Corsair Community

Who Knew QVL Was a Thing? RAM Compatibility and OC Question

Daykeem

I purchased new Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 RAM and installed it on an existing ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 motherboard with an existing Intel i7-7700k processor. After enabling the XMP, I found that the system failed to boot (even with stock BIOS). The ASrock website states that the motherboard is compatible with up to 3600Mhz RAM, but I didn't know anything about the QVL list.

I found that the system boots if I set the speed to 2800mhz. I also found that the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2800 has better timings but is no longer sold locally.

So my questions are: should I just try to make my 3200mhz run like a 2800mhz with better timings? Does this make technical sense? Or should I just try to stick to the QVL list (which is also hard to find locally).

I've never overclocked memory before. CPU and GPU I'm fine with but the 'timings' factor is new to me.

Full Part List

Edited by Daykeem

• Corsair Employee

Hello Daykeem,

I don't believe there should be any compatibility issue with the memory linked and your motherboard. Did you try the sticks individually with XMP enabled and everything else set to defaults? You may want to reach out to our Technical Support team at help.corsair.com.

Z170 boards often run into issues when approaching 3000 MHz. You may be able to keep fiddling and work it out, but memory training is a bit intimidating if you are unfamiliar and patience testing for nearly everyone. There are quite a few threads from over the years on this issue.

You might try manual settings of 15-17-35 1.35v for 3000 or 14-16-33 at 2800 1.35v.

For both, you will need to adjust the System Agent (VCCSA) and VCCIO voltages. There is no exact range for this and too much can be too much. Try something between 1.15-1.20v to start.