Corsair Community

Devastating Experience RMX 850

lnstagramKo

Hello, Corsair community.

I have just experienced a faulty PSU that just destroyed my Motherboard and most likely my other parts...

I don't know what to do, I have the receipt of where I purchased my motherboard which is from CanadasComputers. But I wanted to contact Corsair first if they can do anything about my motherboard being damaged.

I had the Power supply for about 1 or 2 months now and it was working fine, but then all of a sudden, when I tried turning it on it, turned on normally; my RGB turned on and everything but then it made a weird noise and then poof my computer turn off and then I tried turning it back on and then it made a spark and small smoke came out of my motherboard side where the 24 pins connector was, and then it wouldn't turn back on... it made a weird noise and it smelt very bad. I was very scared and I unplugged everything.

My motherboard was the x570 Rog Crosshair and I am devastated, I don't know what to do , I have the proof of purchase ; receipt for both my motherboard and Corsair PSU from certified retailers, but I don't they can cover for the damage the PSU has done because I bought my PSU and MOBO from two different retail ; Canada'sComputer and Amazon.Ca sold by Amazon(Amazon Prime)

Please any tips on what to do?

Contact Corsair Support.

I understand the devastation. But this isn't the place where you can get help. The Support team can help.

Thank you for your reply im glad to know that I did the right thing , now I just have to wait for Corsair to reply. I have contacted them through email/ticket. Now I just have to wait but I am not sure how long especially with COVID19 which is unfortunate.

• Corsair Employee
Hello, Corsair community.

I have just experienced a faulty PSU that just destroyed my Motherboard and most likely my other parts...

How do you know it "destroyed your motherboard". That is a very rare occurence.

But I wanted to contact Corsair first if they can do anything about my motherboard being damaged.

Then you should contact Corsair. Using these forums is not contacting Corsair. I will say that they do have a damage claim system for people that think that other hardware has been damaged from the failure of a Corsair product.

How do you know it "destroyed your motherboard". That is a very rare occurence.

Then you should contact Corsair. Using these forums is not contacting Corsair. I will say that they do have a damage claim system for people that think that other hardware has been damaged from the failure of a Corsair product.

So basically , when I just tested my RAM and GPU on my brothers system its fine. But when I tried using his PSU obviously, not going to dare attempt to plug in my PSU into his build to see it destroy his too. My MOBO wouldnt turn on my parts. The GPU and RAM. but when I installed both my RAM and GPU onto his board it was fine. And also I'm pretty sure the smoke and spark didnt just come out of no where because it wanted to :\

I have already contacted them two days ago through the support ticket/email, just waiting on a reply but that will take a while. I am only posting to see if there are any more options.

Thank you for your feedback , hopefully they can see what went wrong with the PSU.

• Corsair Employee
So basically , when I just tested my RAM and GPU on my brothers system its fine. But when I tried using his PSU obviously, not going to dare attempt to plug in my PSU into his build to see it destroy his too. My MOBO wouldnt turn on my parts. The GPU and RAM. but when I installed both my RAM and GPU onto his board it was fine. And also I'm pretty sure the smoke and spark didnt just come out of no where because it wanted to :\

I have already contacted them two days ago through the support ticket/email, just waiting on a reply but that will take a while. I am only posting to see if there are any more options.

Thank you for your feedback , hopefully they can see what went wrong with the PSU.

The spark and smoke came from the motherboard or PSU?

What was installed in your motherboard when you tested it with your brother's PSU?

The spark and smoke came from the motherboard or PSU?

What was installed in your motherboard when you tested it with your brother's PSU?

Just my motherboard and RAM was installed , and CPU with the aio cooler attached. None of the fans where spinning, no lights was coming from anything.

The spark and flash came from everywhere, as in the lights made a weird quick flick off and on and then zapped off and then smoke came from the Mobo why?

Oh.. well, if the spark and smoke came from the motherboard, why do you think the power supply is at fault and not a faulty VRM on the motherboard?

May not be a bad PSU at all then.

I don't think I want to test that theory by shoving my PSU into my brothers build, I'm more confident in the PSU being faulty than the Motherboard. I also should add that the 24 Pin motherboard cable I had wasnt going in too well and then I had to push it in and then the whole blowing up thing happened.

Is there a way I can test if my PSU is fine or not without risking anything else or even my own house. I was told by many others its the PSU on differnet forums and discord community servers and not to try again to increase further damage to my parts. What makes you very confident that it might not be my PSU at all judging from the last few replies you have made?

Edited by lnstagramKo

• Corsair Employee
I don't think I want to test that theory by shoving my PSU into my brothers build, I'm more confident in the PSU being faulty than the Motherboard. I also should add that the 24 Pin motherboard cable I had wasnt going in too well and then I had to push it in and then the whole blowing up thing happened.

Is there a way I can test if my PSU is fine or not without risking anything else or even my own house. I was told by many others its the PSU on differnet forums and discord community servers and not to try again to increase further damage to my parts. What makes you very confident that it might not be my PSU at all judging from the last few replies you have made?

If you have a handheld PSU tester like this: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-Tester-Connectors-Enclosure/dp/B076CLNPPK/

Otherwise, all you can do is send both the motherboard and PSU to Corsair and have them report back to you.

If you have a handheld PSU tester like this: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-Tester-Connectors-Enclosure/dp/B076CLNPPK/

Otherwise, all you can do is send both the motherboard and PSU to Corsair and have them report back to you.

Thank you! I'll definitely get this in the future.

I will be planning to send my MOBO and PSU.

Once they receive it and figure out what went wrong, will they send back my motherboard? how does this whole process work

• Corsair Employee
Thank you! I'll definitely get this in the future.

I will be planning to send my MOBO and PSU.

Once they receive it and figure out what went wrong, will they send back my motherboard? how does this whole process work

They'll test the PSU. If it's good, I believe they'll send both the motherboard and PSU back. If the PSU is bad, they'll replace both.

When you get a ticket number from Corsair, feel free to send it to me in a private message and I'll follow up with tech support.

They'll test the PSU. If it's good, I believe they'll send both the motherboard and PSU back. If the PSU is bad, they'll replace both.

When you get a ticket number from Corsair, feel free to send it to me in a private message and I'll follow up with tech support.

Awesome! Thank you so much Jonnyguru for your help, i'll make sure to do so when I get a ticket number

I just have another question if I where to leave my CPU inside the MOBO would they check if my CPU is broken as well for me or should I take it out and check myself? I didn't get to check if my CPU is still alive or not on my brothers build because he has his water cooling attached and my aio cooler and thermal paste would be a hassle to take apart for him and his own.

Edited by lnstagramKo

• Corsair Employee
Awesome! Thank you so much Jonnyguru for your help, i'll make sure to do so when I get a ticket number

I just have another question if I where to leave my CPU inside the MOBO would they check if my CPU is broken as well for me or should I take it out and check myself? I didn't get to check if my CPU is still alive or not on my brothers build because he has his water cooling attached and my aio cooler and thermal paste would be a hassle to take apart for him and his own.

Then leave the CPU in it.

Then leave the CPU in it.

Should I wipe off my thermal paste and take off my aio? or should I install my wraith cooler that came with my 3900x? or just leave it naked with just the cpu inside my board

Thank you again!

Also is CorsairElito the support ? :O I just received a private message!

• Corsair Employee
Should I wipe off my thermal paste and take off my aio?

Also is CorsairElito the support ?

You will get an email from Corsair support with a ticket number once you contact them here: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us

I do believe that CorsairElito is a Corsair employee though, so maybe they can take your ticket number and escalate it.

You will get an email from Corsair support with a ticket number once you contact them here: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us

I do believe that CorsairElito is a Corsair employee though, so maybe they can take your ticket number and escalate it.

I think he might be, I sent him my ticket number i got from my email :)

Thank you again, but do you think they would be okay with me just taking off the cooler off my cpu and just rubbing it clean the thermal paste?

Because I think my cooler would be blocking the packaging if I have to send it out with my CPU and Mobo in the same box along wiht my PSU

Thank you again , I really appreciate all this!

• Corsair Employee
I think he might be, I sent him my ticket number i got from my email :)

Thank you again, but do you think they would be okay with me just taking off the cooler off my cpu and just rubbing it clean the thermal paste?

Of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you use the cable that came with the PSU, or use one you already had?

This is rather eye opening as I have not had any major problems with anyones power supply outside the AX680 which was counterfeit. I grabbed a TX850V2 which solved the lack of power problem. I ran GTX 260 SLI with it until I bought the GTX 660 Ti.