The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Jeremy1998's PC Specs

POST ID # = 606506
Jeremy1998 Reputation: 10
Default Suggestion: User Inputs

Hello people. I have the Corsair Link, and I would like to see a way to physically interface with the link. For example, I want to have a fan profile for gaming, normal use, and night time. I would like a way to hit a physical push button and change modes. I know that not everyone wants this, and it would be a very specific market... But the Corsair Link as a whole is a very small market. Please consider this for those of us who might use it.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 606592
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

That is not a bad idea actually, but to be clear you mean making a Hot button like at the bottom for the different Profiles you have saved? Is that the idea?

Last edited by RAM GUY; 10-09-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Jeremy1998's PC Specs

POST ID # = 606623

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
That is not a bad idea actually, but to be clear you mean making a Hot button like at the bottom for the different Profiles you have saved? Is that the idea?
I mean a Corsair Link module, that has little 2 pin connectors. And then you can hook up your own pushbutton / whatever up to it. And then the Corsair Link can then read if the switch is open or closed (on or off). And then you can use that button press to change the mode.

So I am talking about an actual button that you press with your finger, like an Anti-Vandal switch.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 10-09-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 606905

I see well I will pass it along, we have talked about that, but I think we elected to keep the control by software.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Jeremy1998's PC Specs

POST ID # = 606916

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
I see well I will pass it along, we have talked about that, but I think we elected to keep the control by software.
Well, mention this to them:
When you want to speed up your fans for gaming, it's easier to press a button than open the software and change it.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 606936

NO Problem, noted!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Macforth's PC Specs

POST ID # = 606996
Macforth Reputation: 10

My thoughts are that the most efficient method (and totally suits a lazy-bones like me) is having the fan speed controlled by software set to a particular temperature.

Jeremy, you say that when you want to speed your fans up for gaming..........and by that I assume that you mean to overcome any rise in temps as a result of the extra the game places on CPU and GPU(s); that extra speed will keep temps at an acceptable level.

What better way than have the fans automatically increase in speed as the temps rise.....through software.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Jeremy1998's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macforth View Post
My thoughts are that the most efficient method (and totally suits a lazy-bones like me) is having the fan speed controlled by software set to a particular temperature.

Jeremy, you say that when you want to speed your fans up for gaming..........and by that I assume that you mean to overcome any rise in temps as a result of the extra the game places on CPU and GPU(s); that extra speed will keep temps at an acceptable level.

What better way than have the fans automatically increase in speed as the temps rise.....through software.
Well, I know you can set the fan speed... But then that can make the fans rev up and down because as the fans speed up, it cools down, causing the fans to slow down again.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607090
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

im not sure why one would slow fans down if high heat is present or speed them up if not needed,which is where temp activated fan control comes in.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Jeremy1998's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607103

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
im not sure why one would slow fans down if high heat is present or speed them up if not needed,which is where temp activated fan control comes in.
No, my point is that not one profile is always good for everything. When gaming with a headset, you might as well ramp up all your fans for the best temps. However, when you sleep at night, you want the fans as low as possible, and having it idle at 50c might not be a problem. But when you're actually using your system, 50c might be to high.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607104
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

you must be referring to 'set' profiles while im referring to on demand need for fan changes
there are different units available but the one i use is made by corsair called link commander
if the computer is cool then the fans run on lowest speed and increase if the temp increases ,all done auto matically
heres a screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: png full.png (570.9 KB, 218 views)

Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Jeremy1998's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607110

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
you must be referring to 'set' profiles while im referring to on demand need for fan changes
there are different units available but the one i use is made by corsair called link commander
if the computer is cool then the fans run on lowest speed and increase if the temp increases ,all done auto matically
heres a screenshot
Nevermind. I give up.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 607492
COOL GUY Reputation: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998 View Post
Hello people. I have the Corsair Link, and I would like to see a way to physically interface with the link. For example, I want to have a fan profile for gaming, normal use, and night time. I would like a way to hit a physical push button and change modes. I know that not everyone wants this, and it would be a very specific market... But the Corsair Link as a whole is a very small market. Please consider this for those of us who might use it.
We have a undocumented feature built into the Corsair Commander that does something similar to this. On the unit itself there are 8 Corsair Link Digital connectors and one small two pin plug. That is a analog input that reads voltage. It is designed to read back from a analog fan controller (such as on our 600T knob or 650D switch). This is translated in software from the 7 to 12 volts into a percentage on screen. That input in the software can then be used to assign fans to using the "custom" selection in device setup for a fan that is assigned to that data input point on the groups tab. It is not directly as you put it a "on/off" switch, but it would give you a physical knob/switch to control things if you wanted.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Jeremy1998's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607509

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOL GUY View Post
We have a undocumented feature built into the Corsair Commander that does something similar to this. On the unit itself there are 8 Corsair Link Digital connectors and one small two pin plug. That is a analog input that reads voltage. It is designed to read back from a analog fan controller (such as on our 600T knob or 650D switch). This is translated in software from the 7 to 12 volts into a percentage on screen. That input in the software can then be used to assign fans to using the "custom" selection in device setup for a fan that is assigned to that data input point on the groups tab. It is not directly as you put it a "on/off" switch, but it would give you a physical knob/switch to control things if you wanted.
Well, it's nice to know that the hardware side is there. Now if only you guys could mod the software a little bit. I could easily make my own voltage divider. So if I could set 7v (0%?) to activate profile 1, and then 9v (40%?) trigger profile 2, and so forth. For the tech savvy individual, it wouldn't be hard to set that up on the hardware side, and if you guys provide the software, I would be a very happy camper!