Corsair Community

K70 Keyboard, Eleven (11) dead LEDs

Fancayzy

A little over 2 months and this keyboard has eleven dead LEDs. It had dead LEDs shortly after I received it but 1 or two was an annoyance, not a failure. However, more and more LEDs constantly die. I have no doubt that even more will die.

I started a ticket (6080570) but no RMA #. I really don't want to spend a single cent for the enormous cost of shipping (if I want another keyboard in less than a month) when this keyboard had so many bad (and most likely more to come) LEDs.

Edit I guess the ticket # is also the RMA #. Everything else still applies.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: The dead LEDs count has now gone up to twenty-three (23) dead LEDs. How the heck do so many fail? I absolutely refuse to get another Corsair keyboard or spend another dime for an RMA process until I can get assurances that this will not happen again.

There are so many dead LEDs on the main keyboard that I might as well turn off the LEDs permanently (W, E, X, C, V, I, K, P, ?, left ctrl, 5, 7, -, =, \,

F8 and probably more and more as time goes on. This is in addition to down arrow key, Insert, Num Lock, 9 on keypad, etc.)

Make sure you aren't using the custom L.E.D. profile feature.

If you are not, It sounds like the K70 is faulty. This would be the first time i've seen this issue occur.

You can contact customer service via phone and ask if they can assist with shipping.

You can call them using Skype by calling their toll-free number.

This is not an issue that is commonplace and points to a defective keyboard. We can replace it for you under RMA which we have approved.

Is that so, I have the exact same issue.

Currently 4 keys have dead LED lighting. I, like this author of this thread expect more to follow.

Then again every single Corsair product I've owned have failed.

The last was the M95 that died within 2 days, sent that one back with shipping cost coming out of my pocket.

Now I have this K70 Keyboard issue and I refuse to pay a hefty shipping charge to have it fixed, when it is a Corsair issue.

Shipping alone is basically half the cost of the whole keyboard.

More RMA to come for this keyboard. A few months after purchasing my K70 keyboard, a bunch of the LED lights have failed. 12-13 keys have LED failures so far and they do not all fail at the same time. Just today two number keys have failed so it prompted me to search to see if others are experiencing this issue. Seems like if it was not common back then (when first released), it is now or about to become very common.

I have three dead LEDs on my K70. S and F are dead, while N is 95% dead(very very faint). The keys all work, though. I want to RMA but I want to wait to see if corsair tracks down the problem, as I don't want to have a replacement start having dead LED's too.

• Corsair Employee

Contrary to what some members may assume, it isn't an "inherit" problem. When you manufacture tens of thousands of keyboards, you will unfortunately run into a few keyboards that have a LED issue (similar to how Christmas lights can go out).

We understand LED's can fail sometimes and anyone who does have the rare unfortunate issue of it failing can definitely get it exchanged by us under your warranty. Just let me know your ticket number when you put in a RMA request and I'll take care of it for you.

Chalk me up as another one with failing LED's on K70.

F8 and PrtScn have stopped lighting up after having the keyboard for about 3 weeks.

I also registerd on Corsairs support site, they sent me an email with a random password but it won't let me login. I have had them send me two new passwords and I still cannot login.

Got my K70 about two months ago. Haven't had any issues with it and it worked great up until last weekend when the LED's in the bank of arrow keys died. Since then I've had LED's dying steadily all across the board. Currently at 17 dead LED's. I paid $150 to get a quality product, not something that was going to break two months down the road.

Called customer service to see if I could get a keyboard sent to me first so I could just swap the keys rather than having to take all my rubber o-rings off and then put them back on, but of course since I don't have a credit card nobody was willing to help. Then went on to ask if I could get a pre-paid shipping waybill and I was told that it was my own responsibility to ship the product to Corsair. It's absolutely ridiculous that I've paid $150 for a keyboard that has an obvious manufacturing defect and that I'm expected to pay an additional $40 to ship it to to get a replacement.

Got my K70 about two months ago. Haven't had any issues with it and it worked great up until last weekend when the LED's in the bank of arrow keys died. Since then I've had LED's dying steadily all across the board. Currently at 17 dead LED's. I paid $150 to get a quality product, not something that was going to break two months down the road.

Called customer service to see if I could get a keyboard sent to me first so I could just swap the keys rather than having to take all my rubber o-rings off and then put them back on, but of course since I don't have a credit card nobody was willing to help. Then went on to ask if I could get a pre-paid shipping waybill and I was told that it was my own responsibility to ship the product to Corsair. It's absolutely ridiculous that I've paid $150 for a keyboard that has an obvious manufacturing defect and that I'm expected to pay an additional $40 to ship it to to get a replacement.

That is not right. Corsair should be responsible for shipping both ways. It is THEIR fault the product is defective, not the consumer's.

I'm on hold now with Customer Support awaiting to find out if they are going to generate me a shipping label. If not, they lose my business forever. I've never dealt with a company that did not pay shipping both ways on a defective product. That is just bad business.

Contrary to what some members may assume, it isn't an "inherit" problem. When you manufacture tens of thousands of keyboards, you will unfortunately run into a few keyboards that have a LED issue (similar to how Christmas lights can go out).

We understand LED's can fail sometimes and anyone who does have the rare unfortunate issue of it failing can definitely get it exchanged by us under your warranty. Just let me know your ticket number when you put in a RMA request and I'll take care of it for you.

Not an occasional LED that died, that would be explainable and can be chalked up to "it happens when you have thousands of keyboards".

The issue is that they fail in a steady pace, first one, then 4, some have 17 dead LED.

That is a manufacturing error, could be that the soldering of the LED or the LED supply you use if of sub-standard.

LED lights can last for years and years.

So ONE light failing, sure, several one after another no way.

You have my ticket nr, Ramguy I have my invoice attached. please look into it as you said, I'd appreciate it.

Ticket nr. 6085994

Hello, just registered today to say that my k70 that's nearly a month old has 3 dead LEDs (comma and 2 arrow keys).

Now this was bought in the US and I'm living in the Philippines...

3 dead LEDs isn't the end of the world but I don't know if it's worth the hassle to RMA this (to Taiwan?) and receive another defective keyboard if it's a manufacturing issue.

Did not know that Corsair does not pay for return shipping. That's unexpected as I have had good to great experience from other companies recently that I overlooked Corsair's policy. As a matter of fact, while creating an RMA with Corsair I do not recall being notified that I would be responsible for shipping. I was only told that I would be charged full for the keyboard so that they can expedite shipping a replacement keyboard. The policy stated Corsair expected me to ship back the faulty keyboard within two weeks (I think). Nothing stated I was responsible for paying shipping in return. That's unfortunate if this turns out to be still the case, since I would have paid for a better known quality brand instead of Corsair. Ugh, I thought RMA with Corsair would be painless.

Are the hours and phone for contacting customer support listed below the correct? I attempted to leave a voice message, but automated system stated the voice mail box is full. No one is answering my request via RMA ticket online, so I would like to reach out to a live person if possible:

http://www.corsair.com/us/company/contact/

I am returning my 3 month old keyboard shortly as well. I am sitting at 15 LED lights out. I have read quite a few posts from different individuals across different sources having the same issue as well.

Ram Guy, has anything been done to ensure that replacements are not going to have the same issues?

I'm going to RMA my keyboard too, I searched the internet to see what was up with my keyboard. First the k LED died, but it was just one so I was like eh. Then today my e LED just died too. I only had this keyboard for a month, this is a serious problem. I really like this keyboard, hope they can fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my replacement K70 a week or two ago. It's funny, I had the backlit lights switched off for over a week just to try and save the life spam of the LED and yesterday decided to switch them on to play League of Legends later in the evening...

Sure enough, the "A" backlit key was out as I switched on the LED lights. The "(" or #9 key also has a failed LED light. I'll wait for more LED lights to go out and then RMA it again, this is a pain. Think I'm going to have to look for a replacement mechanical keyboard that has more reliable LED backlit keyboards.

Disappointing, I've had rubber domed keyboards with backlit keys that lasted 3-5 years before going out, what's up Corsair?

I wonder if it is time for us consumers to contact a consumer advocate. This is borderline fraud in my opinion.

How the HELL can so many REPLACEMENT keyboards have the same exact fault. Then you hear the BS that "this is not a common issue". That is pure lies with the evidence that if it is not common, the replacement parts should NOT have the same issues. If this was the car industry it would be a "recall".

I am pissed off having been robbed of my money by Corsair. They take forever to even send out my replacement.

http://www.consumerscouncil.com/index.cfm?PAGEPATH=&ID=25153

http://www.bbb.org/canada/

• Corsair Employee
I wonder if it is time for us consumers to contact a consumer advocate. This is borderline fraud in my opinion.

How the HELL can so many REPLACEMENT keyboards have the same exact fault. Then you hear the BS that "this is not a common issue". That is pure lies with the evidence that if it is not common, the replacement parts should NOT have the same issues. If this was the car industry it would be a "recall".

I am pissed off having been robbed of my money by Corsair. They take forever to even send out my replacement.

http://www.consumerscouncil.com/index.cfm?PAGEPATH=&ID=25153

http://www.bbb.org/canada/

First, it isn't a common issue at all. This is because I base it on the numbers we have sold versus the number actually returned to us for the issue. You claim there is more than what I imply yet you have no facts except conjecture to support your case.

Second, if you continue to have issues with your keyboard, then we do have options and you can discuss it with our customer service if you are not happy with the same replacement. The K70 is selling VERY VERY well right now and the reason why replacements may be delayed is simply an inventory issue (shortage).

You can jump up and down with threats to report to us to X and Y or you can calm down, and let us do our best to assist you. We strive to do what we can for all our customers and if you're one of the unlucky few that continue to have the same problem persist, we'll come up with a solution.

Archived