Corsair Community

How many fan pwm connectors can a single motherboard pwm header handle

swarfega

My Aorus Master x570 didnt have enough fan headers (I am using 8) so I bought a Thermaltake Commander FP. I have plugged the AIO pump splitter into the cpu_fan header, and have put the 4 pin connector from the fan hub into cpu_opt.

It is nice and quiet but I am a little concerned about the load on the header.

The TT Commander is SATA powered, so no drain on the motherboard's 1.0A current limit there. It does use the PWM/tachomter wires to report speed and send the master PWM pulse to the controller.

Same thing on the AIO (or 95% of them). If it has a SATA power connection, the fan current is being pulled from there. The MB header reports a pump speed (normally) and also prevents the dreaded CPU boot error. No current draw here, except for some older AIO models. I don't see what you have in the PC spec list.

It really doesn't matter where you plug in the AIO (assuming Corsair) or the TT hub. However, most motherboards have special rules for their CPU headers. It may only run from CPU temp and that is usually not what you want for case fan control. I usually suggest people put the AIO header on CPU fan because it isn't good for much except a CPU air cooler and if the device fails on power on, you get an immediate CPU boot error warning. You also might have better control options on other headers for the TT hub, although header location may have been paramount to the decision.

Hi c, thanks for the reply. The AIO splitter is connected to the cpu_fan and I've plugged the fan hub into the cpu_opt connector. It is nice and quiet but I dont see any temps of course. So it sounds like its ok to do this.