Corsair Community

Hyrdo X Series CPU Waterblock

Which are the INs and OUTs on the CPU WB or does it not matter and can it be changed if it does matter if we aren't happy with the direction chosen by default?

Also, are the XC9 2066 and XC7 2066 the same just different colored skins? (I prefer black for my build.)

First, LGA 2066 is only going to be the XC9. And there is a prescribed in and out on the waterblock.

Check again as there is two 2066 blocks advertised as one is grey and the other black.

They don't specify which side is IN or OUT and doesn't say if it can be changed since some people's loops don't enter the right side of the block but some are coming from the bottom or left side which would force some to crisscross their lines.

• Corsair Employee

Inlet is on the right side when the logo is on the bottom. Please refer to the image below.

oowuyln.png

Is the flow direction important?

Yes, it is. XC7/XC9 RGB works best with coolant entering via the

labelled INLET port. However, the product will operate with

reversed flow direction, albeit with reduced performance.

For more information, see QSG.

HYDRO X XC7 RGB 2066 CPU Water Block Quick Start Guide

HYDRO X XC9 RGB 2066/sTR4 CPU Water Block Quick Start Guide

Check again as there is two 2066 blocks advertised as one is grey and the other black.

They don't specify which side is IN or OUT and doesn't say if it can be changed since some people's loops don't enter the right side of the block but some are coming from the bottom or left side which would force some to crisscross their lines.

Ahh ... missed the XC7 2066 version.

However, the manuals are available online. And the manual does state which side is inlet and which side is outlet.

Inlet is on the right side when the logo is on the bottom. Please refer to the image below.

oowuyln.png

Is the flow direction important?

Yes, it is. XC7/XC9 RGB works best with coolant entering via the

labelled INLET port. However, the product will operate with

reversed flow direction, albeit with reduced performance.

For more information, see QSG.

HYDRO X XC7 RGB 2066 CPU Water Block Quick Start Guide

HYDRO X XC9 RGB 2066/sTR4 CPU Water Block Quick Start Guide

Thank you for this as that pretty much answers everything.

I'm kinda bummed the inlet is not on the left side of the block because most builds use a cylinder res/pump combo and most of the time for a tight/short clean running loop, you'll have the bottom 'OUT' of the pump enter the bottom section of the case whether it be a front or bottom rad than or to the GPU, than to the CPU, than to the top/front rad or just back to the top of the 'IN' of the cylinder reservoir creating a simple clockwise flow. This design will force some to crisscross their tubings or for those that have bay res/pump combos would be of convinience if you were to go counterclockwise in the loop.

Regardless, I'm still thinking about getting one once I drain again for a CPU/MB/RAM upgrade in the coming months or year but that depends if I want a upside down block. Bummer since I'd like to slowly start implementing a little Corsair back to the rig other than the AX1200i.

Thanks again for the response.

Ahh ... missed the XC7 2066 version.

However, the manuals are available online. And the manual does state which side is inlet and which side is outlet.

Yep. Got all that, thanks.

Edited by GTXJackBauer

Thank you for this as that pretty much answers everything.

I'm kinda bummed the inlet is not on the left side of the block because most builds use a cylinder res/pump combo and most of the time for a tight/short clean running loop, you'll have the bottom 'OUT' of the pump enter the bottom section of the case whether it be a front or bottom rad than or to the GPU, than to the CPU, than to the top/front rad back or just back to the top of the 'IN' of the cylinder reservoir creating a simple clockwise flow. This design will force some to crisscross their tubings or for those that have bay res/pump combos would be of convinience if you were to go counterclockwise in the loop.

Regardless, I'm still thinking about getting one once I drain again for a CPU/MB/RAM upgrade in the coming months or year but that depends if I want a upside down block. Bummer since I'd like to slowly start implementing a little Corsair back to the rig other than the AX1200i.

Thanks again for the response.

Yep. Got all that, thanks.

You can always just flip the top trim on the CPU block 180 degrees. It is just being held in place with 4 screws, so taking these out and flipping it around would give you the inlet on the left, and still have the logo in the bottom.

You can always just flip the top trim on the CPU block 180 degrees. It is just being held in place with 4 screws, so taking these out and flipping it around would give you the inlet on the left, and still have the logo in the bottom.

You're saying, flip the CPU WB upside down, unscrew the top trim and flip it and now I'll have the left to right flow design without impeding performance?

You're saying, flip the CPU WB upside down, unscrew the top trim and flip it and now I'll have the left to right flow design without impeding performance?

Unscrew the top, remount in 180 degrees so inlet is now opposite, and screw it back together. Don't overtighten the screws when you put it back together.

62557707_616409628869830_2443617893552750592_n.thumb.jpg.594a8f2a52915f904f254bd65320ea69.jpg

64412293_2291663901095782_5096904317990862848_n.thumb.jpg.aec324b0bed47793e33cca7fc7a9d778.jpg

• Like 1

I was kinda disappointed to see Acetal not being used for the threaded ports. I've used acrylic before and it can get easily stressed.

They also should have added this kind of info in their manual if people want to change it's flow configuration without impeding performance. It would also be a great selling point compared to other mfgers, even if you could do the same, I think advertising it as a extra or added feature can grab some positive reactions because for me, that might be the decision maker over other blocks, the one that looks good and has versatility.

Again, thank you for the explanation with the included pics, Pope. Great info!

If you don't mind me asking since I'm really curious since the whole product line is very new, did you also purchase and do the same?

Edited by GTXJackBauer

• Corsair Employee

Transparent part of the CPU water block, including threaded ports is made out of high grade nylon.

Material will not be stressed unless some brutal force is applied while tightening the fittings.

Thank you for the comment about remounting the top trim. We will continue to monitor and update our instalaltion manual in case of more inquiries.

Transparent part of the CPU water block, including threaded ports is made out of high grade nylon.

Material will not be stressed unless some brutal force is applied while tightening the fittings.

Thank you for the comment about remounting the top trim. We will continue to monitor and update our instalaltion manual in case of more inquiries.

Thank you for that added info.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to ask, are we able to change the silver trim on the XC9 (2066) to black?

I also realized, both the XC9 and XC7 have a difference of 10 micro cooling fins 70 vs 60.

Mind you, I'm looking to replace my current Swiftech block (2011) with a Corsair CPU WB on a 5930K - 2011v3 socket, in the next coming days.

Edited by GTXJackBauer