Corsair Community

[Software] IdleKey - Dim / Edit the lighting of your Keyboard when it's not in use!

i can't find any instructions how to set it up to work... pls help me out :D

I can start idle key and set a timer of 1 minute, activated CUE's automatic profile switch but it doesnt do anything!

i made already a dark idle profile which this programm should switch to, when im away for like 10 minutes. But i have no idea how to bind it to

idle key!

best regards

Syntox

Try using this: Illume

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, there's no way to control the Lock indicators.

i don't think u can switch off the numlock etc keys off, as they are essential indicators, think corsair mentioned they cannot be disabled/changed colors somewhere.

HTH.

I can control the Lock indicators in CUE 2, using the Performance tab.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=27943&d=1488092932

See also Whatff workaround.

Edited by Comet ☄

This functionality should be built into the new CUE2 software.

when the windows screensaver kicks in, the profile goes back to default.

With CUE 2, I set the hardware profile to static lighting (e.g. all keys off) and associate this profile to my screensaver. If the hardware profile has all the keys dimmed, then this replicates the description of the initial purpose of the idlekey program.

Alternatively, a timer action can be set that retains original output, and resets on activity, calling the profile switch to the dark profile on timer expiration. This is bound to my "Enter" key, so that if my keyboard is inactive, then the profile switches automatically. In my dark profile, each key is defined to retain original keypress and switch profile back to my default profile.

Edited by Comet ☄

If you'd notice the context, this discussion was about Num Lock, Scroll Lock, and Caps Lock; all hardware-driven and cannot be controlled by any software.

Hello Elestrial; Although the current functionality of the CUE performance tab lacks control over the "Num Lock, Scroll Lock, and Caps Lock" indicators, your statement that these are hardware driven and cannot be controlled by any software appears to be at incorrect, as any key can be programmed to act like "Num Lock, Scroll Lock, and Caps Lock" and the indicator lights toggle accordingly; if this were hardwired behavior, then I wouldn't expect the software that allows key rebindings to have any ability to turn on and off these indicator lights.

My imagination currently fails to see any reason that there would be a technically infeasible reason preventing Corsair from updating the keyboard driver and CUE SDK to store the current state of the indicator lights and allow it to be queried and controlled by a program such as yours, because even if there is no current status flag, the path to light an indicator seems to be controlled by software, so that software can keep a flag and send another toggle event as needed for control.

If I am mistaken, please do correct me.

--------

Teatime: I thank you, sir. I'm always happy to be corrected. I shall remember that... next time.

Edited by Comet ☄

• 1 month later...
i can't find any instructions how to set it up to work... pls help me out :D

I can start idle key and set a timer of 1 minute, activated CUE's automatic profile switch but it doesnt do anything!

i made already a dark idle profile which this programm should switch to, when im away for like 10 minutes. But i have no idea how to bind it to

idle key!

best regards

Syntox

You don't need "idle key"; you can set up a Timer action to switch to your dark idle profile after, say, 20 minutes if no activity, and bind this to a frequently-used key, such as Enter. You can further automate coming out of your dark idle profile by setting each key in it to retain original key settings and switch to your default profile.

Any way to have this activate on keyboard idle only not mouse idle?

as in I want the idle profile to activate when im not using my keyboard but still using mouse

Very easy to do--set up a macro which, when expires, goes to your idle profile with lights out, and have the timer reset if the key is used. Then bind it to any of your frequently used keyboard keys, such as Enter. Then, if your keyboard is idle, the profile with switch, even if you are active on the mouse. You can also set up actions for each key on your idle profile to retain original key settings and do a profile switch to your default profile.

Hi there guys. Please help me to figure it out how to make my corsair keyboard rainbow effect when I afk and static green when i touch any key or mouse. Im trying to do with guide setting 1st profile with rainbow eff and linking to the profileEXE1 and setting 2nd profile with green to the TriggerEXE and as a default one in CUE. But this not working.. colors doesn't change when I afk for 1 min or even 10 (set 1 min in IDLE). Im pretty new with all the stuff and little brainless with this :D

Create afk profile with Corsair rainbow effect, and define actions keeping original key input to switch profile to your default static green profile. You can create a timer action in your static green profile to switch to your afk profile automatically on expiration, and bind it to a frequently used key, like Enter, having the timer restart every time you hit that key. This solution doesn't need IdleKey, so I will leave it to other posters to explain how to do what you want with that program, should you decide to use it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Elestrial; Although the current functionality of the CUE performance tab lacks control over the "Num Lock' date=' Scroll Lock, and Caps Lock" indicators, your statement that these are hardware driven and [i']cannot be controlled by any software[/i] appears to be at incorrect, as any key can be programmed to act like "Num Lock, Scroll Lock, and Caps Lock" and the indicator lights toggle accordingly; if this were hardwired behavior, then I wouldn't expect the software that allows key rebindings to have any ability to turn on and off these indicator lights.

My imagination currently fails to see any reason that there would be a technically infeasible reason preventing Corsair from updating the keyboard driver and CUE SDK to store the current state of the indicator lights and allow it to be queried and controlled by a program such as yours, because even if there is no current status flag, the path to light an indicator seems to be controlled by software, so that software can keep a flag and send another toggle event as needed for control.

If I am mistaken, please do correct me.

Lock indicators are driven by Windows itself. If you plug in a second keyboard, hit Caps Lock on it, you'll see the Caps Lock indicator light up on both keyboards.

Yeah, you can hack Windows to screw with the indicators, but that's generally a terribly bad idea. Here's an AutoHotKey script that sends control packets to the keyboard, but they'd be reverted the moment Windows receives a toggle from those switches and you'd have to run it again: https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/9587-keyboard-led-control-capslocknumlockscrolllock-lights/

So yeah, you can control indicators using software. This goes against pretty much every best practice that Microsoft applies to indicators and accessibility, though. No company in their right minds would allow such easy manipulation of important Windows functions; it's extremely bad practice.

Edited by Elestriel

• 4 weeks later...

TheNyJan: thank you for this program!

I needed exactly this, but in seconds instead of minutes. Somehow, I had to put 61 seconds instead of 1 minute to make it work. I decompiled your app and modified it to work in seconds. I wanted to know if you would let me post the modified source code to my Github so others can modify it/improve it. I would link to this thread and specify you're the author, of course.

• 1 month later...
I registered only because of this thread... And first of all - YES, such feature must be in CUE by default in the first place! And while its not, can someone please make a guide for total noobs how to make this soft work. Because solution with macro is not really it. Thanks in advance. Pytqon

Lock indicators are driven by Windows itself. If you plug in a second keyboard, hit Caps Lock on it, you'll see the Caps Lock indicator light up on both keyboards.

Yeah, you can hack Windows to screw with the indicators, but that's generally a terribly bad idea. Here's an AutoHotKey script that sends control packets to the keyboard, but they'd be reverted the moment Windows receives a toggle from those switches and you'd have to run it again: https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/9587-keyboard-led-control-capslocknumlockscrolllock-lights/

So yeah, you can control indicators using software. This goes against pretty much every best practice that Microsoft applies to indicators and accessibility, though. No company in their right minds would allow such easy manipulation of important Windows functions; it's extremely bad practice.

I don't use this tool yet. I'm gonna wait for the update but in the meantime, there is a simple way to turn off the numlock with the lights key. Just go to actions, select the lights key. Start recording a macro and hit Numlock once. Then stop the macro recording. Now hit the tools icon on the same tab (next to the flag) and enable "Retain original key input".

That's it. Considering your numlock key is enabled by default on system startup and your keyboard lights are already fully on, when you hit the lights key once, your keyboard lights will go off entirely. When you press 3 times more, everything will go back to normal, including the Numlock. It basically hits numlock everytime you hit the lights key so on the 2nd light setting, Numlock will be off. It's not a perfect solution but does the job for me. I use my keyboard either fully lit up or on the 1st brightness setting anyway.

It looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/jQP7lgj.jpg

Edited by i liek turtals