Corsair Community

Not Able to Add to Groups

aburton

I just got a H110i GTX, I've owned a H100 and an H110i GT.

In both of those, I could group the LED of the Cooler fans to any sensor on the motherboard.

Now that I've installed 3.2.5676 I get the error message on every device "The device can be associated with its own sensor only."

I've uninstalled the program and removed all data from the appdata\roaming\corsair directory.

Any suggestions? This is rather upsetting.

"The device can be associated with its own sensor only."

With my H80iGT I get the same effect :[pouts:, but not with my H110iGT :cool:.

From the message and what I know about the protocol I suspect the Asetek firmware in the H80iGT, H100iGTX and H110iGTX only supports the LED being controlled by the internal temperature :(:. I know that the CoolIT firmware used in the H110iGT, H100i, H80i and CLCC can set the LED colour based on a temperature setup by the control software such as CL and my SIV utility :biggrin:. I also recall other posts about this difference :sigh!:.

Assuming I am correct there is no way to get your H110iGTX LED setup as you wish.

You should add your PC Specs to your profile.

With my H80iGT I get the same effect :[pouts:, but not with my H110iGT :cool:.

From the message and what I know about the protocol I suspect the Asetek firmware in the H80iGT, H100iGTX and H110iGTX only supports the LED being controlled by the internal temperature :(:. I know that the CoolIT firmware used in the H110iGT, H100i, H80i and CLCC can set the LED colour based on a temperature setup by the control software such as CL and my SIV utility :biggrin:. I also recall other posts about this difference :sigh!:.

Assuming I am correct there is no way to get your H110iGTX LED setup as you wish.

You should add your PC Specs to your profile.

First, I want you to know how much I appreciate your involvement on these here forums and particularly your response to my question.

I probably wasn't clear enough, I don't really care all too much about the LED. But the fact I can't match my fans to a particular sensor is alarming. I should be able to have the fans go up when the CPU temp is high right? Right now I can only associate it to the cooler temp and there is between a 2 and 5 degree difference.

In addition, I can set a custom curve ONLY for the cooler fan. AI Suite 3 doesn't even register any RPMs on the CPU fan. So the only way to control it is via the LINK software. And the only way I can really control the other fans is through the AI Suite 3 software.

Corsair advertised this as their best, most advanced water cooler yet. But the inability to configure it at all makes it rather a poor product or am I missing something?

No, this a very different and his main concern is the Pump + Fans feedback temperature selection being limited to the Cooler's on-board sensor.

That is my same question how to reassign the LED (Sensor) to a different area like my GPU temp.

I probably wasn't clear enough, I don't really care all too much about the LED. But the fact I can't match my fans to a particular sensor is alarming. I should be able to have the fans go up when the CPU temp is high right? Right now I can only associate it to the cooler temp and there is between a 2 and 5 degree difference.

I can only answer the questions you ask ;):. I suspect your motherboard is an ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99E_WSUSB_31/) and you have Windows x64, but which version.

I have just checked what I can configure for my H80iGT Pump + Fans to and after doing this they seem to have exactly the same restrictions as the LED :(:. I expect this is for the same reasons as the LED.

I expect I could write code to work-a-round what I assume is a limitation in the Asetek firmware (once I have fully figured out the protocol), but to my thinking needing to keep calculating and then setting a different PWM % as a temperature external to the cooler changes is a step backwards :confused:. On the CoolIT devices the control software only needs to write the external temperature to a register and the firmware takes care of the fan/pump speed setting to match the custom curve/points :cool:.

I look forward to Corsair explaining to us how this is "more advanced" than what is possible with the CoolIT H110iGT, H100i and H80i :dunno:.

I can only answer the questions you ask ;):. I suspect your motherboard is an ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99E_WSUSB_31/) and you have Windows x64, but which version.

I was up entirely too late, so my profile better reflects what I have. It's Windows 7 Pro x64.

Kudos to you and Corsair Dustin, for the work you do on these forums, but I have to say I'm pretty depressed about these coolers. I love my RGB K70 Keyboard and my Carbide case. But I'm disappointed in these closed loops.

The H110i GT comes with poor fans and the H110i GTX doesn't work as well as the GT and costs more!

What's baffling me it that, in my mind, this functionality constitutes a MAJOR difference between the two models and yet, I was and still am unable to find anyone commenting on it.

Well, I received my official answer through tech support and boy is it irksome

Me: Any time I try to associate the fan or pump with anything but the cooler temp group, I get the error "This device can be associated with its own sensor only.

Corsair: This is correct. The fans and pump on our H110i GTX can only be assigned to the H110i GTX temperature. Link version 3.2.5676 actually only lists the H110i GTX temperature group for the fans and pump.

That last bit isn't even accurate. I can see 7 groups total.

Well, I received my official answer through tech support and boy is it irksome

Is that all they said? Corsair, given I see the same issues with my H80iGT please can address the following:

1. Given a software solution to allow any sensor is quite simple why has this not been implemented?
  2. Will the next release of CL 3.2 be able to use external sensors?
  3. Will the first release of CL 4 be able to use external sensors?
  4. Will CL 4 eventually be able to use external sensors?
  5. Will there also be a solution for LEDs?
  6. On what date is there expected to be a solution from Corsair?

I suspect I will implement a software solution in SIV :cool:.

• Corsair Employee
Is that all they said? Corsair, given I see the same issues with my H80iGT please can address the following:
  1. Given a software solution to allow any sensor is quite simple why has this not been implemented?

The Asetek hardware is...silly. I can't say more than that. But the controller in it is significantly weaker than the one in the CoolIT-based H110i GT.

Will the next release of CL 3.2 be able to use external sensors?

We'll probably try to cobble together a hack, but don't get your hopes up.

Will the first release of CL 4 be able to use external sensors?
Will CL 4 eventually be able to use external sensors?
Will there also be a solution for LEDs?
On what date is there expected to be a solution from Corsair?

I suspect I will implement a software solution in SIV :cool:.

I wish I could tell you. There are some astonishing limitations to the Asetek hardware.

The Asetek hardware is...silly. I can't say more than that. But the controller in it is significantly weaker than the one in the CoolIT-based H110i GT.

I wish I could tell you. There are some astonishing limitations to the Asetek hardware.

Thank you and I am starting to feel the Asetek protocol is micky mouse when compared to CoolIT. I keep trying to figure out how to make the Asetek firmware do what the CoolIT does and it looks like many things are impossible. I can guess why the new coolers are Asetek and suspect Corsair had little option.

With it comes to CL I never get my hopes up :roll:. SIV is as I suspected and 5.03 Beta-00 now has all the code for the software solution :D:. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796244.

Corsair have specified that there are no differences between H100iV2 and H100iGTX firmware, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=832507. I expect this is incorrect, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=864594

The firmware differences are huge and even Corsair admit "Asetek hardware is...silly".

1. CoolIT H110i + H110iGT have two and H100i + H80i have four fan controllers, all Asetek only have one.
  2. CoolIT can use any temperature source, most Asetek can only use the Cooler Temperature. AFAIK the H115i + H100iV2 + H80iV2 can use any, but only for the fan.
  3. CoolIT firmware can be updated, Asetek can't, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=793290
  4. CoolIT lights have far more functionality than the Asetek, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=861485.
  5. CoolIT reports the pump speed to CPU_FAN, Asetek reports a fan speed.
  6. I suspect the H115i/H100iV2/H80iV2 may report half the pump speed :[pouts:, but AFAIK Corsair have not specified this to be the situation :(:.
  7. CoolIT use the standard Microsoft HID Device Driver, Asetek need a Corsair supplied Device Driver which caused a BSOD on my system, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=845182 + http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=898187 from a different member.
  8. Corsair are rather good at saying all is OK and failing to fully address all the points, namely the above BSODs.
  9. CL 4.8.0.82 seems to have issues installing the Asetek driver see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=912588. You could try the driver I attached to http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=856104.

If Corsair were sensible they would release the CoolIT based 240mm H100iGT.

All the different 280mm coolers can be rather confusing, with luck this will help.

1. Asetek make the H115i (Radiator dimensions: 140mm x 312mm x 26mm.) which replaced the older H110iGTX (Radiator dimensions: 140mm x 312mm x 26mm).
  2. CoolIT make the H110i (Radiator dimensions: 140mm x 322mm x 27mm.) which replaced the older H110iGT (Radiator dimensions: 140mm x 322mm x 27mm).
  3. The CoolIT H110i will fit Ryzen (AM4) without needing the special AM4 bracket that Corsair failed to provide in a timely manor.
  4. Cooling wise all four coolers are much the same, are powered by a SATA power connector and provide a total of 2 amps for the PWM fans.
  5. Only PWM fans are supported by all four.
  6. The CoolIT coolers have two fan controllers and the Asetek ones only have one so only report one fan speed.
  7. The CoolIT coolers report the pump speed to the CPU_FAN header and the Asetek ones a fan speed, the same fan speed is reported via USB as the H110iGTX fan speed.
  8. Because Asetek coolers don't report the pump speed to the CPU fan header it's tricky to get the pump speed 'till Windows is installed which makes it tricky to know if the pump is faulty when initially building the system.
  9. I suspect the H115i may report half the pump speed :[pouts:, but AFAIK Corsair have not specified this to be the situation :(:.
  10. The H115i has improved firmware over the H110iGTX, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=864594
  11. All CoolIT coolers have far better firmware than Asetek coolers, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=795986.
  12. There are far more LED control options with the CoolIT coolers, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=861485 and my post above it.
  13. I recommend the CoolIT H110i as the CoolIT firmware has more facilities than the Asetek and it reports both fan speeds. The older CoolIT H110iGT is my 2nd choice.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the noob question but are you saying the GT is better then the GTX over all?

My technical opinion is that the H110iGT firmware is far better then the H110iGTX firmware. In general all the CoolIT based coolers have better firmware than the Asetek based coolers.

Excuse my ignorance but what about the firmware makes it better?

Excuse my ignorance but what about the firmware makes it better?

The CoolIT firmware is better as it has far more functionality.

For openers the Asetek firmware you are "Not Able to Add to Groups" which is what this thread is asking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I own a H110i GTX cooler. As I read the thread I can see it is not superior to the GT version rather worse... : /

So my main issue is when I would like to add custom curve to the Cooler Fan I only can set my Cooler Pump from the Group drop down menu.

I cannot put my CPU and the Cooler fan in the same group.. Is that real?

I mean my CPU could be 90C+ but my Cooler Pump only about 40 so it will damage my CPU before my Fan will change speed. (and of course the cpu temp can rise in 2sec but the cooler pump needs time).

What I'm trying to say here that it should be mandatory for that program (or any fan curve app) to change the fan curve according to the precise CPU temp right away.

BUT here I cannot put them in the same group?

Could we fix this some how?

Or is there any option to send back the product and get my money back or swap to a GT version?

(PS: It's like your salary and your work couldn't be at the same group. No matter how hard you work how many overtime you take, you would have the very same junior salary. The only difference it can damage the CPU if use the custom curve option with not being in the same group my CPU and Cooler Fan)

is there any option to send back the product and get my money back or swap to a GT version?

That depends how long you have had it and where you got it from.

AFAIK only the GT will do what you wish to do when using CL 3.2.5742 and earlier.

It's possible that a future CL release could have the software work-a-round, but don't hold you breath!

• 5 months later...

Not to necro this thread, but I would like to know if the limitations in the H110i GTX have been fixed. Does it offer the same usability as the H110i GT now? I am asking because I have a H110i GT that I believe has suffered pump failure, and the local distributor has informed me that they no longer carry H110i GT, so if they can only replace my H110i GT with the H110i GTX. They did say I can create an RMA ticket with CORSAIR myself and get it replaced that way, but doing so incurs a shipping cost, so I don't know if it is worth it.

Please, seasoned experts, help me.

I would like to know if the limitations in the H110i GTX have been fixed.

In a word no.

The CoolIT H110iGT has been replaced by the CoolIT H110i so that it what I advise you to get.

The Asetek H110iGTX became the Asetek H115i which is not as bad, but the firmware is still not as good the CoolIT firmware.

I am not sure what the return shipping will be, what country are you in?

Hi red-ray, I was praying to FSM that you'd reply since you're the resident expert. Thank you so much (I was gonna pm you but you turned it off since you have so many lost souls like my bombarding you with questions). So H110i now is the same as the H110i GT that I have? I am in Singapore.

So H110i now is the same as the H110i GT that I have? I am in Singapore.

As I said the H110iGT was replaced by the H110i, but as the H110i has later firmware I doubt they are "the same". Either way the H110i has better firmware than any Asetek cooler.

I don't know the RMA location for you, at a guess Taiwan.

Hi red-ray, so I've spoken to Corsair and I'm able to do an RMA with them, and they've offered me a choice of H110i and H110i GT. They are both by CoolIT as you've mentioned, but do you know what differences exist between them? How do I page someone? @Corsair Dustin? Should I stick with the H110i GT or the H110i?

And yes, the RMA location is Taiwan since my local distributor only have H110i GTX which I do not want as a replacement.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry to update this topic, but i'm a bit lost. I was planning to buy the H115i or H100i V2, but after reading this, i'm really hesitating. Did corsair fix all the issues with the firmware now? Is it still worth it to buy one of these 2 models?

Thanks for your reply!

Archived