSU that should be enough for anything you can fit in the case. If you went with the i140 you may have to do some cable management and that is by far the hardest part of the install as the case is very tight. Otherwise if it’s the same board as the i180 it should fit no issues and if you are unable to swap the fan without advice then the best advice I can give you is not to take on the challenge lol.

TLDR; I would totally do the swap again and plan to do much more with the case. I also have pics of my install if you need some reference.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I agree with Corsair Mint as well. I kept the same processor but the cooling in the case may not be enough for the 9980xe as even my 9900k gets a little toastier then I’m used to and I don’t know if there is any difference in the i180 in terms of cooling.

Edited by Remorage

Those chips have a similar TDP rating, but they have more cores and could be prone to higher heat. We haven't validated them in the chassis as the Corsair One systems were validated with their components very specifically due to the thermals we were getting in the system.

Hi Corsair Mint,

Thank you for such a quick reply. I totally understand your point. I think I'm gonna stick to the plan with what Remorage did.

Thank you again

I was in a similar situation to you (deciding to buy the i160 and modify it, go with the Phanteks Shift, or make a case at my shop). I decided to go with the i160 as I much prefer the look of the case and I believe it is a much better built case as well. I currently only swapped the motherboard and ram as that was my main issue with the system. It was not very difficult; however, if you are going with a motherboard that has a different layout you will have to deal with some pretty tight wire management. I went with the Asus z390I as I was planning on getting the 9900k anyway. I haven’t swapped the PSU yet but from my research the sf750 is a plug and play with the 600s wires.

In terms of it being a waste of money, I was essentially able to create an i140 our of my spare parts so it wasn’t that bad.

As for the boat you are in, I believe that is the same motherboard that comes in the i180. It would make it much easier if you started there as not only will you not have to deal with swapping the board, you will also get the 750 watt PSU that should be enough for anything you can fit in the case. If you went with the i140 you may have to do some cable management and that is by far the hardest part of the install as the case is very tight. Otherwise if it’s the same board as the i180 it should fit no issues and if you are unable to swap the fan without advice then the best advice I can give you is not to take on the challenge lol.

TLDR; I would totally do the swap again and plan to do much more with the case. I also have pics of my install if you need some reference.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I agree with Corsair Mint as well. I kept the same processor but the cooling in the case may not be enough for the 9980xe as even my 9900k gets a little toastier then I’m used to and I don’t know if there is any difference in the i180 in terms of cooling.

Hi Remorage,

Thank you so much for a super detailed info you share with me.

What am I thinking, i180 come with x299 and for some reasons I missed that spec..... haha

I'm glad found people out there went through the thought I had. and I decided, I'm gonna do what you did. I'll get i160 and update MOBO, RAM, PSU.

Since Corsair Mint mention about the heat caused as well as you did, I don't see the point getting i180 with i9-9920?! I'm not sure how well this CPU perform with my needs. Then I'd rather get i160 and save some money for future build.

May I get your suggestion for the MOBO please. I want ASUS but which one I should get? I'm an Architectural Designer and I use program below

・AutoCAD

・Revit

・3dsMax

・Sketchup

・V-Ray for rendering

・Adobe Photoshop

・Adobe Illustrator

・Adobe InDesign

・Adobe Premiere

and of course RAM to be 32gb and PSU, I'll swap over to 750.

One last thing, could you share your photo please?

I'd love to see your build.

Thank you again!!! Cheers

No problem, the reason I mention the heat is because I believe the factory Bios has a thermal throttle that kicks on around 60-70 to keep it cool. After swapping the board I immediately saw the major issues I had with the system fixed (Two M.2 slots, boot time decreased by ~3 seconds, and it would hold the factory turbo speeds at 4.7 during stress testing). However I shut my stress test down before the cpu reached 80 as it didn’t seem to be leveling out and that was already hotter then I liked. Also, because of that I have not tried overclocking either. I did some gaming over the weekend though (~8hours of the BL remaster at 2k max settings) to test it out some real world performance and under normal load and fan set to extreme both GPU and CPU stabilized around 35. (Ambient was around 25)

If you are set on Asus and want to keep the 9900k then the board I got is really the only one I would go with.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-I-GAMING/

But be aware, while I believe Asus has some of the best bios and hardware, their customer service is the worst. My first motherboard was a R4BE and it came with a few bent pins. When I contacted Asus they told me, and I quote “we don’t ship bad products, there is nothing we can do for you”. Luckily I was able to unbend them, but I always try to warn anyone else buying Asus.

I still plan to remake the front IO to include the USB-C header on the ASUS and the virtual link port of the 2080ti once I get more information on pass-through cables that are compatible. Then to wrap it all together I want to get this bad boy painted to match my BL themed desk

I will post some pics of the motherboard swap after I get off work.

Edited by Remorage

Well pics are apparently a pain in the butt to upload so I will see if I can get them up later. Here is a list of the steps I took though if you would like a reference. The process wasn't that hard, but I would be wary if this is your first PC build.

First I removed and moved aside the CPU cooler.

Then I proceeded to unplug all the cables and ram sticks (you will need to cut zip ties).

Next you will want to remove the hard drive cage so you can move the wires out of the way and help with removing the gpu extension.

After that un-clip the front and rear panels slightly so they don't interfere (there are three plastic clips on each that were easy to remove with a flathead).

Finally, the motherboard can be removed!

Installation is just the reverse order.

The two key steps I figured out the hard way was remove the hard drive before attempting to remove the gpu extension and you need to un-clip the panels as the clips extend too far into the motherboard space.

PS if someone at Corsair could provide me with the Corsair one post image I would love to swap the ASUS one, as I am a huge fan of Corsair while, because of my customer support incident, I very much dislike ASUS and don't want to have to look at the ASUS post image every time I boot.

• Corsair Employees
PS if someone at Corsair could provide me with the Corsair one post image I would love to swap the ASUS one, as I am a huge fan of Corsair while, because of my customer support incident, I very much dislike ASUS and don't want to have to look at the ASUS post image every time I boot.

Sorry, it's embedded on the stock boards. But thanks for liking it!

• Corsair Employees

The retail ASRock X299 ITX board WILL NOT FIT in the Corsair One chassis. We had to modify a daughterboard to ensure that it would work.

To be honest, if you want to go nuts with a Corsair One, your best bet is just to buy the i180 and manually upgrade the CPU to the i9-9980XE. We've actually validated and certified against that CPU. We won't warrant its operation or any damage you may incur by doing the swap, but it can be done and should work fine.

We also have a 64GB upgrade kit for the i180 en route. You can technically buy a 16GBx4 SODIMM kit and it should be fine, but the upgrade kit comes with specially selected ICs and heatspreading tape to guarantee stability.

As for the i140/i160, I don't know what you really gain from switching motherboards. Maybe another 100 or 200MHz turbo? Maybe? You can achieve similar results by manually undervolting the CPU, which could reduce noise in the process.

Hi Corsair Dustin! Thanks for the response, I thought that the X299 may have had a bit of extra love in it! As for the i160, for some reason I could not get mine to hold any kind of turbo at all. With factory settings it could boost to around 4.2 during testing and if I tried any kind of overclocking it would drop much lower. It may have been my lack of experience with MSI’s BIOS but after researching and testing for hours and having none of my friends have any luck, I decided to do the swap.

After the swap, even without changing any settings on the motherboard it would stay constant at 4.7 and I have got it running 5 without issues. It may have been me or it may have just had a bad board; but, since it wasn’t seeming to have a hardware issue, and since I come from building PCs, my solution to underperforming was “upgrade” lol. Seems to be fine now, performance is excellent, and the Bios won’t be an issue for the PC I put the board in!

• Corsair Employees

So, the motherboard included is going to have limitations in place in BIOS in order to ensure surface components don't overheat.

I'll have to go back and play with the i160 some more to see if I can reproduce your issues. I'm working on having an overclocking-enabled BIOS for the i180 produced, if there are issues with the i140/i160's motherboard BIOS in terms of letting customers play with the settings and tweak their systems I'll want to make sure those issues are resolved.

Thanks for the information! I figured that was the case as the inspiration for the mod came from JayzTwoCents, when I noticed he was experiencing the same overclocking issues I was and the swap solved it for him as well.

In case you want more information, I was able to get it to overclock fine but as soon as I started any testing it would almost immediately drop and often to lower then if I had not touched the bios at all. (Which if you had pre-optimized the bios makes sense)

Unfortunately I did not save any of the settings I changed, as once I changed the motherboard I didn’t have to worry about it, so I don’t have anything to post as a reference.

I'll have to go back and play with the i160 some more to see if I can reproduce your issues. I'm working on having an overclocking-enabled BIOS for the i180 produced, if there are issues with the i140/i160's motherboard BIOS in terms of letting customers play with the settings and tweak their systems I'll want to make sure those issues are resolved.

I just received my i160 and I'm pretty good Systems builder and tweaker (in fact, it is the very first pre-built rig I ever bought during 25 years), so in case you would need any testing, I'm happy to help.

Also as I plan to squeeze out any drop of performance I can get from this lovely little box (of course, with safe temps and voltages, etc..). I will let you know if I will encounter any issues while trying to achieve that.

Welcome Etz! I didn’t think I would be purchasing a pre-built either until I fell in love with the original Corsair One. Luckily the revamp lined up perfectly with my planned room update so I bit the bullet. I don’t have nearly as much experience as you do, only 5 years since I started building and modding, so I’m excited to see your results!

I can confirm the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming Mini-ITX motherboard is a direct drop-in in an i160. It took about 20 minutes to install, simple swap. I primarily did the swap to get ThunderBolt 3 and x2 M.2 ports. At the same time changed the boot M.2 for a 2TB Samsung 970 Evo NVME and swapped the 2TB factory drive for a 2TB Samsung SSD. I also swapped out the 600W PS for a SF750 80 Plus Platinum PS, again direct drop-in. The final change was the OEM Corsair fan for one of their 2000 RPM ML140 PRO 140mm Magnetic Levitation Fans. Very happy with the upgrade. Runs cooler and doesn't thermally throttle now. Edited by RodT

Thank you all good people here responding to all my questions. I've been away from my desk for my work. I'm back now to catch up you guys.

Question came across that what if AIO Cooling break down before/after warranty, would I be able to purchase from Corsair? Do they only sell the AIO cooling system to the One owner?

Thank you again,

Hi RodT, congrats on the successful swap. That was the other board I was considering as the thunderbolt 3 seems tempting. I went with the Asus mainly because I really want to change out the front IO to include usb-c and VirtualLink and the ASRock does not come with a type-c header as far as I’m aware. My swap was a bit premature as I plan to get two 1TB NVME once the new generation of Samsung drives are released and I plan to swap the fan out with the Noctua 140 once they bring their updated 120mm design to their 140mm line.

As for your question arkitec, I am sure that they would replace it if it failed within warranty and even out of warranty I find it hard to believe they will tell you that you are out of luck. Either way, I do not believe they offer the pump for sale at all, so they may require you send it in and have them service it.

Hi Remorage,

I understand the RTX20180ti that is in the i160 has a VirtualLink header (there is a post about it on this forum), although I haven't looked myself. In the thread, one of the posters mentions all you need is a header extension to get it to work. One of these days I'll pop the side off and check myself. The 2k ML140 works surprisingly well. Not sure why Corsair didn't configure it with that fan from the factory, likely it is a bit louder at full RPM, but honestly, it's not that much louder for a significant increase in static pressure and cooling.

My observations so far:

Default BIOS settings are quite good, no problems with it running between 4,8-5.0Ghz (Voltage does not exceed 1,3v, temp does not exceed 80C), depending on load. Have not yet started to tinker with OC as pre-installed Windows on mine was "bust" and I had to reinstall it from scratch using external medium.

It actually acted really weird, could not change user profile pictures, connect to Network drives, do WU, etc, etc...

So far so good, it performs like 9900k should and better than I could ever expect, considering form factor.

Also, it looks like there is not much thermal headroom left, to do any extensive OC.

Edited by Etz

Hi RodT, congrats on the successful swap. That was the other board I was considering as the thunderbolt 3 seems tempting. I went with the Asus mainly because I really want to change out the front IO to include usb-c and VirtualLink and the ASRock does not come with a type-c header as far as I’m aware. My swap was a bit premature as I plan to get two 1TB NVME once the new generation of Samsung drives are released and I plan to swap the fan out with the Noctua 140 once they bring their updated 120mm design to their 140mm line.

As for your question arkitec, I am sure that they would replace it if it failed within warranty and even out of warranty I find it hard to believe they will tell you that you are out of luck. Either way, I do not believe they offer the pump for sale at all, so they may require you send it in and have them service it.

Thank you again Remorage,

I'm planing on swapping all parts as soon as I receive i160. That means, I'm breaking warranty right away so I was wondering. I love the case and the way the lay out inside so I should just shut up and get it and do it right?! I've became a bit big head so much information out there.

Noctua would be a great choice and Im planing that too. I may even go with industrial one like 140mm 3000rpm. but will see...

I also replaced the stock MSI motherboard with the ASRock Z390 Phantom gaming mini-ITX/ac, and it is indeed almost a simple swap.

Be aware that the power switch cable is too short by a couple inches as the system connector is much lower on the ASRock motherboard compared to the MSI, so I had to use a short homemade extender cable.

The CPU fan header (for the single wire monitoring cable) is also at a totally different place on motherboard (on top), but there was enough slack in cable to extend it).

Also replaced the exhaust fan with a Noctua industrial (black) 2K RPM, no issue at all; almost same speed except under extreme loads, and thermals about a couple degres C lower compared to stock corsair under same load conditions.

Quite happy.

I believe I was the one who mentioned that RodT lol. I went searching for the missing VirtualLink port when I realized the i160 didn't have it and found that it was still on the card. I haven't tested the port but I don't see why they would have put a software lock on it.

As for the fan, it seems that most the premium fans preform close enough to call them the same; so, in order to get better cooling you need to increase the fan speed and therefor noise. I'm fairly certain the only reason Corsair limited the fan speed to achieve their desired noise levels with the system. If you don't mind a noisy PC then the 3000 should be fine, otherwise 2000 will give a slight increase in airflow.

Since this is my main PC, I am holding off swapping until Noctura updates their 140mm line or another fan comes out that gives better performance/noise as even during heavy use temps are fine. Although, summer is causing temps to rise...

Congrats on the swap pdebaum, I expected that a few motherboards would just need cable extensions to make it work!

you guys are getting me pumped to do my swap ! ... I am doing a different type of swap an AMD budget swap ...I got a first gen lowest model corsair one very cheap on ebay .. got rog strix x470-i motherboard 1700x cpu, 32gb g.skill ram intel 1tb m.2 boot drive upgrade corsair fan jay's2cents mentioned and corsair sf600 watt psu also designing, 3d printing, painting, an adornment for front of case. I don't game much if at all on my pc's anymore so 1070 card is fine for now ...