Corsair Community

Commander Pro random disconnects

MrMetzka

Hello Everyone,

Last weekend I purchased an H100i Platinum SE and a Commander Pro and I am experiencing a number of issues. Most of them I have not yet really solved, but but aren't bothering me too much.

In short the issues are:

• Commander Pro USB hub not working
  • Random disconnect sound
  • Random disconnect and reconnect of Commander Pro
  • H100i freakout when reading sensor data with HWInfo64

The issue that is really bothering me is the random disconnect and reconnect of the Commander Pro. During gameplay this results in the entire system hanging for a second.

My system specs are:

Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-PRO

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X

RAM: Corsair RGB Pro CMW16GX4M2C3600C18W + RGB Pro Lighting kit

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio

PSU: Corsair RM750x white

SSD: Corsair Force MP600 1TB

Software versions:

iCue: 3.21.88

H100i Platinum SE firmware: 1.01.15

Vengeance RGB Pro firmware: 0.96.57

Commander Pro firmware: 0.9.212

I have exported the logs and added an Excel file with timestamps to what happened, these were recorded on 29 October 2019.

log.zip

Regarding the "H100i freakout when reading sensor data with HWInfo64": this is a known issue and widely reported and addressed.

You need to disable Corsair Link/Asetek support in HWInfo (in Settings, under "Safety"). It's also recommended to disable the persistent driver.

This may also be the root cause of the disconnects or at least a seriously contributing factor. Note that even if you don't have HWInfo running, if you have the persistent driver loaded, it can still cause the issue.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank your for your reply. This solved the H100i problem, but the random disconnects of the Commander Pro are still happening. Could there be another possible cause?

There are other posts with the same problem.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=189994

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=189344

This has been kind of frustrating for me. Most people with this issue seem to have X570 motherboards--specifically the ASUS Prime.

This has been kind of frustrating for me. Most people with this issue seem to have X570 motherboards--specifically the ASUS Prime.

Thank you for sharing. I have solved the issue by using the NZXT Internal USB Hub. The disconnects don't happen anymore and the USB hub of the Commander Pro works now too. The NZXT Hub is a nice temporary solution.

I bought one of these splitters on Amazon to see if this would help with the disconnects, but they are still happening. I might have to try the NZXT hub like others mentioned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NTL8179/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just built my computer a couple of weeks ago, and I have mixed feelings about seeing other people having the same issue. I'm glad that I am not the only one with problems, but I am disappointed in Corsair that this is still an issue with very little communication.

• 6 months later...

We were building an overkill RGB water-cooled rig which required 7 corsair RGB fans & 4 RGB strips into the commander pro.

We ran into THIS exact issue with an ASUS x570 board.

6 fans + 4 led strips into the commander pro. everything worked.

Then for the 7th fan we needed to use a lightning node pro with an additional RGB controller and plug that into the USB of the commander pro.

This caused disconnect issues over and over.

After reading these forums we went with the NZXT Internal USB 2.0 Hub and it solved all the issues.

So whatever NZXT is doing for their USB protocol ASUS needs to copy them and fix their goddamn ****.

I honestly think this is an ASUS issue regarding piggybacking USB devices, not corsair.

This exact setup has worked on a gigabyte x570.

I am posting here because these forums helped us fix the issues we were facing, and i hope it helps someone else, or potentially gives some attention to this longstanding ASUS x570 issue.

Components in question:

ASUS Crosshair Hero Viii x570

1 x Corsair Commander Pro

1 x Corsair Lightning Node Pro

2 x Corsair RGB fan Hub Controller

7 x Corsair RGB Fans.

4 x Corsair RGB LED Strips.

Issue:

The Corsair Commander Pro's connected USB devices will disconnect randomly yet consistently from windows when plugged into the USB 2.0 header of a ASUS x570 Motherboard.

This is also present without ICUE installed.

Solution:

Purchase a NZXT Internal USB 2.0 Hub and plug the commander pro into the Hub. Plug the hub into the Asus x570 mobo.

• 3 months later...

Dammit Im outta luck. I also have the ASUS X570 PRIME motherboard. . .

• Corsair Employee
After some digging I see that this is mostly focused on ASUS AMD boards in particular (not just X570). There may be something odd going on with the controller driving the USB2.0 header in terms of power delivery on those boards which would explain why a powered USB hub like the NZXT one seems to help. Another idea would be to try an internal USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 adapter so you could plug the commander PRO into an available USB 3.0 header on the board if you've got one open.

• 1 month later...

I too am having this issue.

I just got a brand new system with the ASUS PRIME X570-P motherboard, etc. and a Commander Pro. System arrived Oct 13th 2020 and by Oct 14th the disconnect sound and the fan lights going off were happening every 1 to 10 minutes. It would also disappear from iCUE, but not every time.

Called in to manufacturer and after a lot of troubleshooting for several days they sent a new Commander Pro. It was a warranty issue since the machine was only on for a day. Theoretically they did testing on the machine before it shipped and never saw the issue.

Installed new Commander Pro on Oct. 25th. Within 2 hours the issue reappeared. This time around it is not anywhere near as frequent as the first time around.

Only thing I noticed is this one did not have a rattle to it. After the 4 hours of removing the old and installing the new one, it was disheartening.

I have only installed games and updated the drivers for everything. I did install Open Hardware Monitor and EVGA Precision X1 long after the issue reared its head.

I am frustrated.

I have not tried the hub yet as this is a brand new machine and under warranty.

I hope this can get resolved as the noise and restarting fan lights are quite irksome. I also disable the sound when gaming to prevent sanity loss.

Update: A link showing my issue visually.[ame=

]
[/ame]

Update: 11/07/2020 The maker of my PC shipped me an NZXT to test out. After 5 days of solid use with this installed between the motherboard and the commander pro my issue has gone away. Plugged in the commander pro lead to the unit and connected to the motherboard. Did not use the molex power connector.

Edited by Tehuan