The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2018, 07:30 PM
Kingseh Kingseh is offline
Registered User
Kingseh's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 934459
Kingseh Reputation: 10
Default Fans extremely loud with CPU Q-Fan Control disabled?

Hi,

Just recently set up my PC, with the H100i v2 as my CPU cooler. My temps seem fine all around the board, so that is good. However I read somewhere in these forums that it is best to disable Q-Fan control for the H100i v2.

Upon doing this my fan speeds became very loud to the point I had to change it back to Auto as it was so annoying. My temps however, stayed around about the same in both modes. Are my fans supposed to become this loud when Q-Fan is disabled? (My H100i v2 is plugged into the CPU fan header, with the radiator fans attached via the splitter) or should I change something?

If you need any other info, please just ask.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 PM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,256
POST ID # = 934469
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107
Default

Use the Corsair Link software for controlling the radiator fans, pump speed, and LED. The BIOS setting is not for fan control. The unit needs a 12v supply and trying to adjust speed through it is likely to have some negative long term effects.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 PM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,535
POST ID # = 934470
DevBiker Reputation: 88
Default

YES! You should disable Q-Fan Control.
Otherwise you pump will not get the 12v that it needs to operate properly and you run the risk of damaging the pump. Which is bad.
Disable that Q-Fan control for the CPU Fan header and let's talk about the fan noise. Can you start with posting the configuration for your pump fans? And are you using the stock fans or have you swapped them out?
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 01-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Kingseh Kingseh is offline
Registered User
Kingseh's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 934474
Kingseh Reputation: 10
Default

I am using the stock fans that came with the H100i v2 (SP120L I believe). I have the radiator at the front of the case with these two SP120L’s intaking through the radiator. I then have 2 AF140’s exhausting at the top & 1 AF120 exhausting at the back.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 01-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Kingseh Kingseh is offline
Registered User
Kingseh's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 934477
Kingseh Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Use the Corsair Link software for controlling the radiator fans, pump speed, and LED. The BIOS setting is not for fan control. The unit needs a 12v supply and trying to adjust speed through it is likely to have some negative long term effects.
I have done this. However correct me if I’m wrong but the way to ensure the cooler gets the 12V needed, I have to disable CPU Q-Fan control? When I do this my PC becomes very loud which I have not read anywhere that this happens to other people, any idea why?
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 01-08-2018, 09:43 PM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,256
POST ID # = 934484
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingseh View Post
I have done this. However correct me if I’m wrong but the way to ensure the cooler gets the 12V needed, I have to disable CPU Q-Fan control? When I do this my PC becomes very loud which I have not read anywhere that this happens to other people, any idea why?
When you don't disable the CPU fan (or set it to 100%/Full Speed/Maximum, etc.), you are reducing the voltage to the cooler. This slows down the pump and the fans. Put it up to 100% so you don't wreck the cooler, then use the Link software to turn the fans back down. You need Link to see your coolant temperature and to then make an appropriate decision about how much fan speed you really need.

If for whatever reason you can't or don't want to use Link, take the fans off the H100i v2 pump block and connect them to your motherboard. They can go on CPU/OPT and then move the H100i v2 to a CHA header or AIO/W_PUMP header if your board has one. Rules for the cooler still apply and it needs the Full Speed/Disabled setting to keep the pump going. Control the fans normally through the BIOS settings.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 01-08-2018, 09:44 PM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,535
POST ID # = 934485
DevBiker Reputation: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingseh View Post
I have done this. However correct me if I’m wrong but the way to ensure the cooler gets the 12V needed, I have to disable CPU Q-Fan control? When I do this my PC becomes very loud which I have not read anywhere that this happens to other people, any idea why?
Yes, again, that is correct.
Now, why things become loud depends on your Link configuration and your coolant temperature. There are lots of reasons and it doesn't behoove any of us for us to sit here and guess without some baseline information. So please post it your fan configuration for Link and possibly the current readings from the sensors (temp and fan speed). Until you do that, we cannot help you.
And ... how long have you been running the pump QFan Enabled?
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Kingseh Kingseh is offline
Registered User
Kingseh's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 934494
Kingseh Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Yes, again, that is correct.
Now, why things become loud depends on your Link configuration and your coolant temperature. There are lots of reasons and it doesn't behoove any of us for us to sit here and guess without some baseline information. So please post it your fan configuration for Link and possibly the current readings from the sensors (temp and fan speed). Until you do that, we cannot help you.
And ... how long have you been running the pump QFan Enabled?
Really appreciate the replies guys! Sorry if I’m a bit uneducated about these things only recently got into PC’s. I have been running QFan enabled for about 1 and a half days now.

I have attached the info I think you asked for. If there is anything else you need, again please let me know. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CPU Fan Config.jpeg (108.3 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpeg Fan 1 Config.jpeg (103.2 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpeg Fan 2 Config.jpeg (100.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpeg Fan 3 Config.jpeg (106.0 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpeg Fan 4 Config.jpeg (99.6 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Readings.jpg (122.6 KB, 334 views)
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 01-08-2018, 10:52 PM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,535
POST ID # = 934495
DevBiker Reputation: 88
Default

These fans are loud? At this load? They are only at 720 RPM. And, on the quiet profile, they won't go above ... 50%, if I recall correctly. Now, you run those stock fans at 100% and they'll resemble a 737 at takeoff ... but at 50%, they aren't going to be very loud. You're even less than that. You have other fans running faster.
I don't see anything of any concern at all here. Pump RPMs are good (you have the quiet profile for the pump) and, if anything, I have to ask how bloody cold do you keep your room?? (Note, also, I'm from SE Texas so I'm putting on a parka at 50F/10C.)
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 01-08-2018, 11:06 PM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,256
POST ID # = 934497
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107
Default

Your coolant temp is 19C. That is as low as you can go in a normal room without refrigeration. No matter the fan setting, they should be at the minimum. If the fans are jumping around or racing, let us know. They should not do this. On the other hand, the SP120L fans were designed to win a cooling contest and not for the lowest noise profile possible. If it is the tone that is displeasing, there are other choices.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 AM
Kingseh Kingseh is offline
Registered User
Kingseh's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 934541
Kingseh Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
These fans are loud? At this load? They are only at 720 RPM. And, on the quiet profile, they won't go above ... 50%, if I recall correctly. Now, you run those stock fans at 100% and they'll resemble a 737 at takeoff ... but at 50%, they aren't going to be very loud. You're even less than that. You have other fans running faster.
I don't see anything of any concern at all here. Pump RPMs are good (you have the quiet profile for the pump) and, if anything, I have to ask how bloody cold do you keep your room?? (Note, also, I'm from SE Texas so I'm putting on a parka at 50F/10C.)
Thats what I was thinking at such a low temp they shouldn’t be this loud. My room is around 15C, being from the UK this is the norm (unfortunately). Interestingly I have noticed the RPM on all my fans stays basically the same with Q-Fan enabled/disabled, yet disabled is much louder than enabled. Very odd.
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 01-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Kingseh Kingseh is offline
Registered User
Kingseh's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 934542
Kingseh Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Your coolant temp is 19C. That is as low as you can go in a normal room without refrigeration. No matter the fan setting, they should be at the minimum. If the fans are jumping around or racing, let us know. They should not do this. On the other hand, the SP120L fans were designed to win a cooling contest and not for the lowest noise profile possible. If it is the tone that is displeasing, there are other choices.
I would say that they are racing when Q fan is disabled, however I can’t work out why, RPM does not differ with it enabled/disabled. I might try and replace the SP120L’s on the radiator to see if that makes a difference, what’s thought to be good quiet corsair fans to put on radiators nowadays?
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 AM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,256
POST ID # = 934547
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107
Default

I guess the other thing you need to be careful of is whether or not the radiator fans are the real noise makers. At 700 rpm, you shouldn't hear any 120mm fan without putting your ear next to it. Noisy pumps are a little more common. Again, you should have to put your ear pretty close to know it is running. This also seems relevant since you are not seeing a speed change in Link. If the fans were racing you would see it go 700-1000-700-1200-700 etc.

I am always up for a fan swap, although I think we should pin down the origin of your issues before committing further. The ML120 Pro is an easy like for like replacement with all the same performance and a much smoother tone. The downside is it's also a 2400 rpm fan, so it will spin up high on boot, wake, etc. If you really don't like that aspect, the new RGB version caps the speed much lower and it you are unlikely to need speeds higher than 1600 for anything. To be clear, the normal PRO version is PWM and can be set as low as you like. It is only on power on where it might do a fan check to 100%. There are also a plethora of RGB options that run lower speeds and should be less noisy.
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:48 AM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,535
POST ID # = 934548
DevBiker Reputation: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingseh View Post
I would say that they are racing when Q fan is disabled, however I can’t work out why, RPM does not differ with it enabled/disabled. I might try and replace the SP120L’s on the radiator to see if that makes a difference, what’s thought to be good quiet corsair fans to put on radiators nowadays?
If the RPMs are the same, how can you say that they fans are racing? It sounds like something else may be going on here. Do you, perhaps, have a fan on the CPU_OPT header? The CPU_OPT header "follows" the CPU header so if you have a fan on there ... well ... it'll be at 100%.
And I agree with c-attack ... the no-brainer replacements for these fans are the ML series fans. Excellent performance and much, much quieter, even at full speed.
But do not, for any reason or under any condition, change the fan header for the pump. You absolutely need to make sure that it gets a continuous 12V at all times. Running without it for an extended period of time WILL (not may, will absolutely, positively) cause issues with the pump.
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 01-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Kingseh Kingseh is offline
Registered User
Kingseh's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 934554
Kingseh Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
If the RPMs are the same, how can you say that they fans are racing? It sounds like something else may be going on here. Do you, perhaps, have a fan on the CPU_OPT header? The CPU_OPT header "follows" the CPU header so if you have a fan on there ... well ... it'll be at 100%.
And I agree with c-attack ... the no-brainer replacements for these fans are the ML series fans. Excellent performance and much, much quieter, even at full speed.
But do not, for any reason or under any condition, change the fan header for the pump. You absolutely need to make sure that it gets a continuous 12V at all times. Running without it for an extended period of time WILL (not may, will absolutely, positively) cause issues with the pump.
Feel like I keep saying it, but thanks again both of you for the replies. Wouldn’t have a clue what to do without you two. Please let me know if there is a ratings system or something I can use to show you both gratitude for the help on these dorums. I took c-attack’s advice & by stopping each fan individually, I figured out it was only one of the radiator fans making such a loud noise (the rest being almost silent). I am going to check for any wires disrupting the fan and try replacing it with a different one to see if it is a problem with the fan itself.
Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
cooling, fans, h100i v2, loud

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.