Corsair Community

XMS3 16GB C9 only gives 8GB on my ASRock H61MV-ITX board.

Schoooby

Hello all.

This is to do with a mini-PC I bought recently on eBay. It has an oldish ASRock H61MV-ITX board running an i5-2400 CPU.

It was sold as having 16GB RAM - which is does have - but I was surprised to find this was made up of one conventional 8GB RAM stick but the other was a Crucial XMS3 C9 stick which boasts 16GB (2x8GB) on it own. With both sticks installed they give me 16GB, but the 16GB Crucial XMS3 on its own gives only 8GB.

Can anyone explain why the 16GB Crucial gives me only 8GB on its own? Is it a compatibility issue with the board, for example? Is there anything I can do about this?!

(I am assuming that the "16GB (2x8GB)" on the label means that it is effectively a dual memory stick with 2 banks of 8GB on board... Is this the case?!)

Many thanks.

Edited by Schoooby

This is the actual stick of memory in question. I have been told that this stick IS only 8GB and is designed to be used as a pair.

Can anyone confirm, please - is this single stick 8 or 16GB?!

Thanks.

This looks like a 8GB stick from a 16GB set. So basically your running two different vendor sticks of 8GB memory for a total of 16GB.

Thanks A Computer Guy.

I believe you're right. I was thrown by the '16GB' labelling when I obtained it as a single Corsair stick; it must have originally sold as a matched pair.

Silly labelling, I think. But hey...

Cheers :-)