The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
flaskepost's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430923
flaskepost Reputation: 10
Default corsair obsidian 800d weight

Hey guys.

I maybe want to buy the Obsidian case, but i can't find out how much it weight? So i was wondering if some of you knows the weight?

The weight is primary a problem because i goes to Lan-parties every 3rd week or so.

So do you think the case is too big to be used to lan-parties?

I apologies for my bad english...

Old 12-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430924
Wired Reputation: 32

Something around 42 pounds including packaging.

I wouldn't take it to a LAN party unless you've got a dolly or you mod the case to have wheels.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 12-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Raptor-X's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430979
Raptor-X Reputation: 10

This is NOT a travel friendly case. It is both Large (Bulky) & Heavy. You will be disappointed if you purchase this case with the intent of frequent travel.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:39 AM
x509's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430982
x509 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
Something around 42 pounds including packaging.

I wouldn't take it to a LAN party unless you've got a dolly or you mod the case to have wheels.
Speaking of which, can anyone recommend wheels that are strong enough for this case, assuming that you will watercool and have 5-6 hard drives.

I assume that there have to be wheels on all six case feet.

Thanks,

x509

Old 12-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430983

Plant the sucka on a couple of skateboards.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group

Old 12-15-2009, 06:08 PM
trond's PC Specs

POST ID # = 431108
trond Reputation: 10

I mounted 4 furniture wheels on the bottom of a black shelf plate that fit the size of the 800D. Incredible convenient, not only when I built the system, but when I need to move the case (f.ex. to reach the dust filter that pulls out from behind).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obsidian1.jpg (96.6 KB, 2173 views)

Old 12-16-2009, 02:52 AM
x509's PC Specs

POST ID # = 431150

Quote:
Originally Posted by trond View Post
I mounted 4 furniture wheels on the bottom of a black shelf plate that fit the size of the 800D. Incredible convenient, not only when I built the system, but when I need to move the case (f.ex. to reach the dust filter that pulls out from behind).
Trond,

I really, really like your solution. Where did you get the plate and the wheels? website or your local Home Depot or similar? How would you search for the wheels, say by load capacity.

Great post.

x509

Old 12-16-2009, 11:25 AM
trond's PC Specs

POST ID # = 431197

Quote:
Originally Posted by x509 View Post
Trond,

I really, really like your solution. Where did you get the plate and the wheels? website or your local Home Depot or similar? How would you search for the wheels, say by load capacity.

Great post.

x509
I got the shelf plate from Ikea. I gave the back edge a little black paint, since the side that goes towards the wall is blank. The wheels I got here. Takes the weight of the case (16kg) easily. They are your pretty generic rotating furniture casters, so should be found in any decent hardware store. Depending on the surface, rubber wheels might be better than plastic though. Four solid wood screws on each wheel, and I was set. Very cheap solution too, total cost didn't amount to much at all.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 431239

IKEA ****ing rocks :)

Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM
x509's PC Specs

POST ID # = 431257

Quote:
Originally Posted by trond View Post
I got the shelf plate from Ikea.
Ikea is also very big here in the US, otherwise known as "the colonies."

Quote:
I gave the back edge a little black paint, since the side that goes towards the wall is blank.
I could probably get a half-inch thick piece of wood of the right length at my local Home Depot, and then paint it.

Did you use matte black or glossy black paint?

Quote:
The wheels I got here. Takes the weight of the case (16kg) easily. They are your pretty generic rotating furniture casters, so should be found in any decent hardware store. Depending on the surface, rubber wheels might be better than plastic though. Four solid wood screws on each wheel, and I was set. Very cheap solution too, total cost didn't amount to much at all.
Obviously I won't order from the UK all the way over to the western part of the USA. Shipping would cost more than the goods themselves. But, now I know what to order.

I like your solution much more than messing around with the actual case feet. I think it was Dallanar who went out and got Lian-Li wheels, 3 sets. Very nice looking, but pricey.

Another reason I like your solution is that it gets the case off the floor. In my case, the floor is carpeted, so the bottom intake fan would be sucking in a lot of dust. This way less dust will be sucked in, and the filter will not need to be cleaned as frequently.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 PM
trond's PC Specs

POST ID # = 431260

Quote:
Originally Posted by x509 View Post
Obviously I won't order from the UK all the way over to the western part of the USA. Shipping would cost more than the goods themselves.
Yes, I noticed you were in the US, that's why I mentioned how they probably are available everywhere.

I used matte paint (the shelf isn't glossy either).

And you seem to have the exact same motives as I already had. As A), I neither wanted to mess with the case itself, in case I might place it permanently somewhere someday. And B), I also suspect a lot of dust would be sucked right in from the floor, but now it doesn't. That's why I got a shelf plate that is slightly bigger than the case width/length.

Also, the case has rubber mounts beneath the feet, and the 800D sits completely glued to the shelf. I can easily move it by pushing on the case itself.

Last edited by trond; 12-16-2009 at 07:09 PM.

Tags
case weight, obsidian, wéight