Corsair Community

Thinking of Getting the Corsair One Pro Ti and the Best Monitor

Waterman

I like to play World of Warcraft again. My current computer is an iMac 5K late 2014 version. I like to once in my life get a really great gaming machine and truly immerse and enjoy WOW. I was debating if I should get the 2017 iMac 5K vs buying a PC. It seems that buying a good PC is a much better choice.

I saw many positive reviews and how great the customer service here at Corsair, and decided to register today.

Here are my specific questions, I hope someone kind enough to help me.

1. I am thinking of buying the one with the 1080 Ti GPU, that only left me with 2 options, 16GB vs 32GB ram, currently the 32GB seems to be out of stock. Aside from the RAM differences, is there any other differences between the 16 vs 32GB one? I could get the 16GB and upgrade the RAM in the future. Also, is 16GB one enough for the best gaming experience? (I play WOW or Diablo III mostly)

2. What is the best monitor out there the can bring out the best experience of Corsair One Pro Ti? I saw people mentioning the 34 inch 1440p Acer Predator, then I realized that there is also Alienware 34 inch 1440p. After looking at multiple Youtube videos, it looks like the Alienware is the way to go? Can anyone share their experience?

3. Just out of curiosity, if Corsair spent so much time making this great PC, why is Corsair not pairing it up with the greatest or at least recommend the greatest monitor to pair it up with.

4. Is there a speaker that come along with Corsair One? Do I have to buy my own speaker. As my current computer is an iMac, I never need to have a speaker, so if there is none, I have to get one. Is there any recommendation?

5. What is the best gaming mouse and keyboard to pair with this Corsair One?

6. Is there a difference between buying from Corsair website, Amazon or Bestbuy? Will I get the same customer service from Corsair if I ever need to?

7. In the last 10 years, I have never owned a PC. I switched over the Mac. All these time, aside from playing game, Mac has been really good, never really had an issue. My 2007 iMac and MacBook Pro are still working today!!! (Though I rarely use it, but I feel happy that it is working well). My 3 year old iMac 5K is still working great and serve me all my needs, except that playing WOW and Diablo III feel choppy. Will Corsair One Pro Ti last this long and still do well?

8. I never had a liquid-cool computer. Do I have to do anything to maintain the liquid cooling system?

9. If the liquid cooling system is as great as the Corsair website advertise, can I overclock the CPU? Will it harm the PC in the long run? Is it recommended by Corsair?

I don't like Dell but the Alienware display is visually better in my experience. I had both displays (z35p and aw3418dw) and returned the Acer because they lied about it having ULMB when it launched then tried to cover it up. Acer's "Premium Predator" customer service didn't know *anything* I asked about the product. Nothing. They even gave me wrong information. They didn't know how the OSD menus worked, had wrong information about the specs, didn't know how the display could be removed from the stand it shipped with to VESA mount the display on a different monitor arm (their supervisor told me it couldn't be done despite the fact partial VESA compatibility is a standard feature on the monitor)...nothing, and one of their executives called me personally to be a jerk about the ULMB issue...among other reasons. If people are getting better information about it now, it's directly because of me and the stink I raised with them over it.

Dell's customer support is tragically bad too. The term Dell Hell exists for a reason but the aw3418dw display is visually crisper than the Acer in my opinion and not because of my bad experience with Acer, I've had worse experiences with Dell which should really tell you something...and not about me. I try to stay extremely polite to their reps even when I'm getting pissed off by the 7th or 8th call. As it's been part of my career, over the years I've dealt with thousands of PC's for gaming, servers, workstations...etc. Customer service across the board has gotten worse in the past couple of years even if you hear occasional stories about satisfied customers. This is why I've been happy that Corsair took feedback to heart and acted on it. Not just lip service. Kudos to the Corsair team and execs for taking customers seriously.

There are newer displays coming out around now that will likely be better than both of them. If you really want "the best"...maybe look around a bit more, or wait to see what actually ships in March. Don't wait much longer than that. Neither of these displays is 4k. They're both UWQHD. Decide if you want a 4K display or not. Higher rez will mean lower performance (your video card has to work harder) but you're also looking at using that monitor 2 to 5 years from now or more.

I love the look of an ultra wide display. However, they get less in-game support for the 21:9 aspect ratio and resolution combo. A 16:9 aspect ratio 4k display will upscale full-screen better without so many HUD problems in so many games (or black bar issue) and look beautiful. If you prefer performance over higher resolution, there are plenty of non-UW 2K displays that are beautiful, will get better performance from your video card, and won't have these issues. Again...I love the look of having an UW display on my desk, and I love being able to spread out my windows across it while multitasking, but it comes with some real caveats for gaming, and 4k does give you more actual screen real-estate.

This is a relatively reliable list to keep an eye on: https://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor/ (it covers more than just 144hz monitors)

All of the big name review sites whether PC Mag, PC Gamer...etc etc or even the guys at HardOCP tend to...well...have their biases. Read them for feature details and info, but check the 3rd party forums where engineers who know their stuff actually comment and review, not just the "I'm a systems admin or brand store tech with an opinion". - of which I've been both in years past. Not that the big name guys don't know their stuff, but there's also a lot of misinformation, brand bias, and part availability issues in their process. (Like one or more companies won't ship them review samples, or one of their reviewers is boycotting a company, or they don't have the budget to buy enough review samples from different companies to compare...etc so we only see reviews for what they can get their hands on). Take everything with a grain of salt. Cross check reviews. Look for forum commentary on products by engineers in the industry, not the ones who make money from advertisers. And even then, like what happened to me with the Acer Predator z25p that was launched with advertising stating it had ULMB (it doesn't and Acer has since stealth-edited their own product press release)...don't believe everything you read.

Good luck. And good gaming! I hope this helps :)

nfanis, RC_ONE, thank you.

@nfanis, is your iMac 27 5K a 2017 version? How is the performance playing game? If you happened to also play WOW or Diablo III

@RC_ONE, I saw your other posts here. Do you still have the Corsair One or you returned it?

I hope someone from Corsair can help me to answer my other questions. :)

nfanis, RC_ONE, thank you.

@nfanis, is your iMac 27 5K a 2017 version? How is the performance playing game? If you happened to also play WOW or Diablo III

@RC_ONE, I saw your other posts here. Do you still have the Corsair One or you returned it?

I hope someone from Corsair can help me to answer my other questions. :)

I returned it but I hold no malice. I'm looking forward to future iterations of the product line which resolve the reasons it wasn't right for me at this time :)

It's definitely a sexy machine ;)

I decided to go with an LG 34UC89G ultra wide. You can't get an ultra wide in 1440 @ 144hz that is ALSO Gsync right now. Yes, I'm playing at a lower resolution than 1440, but FPS games are soooooo smooth on this versus the Acer w/Gsync at 100hz I tried first. I don't use this machine for anything other than gaming (I have Mac's for everyday work) so really made the most sense for me.

I am also a long time Mac guy - switched from PC a decade ago. Recently also got the 1080TI 16 GB. It’s great. Also running a 2016 or 2017 top end Mcabook Pro, and honestly find myself enjoying the Corsair more. Def faster, and Windows 10 is more user friendly than I’d expected.

Both hooked into a midrange 1440p 27” Dell, which in hindsight was probably a mistake - should have gotten a 34” curved display of some sort.

You’ll need desktop speakers (and/or headphones). Tons of good options - look at the wirecutter dot com.

I am also a long time Mac guy - switched from PC a decade ago. Recently also got the 1080TI 16 GB. It’s great. Also running a 2016 or 2017 top end Mcabook Pro, and honestly find myself enjoying the Corsair more. Def faster, and Windows 10 is more user friendly than I’d expected.

Both hooked into a midrange 1440p 27” Dell, which in hindsight was probably a mistake - should have gotten a 34” curved display of some sort.

You’ll need desktop speakers (and/or headphones). Tons of good options - look at the wirecutter dot com.

Thanks.

I don't like a headphone. Any wireless speakers you recommend?

I wonder if the Apple HomePod or Amazon Echo can act as a speaker?

Im just chipping in, the monitor I have is this Best UltraWide Gaming Monitor February 2018. The Samsung C34F791 is an excellent ultrawide gaming monitor, meaning that it has an aspect ratio of 21:9. This display will give you more screen real estate than regular widescreen monitors, and it is tailored for gaming as well due to the 100Hz refresh rate and AMD FreeSync support.

As seen at this link https://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor/ its a really nice monitor I would say.

Im just chipping in, the monitor I have is this Best UltraWide Gaming Monitor February 2018. The Samsung C34F791 is an excellent ultrawide gaming monitor, meaning that it has an aspect ratio of 21:9. This display will give you more screen real estate than regular widescreen monitors, and it is tailored for gaming as well due to the 100Hz refresh rate and AMD FreeSync support.

As seen at this link https://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor/ its a really nice monitor I would say.

I don't think Corsair One user can use this. The 1080 or 1080TI does not has Free-sync.

Archived